What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TRON: Ares (2 Viewers)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I saw the original Tron in 70mm in Seattle and it really does come alive there in a way no home setup can duplicate.* Someone in the computer industry said they got a lot of the big things right. That was good enough for me. The costume design, well… ;)

This was one time when Walt Disney Productions under Ron Miller really seemed to be looking to the future and not to memories of what was popular when Walt was still alive, even though they were mixing actors with cartoons before there was even a Mickey Mouse. But they didn't realize it until many years after the fact once everybody and their mother owned a computer. It makes me think about what kind of computer-generated abstract imagery is still possible nearly 40 years later.

Still have to get around to watching the sequel. It took me 20 years to be able to bring myself to watch Fantasia 2000. At least they won't be waiting 30 years for the third one. Unfortunately, the likelihood of Jeff Bridges being a part of it this time is not great since he recently received a cancer diagnosis.

*As does seeing in a state that legally lets you attain the ideal state to watch it in.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's...BETTER in 3-D, let's just say that.

But frankly, now that the original '10 hype buildup has managed to legitimize '82 Tron: Classic fans again and get it on Blu-ray, is it safe to admit that Legacy was a downbeat, clueless, humorless, preening poseur who had no idea whatsoever what made the original Tron so appealing, until Jeff Bridges brings his Dude-ish Flynn back in the last half of the movie?
Tron fans still felt "picked on" before the sequel, and this definitely has the look of Trying Way Too Hard for modern legitimacy.

(And besides, the only fun parts came when Disney tried sending the script to Pixar for emergency doctoring--Namely, making Sam less of an angry jerk, and replacing the company's "annoying boss" with Dillinger Jr....Now we're talkin'.)

I guess I'm easy to please, because I thought Tron:Legacy wasn't all that bad; however, I also wasn't expecting a remake of the original like so many fans apparently were.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually think Tron:Uprising was shaping up to be better than Legacy, comsidering it was building its world based upon the world.created in Legacy. It is too bad Disney slaughtered the show before it could get a full head of steam going. Putting it on their Disney XD subscription channel didn't do it any favors.

The animation and art design was one of Disney's better animated TV shows.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sometimes Disney doesn't know what they have until they either lose it or deliberately throw it away. And sometimes they don't know how to promote a show. They also had an animated show called The Legend of the Three Caballeros that based on the pilot I actually liked better than the DuckTales reboot. Unfortunately, that pilot was a non-official source that disappeared before I could watch any more, and Disney held it back in the US until the D+ launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks