What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The DVD day’s are numbered. (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The DVD day's are numbered. Just like the Laser Disc,VHS Tapes. I still like my movies & TV shows in my hand...Yes I have Amazon, Hulu, Warner Archives, NetFlix, FilmStruck.
But i still buy DVD's. Laser Disc. And have over 250 VHS tapes.
But like the VHS Tapes & Laser Disc. DVD's there days are numbered.
It will be a time yet. But it will come.
Everything will be Digital.

CD, DVD, BD, and UHD dIscs ARE digital. The digital signal is just stored on a piece of plastic, rather than on servers in the cloud.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the predictions of the death of physical media are somewhat hyperbolic. There will be someone to serve the market as long as there are people buying physical media. However, they will get more expensive as the market becomes more niche, similar to vinyl records.

I mean, everybody predicted the death of vinyl when CDs came out and, yet, vinyl is still here. In fact, the roles have reversed in terms of cost. CDs used to cost 20+ dollars a pop with vinyl going for much cheaper.

Vinyl now commands higher prices than CDs.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I can't see that 'bluray and dvd days are numbered.' The quality of discs is far superior to that of the steaming services. With a disc one can watch it anytime but with streaming services nothing is permanent. Netflix and free to air tv streaming services for example, delete shows all the time. 35 and 65 mm films are still being produced. I can't see them disappearing. Unfortunately even digital discs that we buy ,have a limited life span. Nothing lasts forever and that includes the planet that we live on.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Why was this thread bumped

Isn’t this the exact same discussion that occurred when the thread opened, and again when it was also bumped unnecessarily late last year

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I am a guild member who has been fortunate to get screeners since the days of VHS. Since then, they have evolved to Blu ray and now some are sent out as digital codes to view on a streaming basis.
One of the major award contenders was available on a streaming basis only. I always prefer disc screeners...even DVD versions over HD streaming because of inevitable technical hassles. This particular film was incapable of being mirrored from a computer to the projector. When I rearranged all my wiring to hardwire the computer to the Oppo HDMI input, I got the picture but no sound. When I figured out how to get the 5.1 sound to work, I reset the elapsed film time to the beginning to view the film. A note appeared stating I had now "used" 3 allotted viewings of the film and the code was no longer valid!
If the industry succeeds in migrating screener completely away from physical media, I imagine the entire distribution industry will relish taking more control of how and when things are allowed to be viewed.
Viewing limits, technical incompatibilities and proprietary services will increase as competing formats shrink.
The response I got from writing a note describing my frustration showed no concern for how this effected enjoyment of their potential nominee. It was mostly a technical apology for all the non compatible devices like Roku, Mac mirroring and iTV installed in Smart TV's...not being capable of showing their overly-protected film!
It was a no brained to go back to the box of disc screeners, pick a random title, and simply enjoy a new movie.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I am a guild member who has been fortunate to get screeners since the days of VHS. Since then, they have evolved to Blu ray and now some are sent out as digital codes to view on a streaming basis.
One of the major award contenders was available on a streaming basis only. I always prefer disc screeners...even DVD versions over HD streaming because of inevitable technical hassles. This particular film was incapable of being mirrored from a computer to the projector. When I rearranged all my wiring to hardwire the computer to the Oppo HDMI input, I got the picture but no sound. When I figured out how to get the 5.1 sound to work, I reset the elapsed film time to the beginning to view the film. A note appeared stating I had now "used" 3 allotted viewings of the film and the code was no longer valid!
If the industry succeeds in migrating screener completely away from physical media, I imagine the entire distribution industry will relish taking more control of how and when things are allowed to be viewed.
Viewing limits, technical incompatibilities and proprietary services will increase as competing formats shrink.
The response I got from writing a note describing my frustration showed no concern for how this effected enjoyment of their potential nominee. It was mostly a technical apology for all the non compatible devices like Roku, Mac mirroring and iTV installed in Smart TV's...not being capable of showing their overly-protected film!
It was a no brained to go back to the box of disc screeners, pick a random title, and simply enjoy a new movie.
You gotta love when everyone does their own thing, no one common standard. Pain in the ask me LOL

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
IIRC, BD unit disc sales have never to this day surpassed those of DVD.

Of course, 10+ years ago that meant something. Today, it's like having the highest income under $20,000 in your neighborhood, or something.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I think they are trying to save it. And they will for a time.
But down the road. It will go the way of. VHS tapes. Laser-Disc. just a matter of time.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think they are trying to save it. And they will for a time.
But down the road. It will go the way of. VHS tapes. Laser-Disc. just a matter of time.
Nah there will always be demand as long as we get product

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
and KINO VCI WAC SHOUT PARAMOUNT UNIVERSAL all in the game ---- we need stores that we can walk into and buy them
Yes, we do. I was at Best Buy. Target & WalMart.
And that had almost nothing. I mean zip zero.
A year ago. I could walk into Best Buy. And that had DVD's 4 K;s up the kisser. Now. Zip zero. Sad deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wolffan91
Recent bookmarks