What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike - This is definitely a learning process and exercise in patience, pushing myself to get better while also picking up on those signs not to overdo things. But so far so good. Appreciate the advice!
Like with many things in life, it's a constant tightrope walk! :D

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Pre-ordered today, ViaVision/Imprint's region-free Blu-ray collection of The Prisoner, and thanks to a 20% off UK TV series coupon code provided in the email advertising that classic series, I was also able to order ViaVision's Callan: The Ultimate Collection region-free DVD set (already at a sale price, before the coupon!), which is an upgrade from my old UK (The Monochrome Years) and US (color episodes) sets, as well as containing both the 1974 Callan theatrical feature film and the 1981 telefilm, Wet Job, which none of the previous UK or US collections contained.

The-Prisoner-exploded-600x314.png

VVE2850-Callan-Ultimate-Collection-3D-600x638.png

Callan: The Ultimate Collection​

AUD$129.95 Sale Price: AUD$119.95

Number of Discs14
RatingM
Release Date8th December, 2021
Runtime (in minutes)1876
Product CodeVVE2850

Known as the antithesis to Bond, Edward Woodward’s portrayal of Callan was a hit with viewers from 1967-1972.

Edward Woodward gives an electrifying performance as a reluctant professional killer working for British Intelligence. Callan became a national phenomenon in the late 1960s, making Woodward one of the highest profile actors on television and paving the way to his eventual career in America on shows like The Equalizer.

Created by James Mitchell (When the Boat Comes In) and exploring the dingy, twilight world of the professional spy, Callan was the antithesis of James Bond (back in the days of Connery and Moore) and presented, until that point, television’s most realistic portrayal of government espionage.

This Ultimate Collection contains the original Armchair Theatre pilot play – ‘A Magnum for Schneider’, all surviving episodes from Series 1 and 2, all episodes from Series 3 & 4 in the intended running order, the 1974 ‘Callan’ feature film, and the 1981 television film Wet Job, which brought the saga to an end.

Also included is the feature-length documentary ‘This Man Alone’, 2 Audio Commentaries with Edward Woodward, both the re-edited and complete recording block versions of episode ‘The Worst Soldier I Ever Saw’, the 1971 television special ‘The Edward Woodward Hour’, new Audio Commentaries by Robert Fairclough and Mike Kenwood – authors of the ‘The Callan File: The Definitive Guide”, and more…

Special Features:
• Feature-length documentary ‘This Man Alone’ plus bonus unused interview material
• Armchair Theatre pilot play ‘A Magnum For Schneider’ in a new transfer
• The 1974 ‘Callan’ feature film
• Audio Commentaries with Edward Woodward on ‘If He Can, So Can I’ and ‘Call Me Enemy’
• NEW Audio Commentaries by Robert Fairclough and Mike Kenwood – authors of the ‘The Callan File: The Definitive Guide’ • Complete recording block version of the episode ‘The Worst Soldier I Ever Saw’
• Episode Trailer for ‘Let’s Kill Everybody’
• 1971 television special ‘The Edward Woodward Hour’
• Extensive Image Galleries and DVD-ROM PDF archive

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just earlier in receipt of UPHE's Blu-Ray of The Act (that King/Arquette limited series), and have discovered that it's vanilla-- just the 8 episodes, and nothing else.

actbluray1.jpg

actbluray2.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
What's on the bonus discs? Does it have the 80s reunion TV movie?

No, it doesn't have the reunion movie. Not only does Warner not own that, MGM doesn't either. It was produced through Viacom. If memory serves, the VHS release was released by Worldvision Entertainment, and the DVD by Paramount.

Anyway, bonuses mentioned on the back of the box (I haven't had a chance to check the discs yet) are:

Solo: the color version of the pilot.
One Spy Too Many: the theatrical version of the "Alexander the Greater Affair" Season 2 premiere 2-parter.

[It's too bad that they didn't include all eight theatrical versions, but I suspect they thought it would've priced the package too high. Warner Archive has released a set of all eight (I have a UK DVD with five of the eight features).]

"9 featurettes explore the series' phenomenon, gadgets and style."
"Retrospective interviews with filmmakers and cast."
"Celebration of the series' many guest stars."

"Plus: TV award show excerpts, design/photo galleries, Tom and Jerry cartoon The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R."

And the ever-present "and more".

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No, it doesn't have the reunion movie. Not only does Warner not own that, MGM doesn't either. It was produced through Viacom. If memory serves, the VHS release was released by Worldvision Entertainment, and the DVD by Paramount.

Anyway, bonuses mentioned on the back of the box (I haven't had a chance to check the discs yet) are:

One Spy Too Many: the theatrical version of the "Alexander the Greater Affair" Season 2 premiere 2-parter.

[It's too bad that they didn't include all eight theatrical versions, but I suspect they thought it would've priced the package too high. Warner Archive has released a set of all eight (I have a UK DVD with five of the eight features).]

"Plus: TV award show excerpts, design/photo galleries, Tom and Jerry cartoon The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R."

The original release was the stupidly expensive Time-Life Briefcase edition. The seasons are in page style digipaks. IIRC, the price of that one was $250 (I paid ~$140 *with* a coupon!). Had TL included *all* of those movies it'd likely have taken the price over $300.

The briefcase is kind of cool but the cases are horrible (digipak - always horrible). Several times I've almost repurchased the series just to get standard cases and put that "collector" version in storage.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

Thanks for the rundown! Still on the fence about getting this one. Maybe after I hunt down I Spy.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
The 9th and 10th DVD seasons of Hawaii Five-0 (2010) finishing up that series. Started watching on the tenth anniversary (9/20/20) and watched one every week since. Half way through the 8th season.

By the way, does anyone know how many seasons were released with the cardboard slipcovers? Not all the seasons I have had one. Don't know if they were missing or never had one.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The 9th and 10th DVD seasons of Hawaii Five-0 (2010) finishing up that series. Started watching on the tenth anniversary (9/20/20) and watched one every week since. Half way through the 8th season.

By the way, does anyone know how many seasons were released with the cardboard slipcovers? Not all the seasons I have had one. Don't know if they were missing or never had one.

That's a great question, albeit I can't truthfully answer-- I do know that a few releases I got before had cardboard slipcovers (a.k.a. O-rings); these have, for one, included Shout!'s releases of L.A. Law, but have more included CBS' all-in-ones of Have Gun Will Travel and The Streets of San Francisco, and Universal's (SDS' [Studio Distribution Services', actually]) release of Emergency! (they come w/the O-rings to begin with, then when they are sold again at some other time, do not have that covering around them).

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Pre-ordered today, ViaVision/Imprint's region-free Blu-ray collection of The Prisoner, and thanks to a 20% off UK TV series coupon code provided in the email advertising that classic series, I was also able to order ViaVision's Callan: The Ultimate Collection region-free DVD set (already at a sale price, before the coupon!), which is an upgrade from my old UK (The Monochrome Years) and US (color episodes) sets, as well as containing both the 1974 Callan theatrical feature film and the 1981 telefilm, Wet Job, which none of the previous UK or US collections contained.

The-Prisoner-exploded-600x314.png

VVE2850-Callan-Ultimate-Collection-3D-600x638.png

Do The Prisoner BD set include English subtitles?
Thanks.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The original release was the stupidly expensive Time-Life Briefcase edition. The seasons are in page style digipaks. IIRC, the price of that one was $250 (I paid ~$140 *with* a coupon!). Had TL included *all* of those movies it'd likely have taken the price over $300.

The briefcase is kind of cool but the cases are horrible (digipak - always horrible). Several times I've almost repurchased the series just to get standard cases and put that "collector" version in storage.
I have the briefcase edition but I'm actually fine with the packaging and don't have any complaints about it.

One type of packaging I dislike is when the discs overlap each other, where you have to remove a disc to get to the other one, this packaging style annoys me but it is what it is.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I haven't bought anything for awhile, I think my most recent purchase was The Doris Day Show DVD complete series but that was a few months back. Correction, I just remembered that I also bought seasons 1-5 of Beverly Hillbillies and seasons 1-3 of Petticoat Junction. That was the most recent purchase.

Waiting to see what happens with the 1960-61 Angel sitcom from Classic Flix.

Would like to see Burke's Law finally get completed on DVD, only the 1st season is available.

Aside from that, there's a few other short lived/one season sitcoms on my want list, but chances for release are probably slim to none. I only do DVD, no blu ray for me.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Do The Prisoner BD set include English subtitles?
Thanks.
While I don't have the set yet (it streets in early June) and they don't mention it in the tech specs for the set on their website, I think it's pretty safe to assume it will have English subtitles.

I have both of their recent, previous Avengers sets (Imprint Television #3: The Emma Peel Collection and Imprint Television #4: The Tara King Collection) in the 'Imprint Television' series, and both have "optional English HOH (Hard Of Hearing) subtitles" listed on their disc cases, along with the other picture and sound specs.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
While I don't have the set yet (it streets in early June) and they don't mention it in the tech specs for the set on their website, I think it's pretty safe to assume it will have English subtitles.

I have both of their recent, previous Avengers sets (Imprint Television #3: The Emma Peel Collection and Imprint Television #4: The Tara King Collection) in the 'Imprint Television' series, and both have "optional English HOH (Hard Of Hearing) subtitles" listed on their disc cases, along with the other picture and sound specs.

Thank you. Let me know when you get your BD set and to confirm the English subtitles issue.
I wish they could release Danger Man, the long hour series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks