What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The DVD day’s are numbered. (1 Viewer)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Have I got a surprise for you! This was released 5 months ago:
Sadly even when the studios do release a classic "jewel" like Bridge on the River Kwai on UHD disc, people barely notice. :)

I got it. And yes people barely notice. I notice because I check Amazon every AM. And check out what is coming out on UHD ect. I want that disc in my hand still.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
Yes, they do. I still buy them when I can find one I want.
But DVD's will go the way VHS tapes did. Just a mater of time. You can't get any new movies on VHS tapes.
All the ones I have to sell are from my own library.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Why I say that is.
Look at what you see in the stories now.
Best Buy. Zip nothing now. Target. Not much.
WalMart. The same. Online yes. But even there. It's going down. And 95% of the public wants the DVD now. And streaming is also taking the DVD market away. Yes, I still like my DVD. ect in my hand. And will keep buying. Looking to get more 4K's I have the setup. May as well use it the right way.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As I recently wrote in another thread, the problem with stores is that they really want to move their custom to on-line. It's not just entertainment discs. Clothes on shelves in stores tend to be only in common sizes. If you're too short, too tall, too thin, or too fat, you'll have a hard time finding clothes to wear in brick'n'mortar stores. Bookstores (both "new" bookstores and used bookstores) are going the way of the dodo. The list goes on.

While retail stores don't carry much (if any) in the way of movies on disc, there are plenty of e-tailers on-line to handle the traffic. Criterion, Kino, ClassicFlix, Arrow, Shout, etc. all sell directly from their websites. Amazon, DeepDiscountDVD, Oldies.com, Moviezyng, and others offer a broad range of discs from a broad range of labels.

The die-hard movie fans, like the people here, will be able to find discs for a good long while yet.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
As I recently wrote in another thread, the problem with stores is that they really want to move their custom to on-line. It's not just entertainment discs. Clothes on shelves in stores tend to be only in common sizes. If you're too short, too tall, too thin, or too fat, you'll have a hard time finding clothes to wear in brick'n'mortar stores. Bookstores (both "new" bookstores and used bookstores) are going the way of the dodo. The list goes on.

While retail stores don't carry much (if any) in the way of movies on disc, there are plenty of e-tailers on-line to handle the traffic. Criterion, Kino, ClassicFlix, Arrow, Shout, etc. all sell directly from their websites. Amazon, DeepDiscountDVD, Oldies.com, Moviezyng, and others offer a broad range of discs from a broad range of labels.

The die-hard movie fans, like the people here, will be able to find discs for a good long while yet.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
What you say is true.
But the more people start going to the online bit.
The fewer movies will be put on disc. DVD's are on the way to the LaserDisc & VHS of the past.
I just hope it's a long, long time yet.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I am a dinosaur and old is the beginning. I miss sooooo much going into Blockbuster and just looking at all the tapes and reading the description of the movies while smelling popcorn and hearing all the kids so excited that it is movie night and the whole atmosphere of being social and waiting to get home and see a great movie in the comfort of your own home.
Then the Laser disc resolution was a killer upgrade. The discs stacked like the old LPs in record stores, you could thumb through them and enjoy the art work on the covers.
Then of course the DVDs that were smaller but easier to handle, and the surround sound got better too.
Now with 4K Oppo stopped so the writing was on the wall. Trust me there is no better image than optical disc done right, like audio we have no control over the signal source so some are good and some suck.
I now have an Atmos system with an OLED display, the electronics and speakers are close to perfect as I can afford, Anthem P5 Statement for the floor, and using flat as a pancake ADS L1290/2s for floor 5 speakers. I had to build the center channel to match since the factory shut down. Still parts and service available from a tech who went to the new owner of the company.
But I am at a crossroad as to go 4K disc player like an Oppo the audiophile model that is still available used, or just go streaming. The lack of control not only with the source recording, but the bandwidth of the streamer, bit length and sampling rate just makes me insecure on when to get in. But the old physical media with the brick and motar stores are sorely missed.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi,
I'm a dinosaur also. And miss going to Blockbuster. I had the 30/30 deal with them. $30 bucks you could get a new movie every day. How I miss going to the store. Talk with other movie nuts like me. I have a few streaming accounts. I have a nice 4K set up. That is as far as I'm going. And still, pick up LaserDisc online when I see one I want. Just did pick up a few VHS tapes from EBay.
Old is still cool. I love it when I can come home. Put a VHS tape in and turn on the Monster TV. And have PopCorn and a movie.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
What you say is true.
But the more people start going to the online bit.
The fewer movies will be put on disc. DVD's are on the way to the LaserDisc & VHS of the past.
I just hope it's a long, long time yet.
In one sense you say DVDs days are numbered and in another you say you hope it may be a long, long time yet. There isn't much regarding technology that can't fit in the category of days being numbered but it may be a long, long time yet. This thread started 3.5 years ago, yet not much has changed. What time frame are you suggesting?

Yes, the footprint in physical stores has steadily decreased, but not necessarily due to reduced sales of the format. I was told that Costco and Sam's club dropped physical media due to shoplifting issues. I'm betting that's always been a concern at most retail stores due to the ease of slashing cases open and stealing the disk. Heck, DVD case manufacturers added tab to cases at one time to try and make it more difficult. During the heyday of DVD there were so many titles coming out how could a store stock titles to compete with an online presence. I would suggest online retailers is what killed the presence of physical media at stores, not that DVDs were ever going away.

While I would say streaming services are trying to be smart and not releasing their own content on physical media to try to sway consumers to keep their services, and there is no doubt many consumers stream, and overall sales of physical media has gone down. That said, physical media still maintains quite a financial presence, enough so that studios won't give it up, and DVD is still the top selling of the physical media formats.

I'd say we are still decades away at a minimum from any major changes regarding DVD's or other physical media being on the way out, and without knowing what other advancements/changes are coming down the road, why worry about it. I mean we don't fret about the demise of VHS or LaserDisc as a primary source, so why think that what ultimately happens to create the demise of DVD or physical media (as we know it now) will be bad?

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria

I buy tsod's and dvd's @ amazon,library book sale,and other stores,i like to buy things very soon on oldies.com,criterion and
goodwillbooks,and many online bookstores,it would be great.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
i have seen online dvd/vhs players if you are lucky to find them. as far as the vhs movies you can find some titles at various goodwill centers.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
In one sense you say DVDs days are numbered and in another you say you hope it may be a long, long time yet. There isn't much regarding technology that can't fit in the category of days being numbered but it may be a long, long time yet. This thread started 3.5 years ago, yet not much has changed. What time frame are you suggesting?

Yes, the footprint in physical stores has steadily decreased, but not necessarily due to reduced sales of the format. I was told that Costco and Sam's club dropped physical media due to shoplifting issues. I'm betting that's always been a concern at most retail stores due to the ease of slashing cases open and stealing the disk. Heck, DVD case manufacturers added tab to cases at one time to try and make it more difficult. During the heyday of DVD there were so many titles coming out how could a store stock titles to compete with an online presence. I would suggest online retailers is what killed the presence of physical media at stores, not that DVDs were ever going away.

While I would say streaming services are trying to be smart and not releasing their own content on physical media to try to sway consumers to keep their services, and there is no doubt many consumers stream, and overall sales of physical media has gone down. That said, physical media still maintains quite a financial presence, enough so that studios won't give it up, and DVD is still the top selling of the physical media formats.

I'd say we are still decades away at a minimum from any major changes regarding DVD's or other physical media being on the way out, and without knowing what other advancements/changes are coming down the road, why worry about it. I mean we don't fret about the demise of VHS or LaserDisc as a primary source, so why think that what ultimately happens to create the demise of DVD or physical media (as we know it now) will be bad?
best resource for dvds blu rays still oldies.com === i got all those 19.99 warners great releases like Scaramouche, King Solomon's Mines at 4.99 - now they sell blu rays at some good sales too and saying end of physical media does not make it easier for studios to want to release product as long as we buy they will sell

Last edited:

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
best resource for dvds blu rays still oldies.com === i got all those 19.99 warners great releases like Scaramouche, King Solomon's Mines at 4.99 - now they sell blu rays at some good sales too and saying end of physical media does not make it easier for studios to want to release product as long as we buy they will sell
Mine is amazon.com,number one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks