What's new

TCM/Fathom 2019 (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Great presentation for Saving Private Ryan today. Definitely a 4K DCP. Looked and sounded phenomenal. There was a decent crowd and before the movie they showed a vintage featurette where the cast went to basic training.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I took my dad to Field of Dreams today, there was a decent sized crowd and a pretty good presentation. The rainy father's day here seems to have pushed many people to the theater today so I had to miss the first 15 minutes of the movie to get through the concessions line.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I took my dad to Field of Dreams today, there was a decent sized crowd and a pretty good presentation. The rainy father's day here seems to have pushed many people to the theater today so I had to miss the first 15 minutes of the movie to get through the concessions line.

I won tickets and I am taking my oldest son on Tuesday. Can’t wait! I’m from Iowa and have visited the field in dyersville as well.

I don’t own the film on dvd but do have it on vhs! Borrowed the dvd from my in laws to watch the extra features. It is a title I would like to pick up on UHd as well!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not Fathom, but my local arthouse had To Kill A Mockingbird today for Father's Day (which I missed when Fathom had it a few months ago because I was otherwise occupied that day.) So I made room for it today. It was a deeply engaged sellout crowd and was presented on their biggest screen, so it was a great experience. I've seen it before, and of course I've read the book, but it's been a lot of years since I saw it, so I'd forgotten some of the more specific details. It was as close to viewing it for the first time again as I'm likely to get, so that was a really great experience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I won tickets and I am taking my oldest son on Tuesday. Can’t wait! I’m from Iowa and have visited the field in dyersville as well.

I don’t own the film on dvd but do have it on vhs! Borrowed the dvd from my in laws to watch the extra features. It is a title I would like to pick up on UHd as well!
Paid $4.99 on iTunes and was upgraded to 4K.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Had a great time seeing Field of Dreams today with my son. His first watch and I hadn’t seen it in years. Wow it really comes alive on screen!!

We had some audio issues at the start and a loading issue during the last 10 minutes of the film as well.

They literally went into the amc digital dish set up to the file and picked up the film where it cut out. Crazy.

I hadn’t experienced anything like this in the theater before.

We were given ticket voucher passes for another movie as well.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I took my mom to Forrest Gump yesterday for her birthday. The "print" was obviously sourced from last year's UHD release since it had the same wide variety in image quality from shot to shot. I know the projection in the theater was good because in some of the sharpest shots in the film I would believe people who told me it was shot digitally in the past few years if I didn't know better.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Back from The Shawshank Redemption. I enjoyed myself but that film could definitely use a new transfer.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Star Trek the motion picture was fantastic last Sunday. I hope more trek and 007 films are considered in the future.

I was sad to miss the 007 double feature when Roger Moore passed away.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
When will the 2020 tcm schedule be announced??

I’m excited to take my oldest son to Back to the Future next year!!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nothing was listed during today's event other than the two already scheduled for December.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I want to point out that there is an actual intermission for Godfather 2 but it is only 5 minutes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I want to point out that there is an actual intermission for Godfather 2 but it is only 5 minutes.

What is the use of that? That's not enough time to do anything other than stretch in your seat.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
At no point do they tell you how long it was, but the house lights did come on so I went to the bathroom. 30 seconds after I sat down again the movie resumed. 5 minutes is better than some Fathom events I went to where it said intermission and then immediately started the entr'acte.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I really try to support these showings. At 58, I grew up seeing so many classics on an TV (first B&W, later color!) and it's such a different experience! I took my partner to see Wizard of Oz at AMC recently and he said it was like watching a different movie ("why doesn't it fill up the whole screen?" did come up!). A local art house did Universal horror classics last year. There are movies I've seen for DECADES that I get a renewed appreciation for.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Final 2019 screenings

IN THEATERS NOV 10, NOV 12, NOV 13

TCM Big Screen Classics Presents

The Godfather Part II
In what is undeniably one of the best sequels ever made, Francis Ford Coppola continues his epic Godfather trilogy with this saga of two generations of power within the Corleone family.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
ZIP CODE

IN THEATERS DEC 1, DEC 3

Presented by TCM

When Harry Met Sally... 30th Anniversary (1989)
Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) and Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) meet when they share a car on a trip from Chicago to New York. As the two build their lives and careers in Manhattan, their paths continue to cross... until they confront the decision whether to let their friendship develop into romance.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
ZIP CODE

IN THEATERS DEC 8, DEC 11

TCM Big Screen Classics Presents

Meet Me in St. Louis
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
A few years ago, The New Haven Shubert Theatre had an event for it's subscribers with free food, popcorn, candy etc. and a showing of Meet Me in St.Louis. It was from a DVD probably and they stretched the 1.33 image to fill the 1.85 screen. No one complained as that's probably what they see at home when they do the same on their TV's.

meet-me-in-st-louis-poster-824d35878f76319fc36f637a8e8f1ee2.jpg

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Went to When Harry Met Sally today, I forgot that Carrie Fisher was in the movie. This movie featured the song "Have Yourself A Very Merry Christmas" which originated in next week's film Meet Me In St Louis. Much of the comedy still holds up today.

I arrived in the theater just at the announced start time and nothing was playing on the screen at all and the house lights were on. I went to complain and was told to wait a few minutes to see if the problem miraculously fixes itself. I went back out 5 minutes later to say that it didn't somehow fix itself so the usher called upstairs with his radio. A minute or two later the picture comes on and it is 7 minutes into the movie. They then backed the show up to the middle of Ben Mankiewicz's introduction and let it play from there.

I have no idea what movies Fathom/TCM is showing next year as there is nothing currently on the Fathom schedule and they didn't show any potential slides advertising future movies.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I arrived in the theater just at the announced start time and nothing was playing on the screen at all and the house lights were on. I went to complain and was told to wait a few minutes to see if the problem miraculously fixes itself. I went back out 5 minutes later to say that it didn't somehow fix itself so the usher called upstairs with his radio. A minute or two later the picture comes on and it is 7 minutes into the movie. They then backed the show up to the middle of Ben Mankiewicz's introduction and let it play from there.

Sounds a lot like the experience I had when they screened Psycho several years ago. In my case, the program started several minutes late similar to what you described, only they started with some trivia stuff related to the movie. Then, when the original trailer started, it was discovered that the audio wasn’t working. So they ended up starting with the trivia stuff again before showing the trailer with the sound now working. Then, they showed a bunch of commercials before essentially fast-forwarding to Ben Mankiewicz’s introduction. I ended up getting a free movie pass as compensation, but I think it’s safe to say that good showmanship in theaters is on the fritz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks