What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Bonanza: The Official Second Season (2023 Remastered version)

51-5xBjWnbL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Wnated: Dead or Alive S2

913gQ0LO2ZL._SY500_.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
IMG_8247.jpg

Thanks to @Flashgear ands his excellent posts about Gilligan's Island I have been revisiting this series. I pulled out my season 2 set last week for the first time in ages. It was the original release and I swear, I don't think I watched this far into it from the day I bought it decades ago on first release. I go to take out the 3rd disc and SNAP! Cracked it. F'n thing was so damned tight. Sigh. So I looked up season 2 on the Amazon and saw the complete series was just a few bucks more.

All three seasons on single sided DVDs for almost the same price as one season of flipper discs? SOLD!

What's funny is, as much as I watched this series as a kid, I didn't watch it because I really liked it. I watched it because it was on. That's what we kids did back then. I remember buying them for nostalgia and let them sit for my old age.

Well, here I am, last few decades of my life (God willing), let's goooo!

Seeing it with new, adult eyes (again, thanks Randall), this show is often hysterically funny. As a kid, we asked why Thurston Howell III would pack steamer trunks full of money on a 3 hour boat ride, or why everyone but Gilligan, the Skipper and the Professor have enough luggage for a ocean cruise. As an adult, none of that matters. That's not what the series was about. And, I realized, if you are watching it with those eyes now, you're doing it wrong. There's a lot of social commentary and satire on hand that is lost on children. The cast is also perfect. You'd never know there were rumored strained relations between Bob Denver and Tina Louise (she did write a very sweet memorial him after his passing). There's enough story content in each episode to fill an hour and it's never boring. Great fun!

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Haven't posted in a while, so going back a few months:

Adam 12 S2 (slowly picking up these seasons. Why is there no box set??)
Barnaby Jones S1 (heard it was the only season that didn't get hacked up with edits)
Decoy complete (great look at late 50s NYC)
The Fall Guy S1 (Got it cheap, but probably just in time for a BR set to be released with the new movie)
Fantastic Four Animated Series ('94) complete (never seen it before but catchy theme tune)
Gilligan's Island complete (a classic - only reason I hadn't bought it before was that it never seemed to be discounted)
Hawaii Five-O original series complete (finally got this at a reasonable price... and then prices dropped event lower :( )
Highway Patrol S2 (wish there was a box set - S1 is rather pricey)
Inspector Morse complete (prefer John Thaw's tougher role in The Sweeney but the price was right)
Jonny Quest original series complete (BR) (I have put this absolute classic in my Amazon cart multiple times before during sales, but it always seemed to go off sale before I finalized the rest of my items)
The Monkees complete (BR) (finally got a slight discount on this, but it still hurt)
The Persuaders complete (BR) (actually this has been en route for a couple months now - fingers crossed)
Petrocelli complete (don't know much about it but someone here said it was good)
The Professionals complete (BR) (finally hunted down all 4 volumes for not too crazy prices - whew!)
The Six Million Dollar Man complete (BR) (not sure if it will live up to my faint childhood memories but at least it will look good)
Voltron original series complete (not really a fan, but got it because my late brother loved it)

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
A Touch of Frost - 28 years worth of great content for just under £50. Probably the best value TV boxset I've ever bought.

Black Adder - not quite the same value proposition as Frost but the complete series and specials on BR is still a great deal at £50.

Malcolm in the Middle - haven't got round to watching this yet but have great memories of it from back in the day. Got the whole series on discount for just under £80.

Futurama - a great show that is fortunately a lot easier to acquire in its complete form than another certain Matt Groening cartoon.

Looney Tunes Golden Collection - not a complete collection but a very comprehensive collection of all the old staples with an excellent remastering job. Excellent value at just under £50.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just took delivery of “Fear The Walking Dead” season 8. That completes the series. For some reason they decided to only make the DVD version available in CND so I had to order it from the “states” (Amazon.com) at $50.00 for the Blu. Very pricy! It did arrive quickly however

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Two things just now from Amazon--

--All-in-one DVD of The Incredible Hulk (Bixby/Ferrigno 1978-82 CBS classic by that name)

--Pre-order of The Act Blu (the hit King/Arquette limited series about the Gypsy Rose/Dee Dee Blanchard affair)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Colt .45 (1957-60, 67 eps.) Warner Archive complete series Blu-ray on 10 discs, pre-order. Starring Wayde Preston, Donald May with many great guest stars and familiar faces. What an unexpected and pleasant surprise for this rare series to get a disc release, let alone transferred to Blu-ray from new 4K scans of the archival 35mm film elements!
1709574432077.png

1709575079519.png

SEARCH (1972-73, 23 eps.) Warner Archive complete series DVD, 6 disc set...starring Hugh O'Brien, Tony Franciosa, Doug McClure, Burgess Meredith, loads of great guest stars. Still need to get the series' pilot PROBE, available as a standalone DVD from WAC (Elke Sommer, hubba, hubba!)...
1709574746654.png

1709574798042.png

1709574903391.png

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Been awhile since I last posted. I had a stroke back in August. Talk about having your world turned upside down. But I’ve been back at home since November, getting stronger every day, and last month I finally started working again (half days). And while I hadn’t really felt like posting (or felt I had anything to contribute) during all of this time, I continued to read the posts here at HTF. Especially early on while staying in the hospital/rehab, it was a great distraction to put my mind on things other than my circumstances. So thanks to everyone here at HTF for always keeping things interesting and fun to read. This place is both informative and a great escape.

Back on topic: I obviously haven’t made many purchases in recent months, but I have made a few TV (on DVD) set buys:

Bonanza: The Official Complete Series (Not a favorite series, but I do enjoy it on an occasional basis and wanted to finally see it in complete form and looking better than I ever saw it on cable and syndication.)

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: The Official Restored Complete Series (Having seen very few episodes of this series turn up on TV in reruns over the years, most are new to me. But it’s a show I have long wanted to see.)

And most recently, I purchased The Sweeney Complete Collection Pack: Series 1 - 4. (I’ve never seen this series, but I did like the 2 films Kino released on Blu awhile back, so I decided to go ahead and try the series. It’s due to arrive today.)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Been awhile since I last posted. I had a stroke back in August. Talk about having your world turned upside down. But I’ve been back at home since November, getting stronger every day, and last month I finally started working again (half days). And while I hadn’t really felt like posting (or felt I had anything to contribute) during all of this time, I continued to read the posts here at HTF. Especially early on while staying in the hospital/rehab, it was a great distraction to put my mind on things other than my circumstances. So thanks to everyone here at HTF for always keeping things interesting and fun to read. This place is both informative and a great escape.
Welcome back Dave! Sorry to hear of your recent health emergency. Good to hear you are on the mend. God Bless You in your further recovery, and may Good Fortune only be in your future!
Bonanza: The Official Complete Series (Not a favorite series, but I do enjoy it on an occasional basis and wanted to finally see it in complete form and looking better than I ever saw it on cable and syndication.)

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: The Official Restored Complete Series (Having seen very few episodes of this series turn up on TV in reruns over the years, most are new to me. But it’s a show I have long wanted to see.)
Dave, you have a wealth of great television just in those two long-running series, which coincidentally both lasted 14 seasons each! I have the complete Ozzie and Harriet in the original MPI season sets, and countless episodes were newly discovered gems that I had not previously seen in my PD collection. I'm still in the process of watching these superbly restored episodes!

I'm still struggling with what to do in completing my Bonanza collection. I'm already in for the 9 seasons that I have in the original CBS/P half season volumes, but it still makes financial sense to buy the complete series mega set, rather than buying the separate seasons 10 to 14 that I want. (and the newly remastered season 2) At least at their current prices.

And I believe to this day that I haven't seen any of season 14, though I grew up watching Bonanza first-run as a kid. Where I grew up in Canada, we only had two networks over the air, and neither of them aired the truncated final season, by which time we also were getting some American networks on cable. Of course, Bonanza just wasn't the same after Dan Blocker died. But David Canary's return helped for awhile, and Tim Matheson was always a likeable actor. And of course Lorne Greene and Michael Landon were there to the end, along with many great guest stars.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave:

What a nice post. All the best to you as you continue on that road to recovery. Best advice when I went through the same: Just listen to your body. Push yourself when you can (to get stronger) but when it says to slow down, slow down. :D

Be well! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Nice to see you back, Dave! Best wishes for continued recovery! 🤗

Welcome back Dave! Sorry to hear of your recent health emergency. Good to hear you are on the mend. God Bless You in your further recovery, and may Good Fortune only be in your future!

Dave, you have a wealth of great television just in those two long-running series, which coincidentally both lasted 14 seasons each! I have the complete Ozzie and Harriet in the original MPI season sets, and countless episodes were newly discovered gems that I had not previously seen in my PD collection. I'm still in the process of watching these superbly restored episodes!

I'm still struggling with what to do in completing my Bonanza collection. I'm already in for the 9 seasons that I have in the original CBS/P half season volumes, but it still makes financial sense to buy the complete series mega set, rather than buying the separate seasons 10 to 14 that I want. (and the newly remastered season 2) At least at their current prices.

And I believe to this day that I haven't seen any of season 14, though I grew up watching Bonanza first-run as a kid. Where I grew up in Canada, we only had two networks over the air, and neither of them aired the truncated final season, by which time we also were getting some American networks on cable. Of course, Bonanza just wasn't the same after Dan Blocker died. But David Canary's return helped for awhile, and Tim Matheson was always a likeable actor. And of course Lorne Greene and Michael Landon were there to the end, along with many great guest stars.

Dave:

What a nice post. All the best to you as you continue on that road to recovery. Best advice when I went through the same: Just listen to your body. Push yourself when you can (to get stronger) but when it says to slow down, slow down. :D

Be well! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Thank you all so much for the welcome back and kind comments. Truly means a lot.

Mike - This is definitely a learning process and exercise in patience, pushing myself to get better while also picking up on those signs not to overdo things. But so far so good. Appreciate the advice!

Randall - I’ve only ever seen a few episodes of Bonanza’s final season, but it’s been years ago. I think it was in the 90s when The Family Channel started airing the last few seasons, referring to them as The Lost Episodes. It will be interesting to finally see all of that year once I get to those not-so-lost episodes. Also, good catch about the coincidence of both Bonanza and O&H spanning 14 seasons.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Stopped by Wally World this afternoon. They seem to have expanded their racks of TV collections a smidge. I picked up the DVD set of Centennial for $15 and the complete series of Have Gun, Will Travel for $50.

(Also got some 4K SteelBooks.)

I was there too, but didn't get anything, because I had already made my purchases for the month on my debit card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks