What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive February / March schedule update (1 Viewer)

donniecasali

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald Casali
I remember going to see "The Bandwagon" at the Park Square Cinema (RIP)
in Boston in the late 1970's and someone cut out "Dancing In The Dark" from the print being shown. At the time it was known that collectors did things like this. I had to complain to get my money back, The theater didn't put up a notice saying it was missing from their print. I guess they hoped people wouldn't notice as you can still follow the story without it.
Ah yes, I remember that well - such a disappointment! I could be wrong, but I think the film's engagement at the Park Square began with a special screening with Vincent Minnelli in attendance. The Park Square Cinema was a great little theater. We were lucky to have quite a few fine repertory theaters in the Boston/Cambridge area back then.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I remember going to see "The Bandwagon" at the Park Square Cinema (RIP)
in Boston in the late 1970's and someone cut out "Dancing In The Dark" from the print being shown. At the time it was known that collectors did things like this. I had to complain to get my money back, The theater didn't put up a notice saying it was missing from their print. I guess they hoped people wouldn't notice as you can still follow the story without it.

Tell me about it. When I was at MGM/UA, I was constantly having to reprint Reel 3A of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS because the goddamn collectors kept cutting out "The Trolley Song." The barn-raising ballet from SEVEN BRIDES was another frequent casualty. And they always swore on a stack of Bibles that that's the way they received the print!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Tell me about it. When I was at MGM/UA, I was constantly having to reprint Reel 3A of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS because the goddamn collectors kept cutting out "The Trolley Song." The barn-raising ballet from SEVEN BRIDES was another frequent casualty. And they always swore on a stack of Bibles that that's the way they received the print!
I love to read about these behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Does anyone know the run time yet for 'The Long, Long Trailer'? I've seen it said at a couple of places that Warner Archive was quoting 103 minutes (The version as seen on tv and DVD runs 96 minutes, with some cuts supposedly having been made for the general release).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We were lucky to have quite a few fine repertory theaters in the Boston/Cambridge area back then.

I recall visiting a friend in Boston, and she brought me to the Orson Welles Cinema for a screening of THE WICKER MAN (1973). Damn, I miss having cinemas like those around. For New Yorkers, I imagine many still exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks