What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TRON: Ares

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Title: TRON: Ares

Genre: Science Fiction

Director: Joachim Rønning

Cast: Jared Leto, Greta Lee, Evan Peters, Hasan Minhaj, Jodie Turner-Smith, Arturo Castro, Cameron Monaghan, Gillian Anderson, Sarah Desjardins

Plot: A highly sophisticated Program called Ares is sent from the digital world into the real world on a dangerous mission, marking humankind's first encounter with A.I. beings.
https://deadline.com/2020/08/garth-davis-tron-sequel-director-jared-leto-movie-1202992103/

"
EXCLUSIVE: After taking its time figuring out where it wants the next Tron installment to go, Disney’s sci-fi franchise looks to have new life as we are hearing Garth Davis has been tapped to direct the pic starring Jared Leto.

Davis has been better known for his smaller art house films over the years like 2018’s Mary Magdalene and his critically acclaimed 2016 drama Lion, which received six Oscar nominations including for Best Picture. Tron would mark Davis’ first tentpole, and though he is not known for big-budget projects, insiders say Davis aggressively pursued the job, eventually winning over execs."

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Looking forward to this one. Tron Legacy looks amazing on Blu Ray. Maybe one day we'll have a 4K release.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Tron was one of my favorite films of the 80's. Tron Legacy was a massive disappointment for me. I thought it was a complete waste of my time...that Daft Punk score though was great.

I'll have to wait and see how this looks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Tron was one of my favorite films of the 80's. Tron Legacy was a massive disappointment for me. I thought it was a complete waste of my time...that Daft Punk score though was great.

I'll have to wait and see how this looks.

Story wise, I agree but it looks absolutely gorgeous on a big screen and, as you noted, the score and general audio quality were top notch. Still haven't viewed it in 3D. Looking forward to that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The combination of Garth Davis and Jared Leto and this franchise is certainly not something I was expecting. We'll see what happens.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
So much better in 3D too.

It's...BETTER in 3-D, let's just say that.

But frankly, now that the original '10 hype buildup has managed to legitimize '82 Tron: Classic fans again and get it on Blu-ray, is it safe to admit that Legacy was a downbeat, clueless, humorless, preening poseur who had no idea whatsoever what made the original Tron so appealing, until Jeff Bridges brings his Dude-ish Flynn back in the last half of the movie?
Tron fans still felt "picked on" before the sequel, and this definitely has the look of Trying Way Too Hard for modern legitimacy.

(And besides, the only fun parts came when Disney tried sending the script to Pixar for emergency doctoring--Namely, making Sam less of an angry jerk, and replacing the company's "annoying boss" with Dillinger Jr....Now we're talkin'.)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
is it safe to admit that Legacy was a downbeat, clueless, humorless, preening poseur who had no idea whatsoever what made the original Tron so appealing, until Jeff Bridges brings his Dude-ish Flynn back in the last half of the movie?
Nope. Not safe. ;) I disagree. I thought Tron Legacy was terrific and actually better in many ways (not all) than the original. And I loved the original!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Nope. Not safe. ;) I disagree. I thought Tron Legacy was terrific and actually better in many ways (not all) than the original. And I loved the original!

Probably my only favorite line from the movie wasn't from the movie, but from a viral video Disney made to promote their website (and set up a then-different version of the "Sam-parachute foreshadowing" scene):

Bruce Boxleitner as Alan Bradley is giving an event speech about the company releasing an app-game version of Space Paranoids, saying "To think that I can not only play Space Paranoids on my phone, but text my score to anyone in the world...I often wonder what Kevin Flynn would say if he could see that today. Actually, I do know what he'd say: 'I TOLD ya, man!'" :cool:

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I didn't care much for Legacy, myself. It's not as silly as the original, but also not as heartfelt or as interesting. I'd be game for another sequel, but Leto is a movie-killer for me in anything after Fight Club. But I hope the film has something to offer for those who don't share my distaste for him.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Agreed.

I hope we hear more about a third film soon.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks