What's new

Which long running 50s sitcom would you most like to see get a complete release? (1 Viewer)

Which long running 50s sitcom would you most like to see get a complete release?

• December Bride

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Make Room for Daddy / The Danny Thomas Show

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Burns and Allen

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Love That Bob

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Bachelor Father

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Private Secretary

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Jack Benny Program

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Life of Riley

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • The Gale Storm Show (Oh Susannah)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Little Margie

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
December Bride

Make Room for Daddy / The Danny Thomas Show

Burns and Allen

Love That Bob

Bachelor Father

Private Secretary

Jack Benny Program

Life of Riley

The Gale Storm Show (Oh Susannah)

My Little Margie

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
While I’d definitely like to see complete releases of MRFD and Private Secretary (along with The Ann Sothern Show), my most wanted 50s sitcom is Burns & Allen. I would hope that this imagined complete series set would also include the one season after Gracie retired and it was renamed The George Burns Show.

For a 50s drama complete series set, my top pick/wish is Dragnet.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tough choices - Burns & Allen is pretty much neck-and-neck with The Jack Benny Program for me but I went with B&A. Even so, I'd purchase any of those on the list should they see release.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Many fine choices offered in the poll, but I had to go with The Jack Benny Program. It's a culture crime that it has been relegated to some public domain collections and the licensed Shout Factory set (which I'm happy to have) of a handful of episodes + some later specials.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Your poll system only allowed for one vote, so I went with Bachelor Father as my top choice. I'd of course get most of them if released.
My top choice too. I like Danny Thomas as well but at least a few seasons were released on video. Bachelor Father never has had any commercial release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My top choice too. I like Danny Thomas as well but at least a few seasons were released on video. Bachelor Father never has had any commercial release.

And that was a huge reason for my pick. Jack Benny, MRFD, Burns & Allen and others listed have had releases of some kind. But Bachelor Father hasn’t had any kind of release. Not a “Best Of” set. Not even a PD release from Alpha or any other outfit. It is truly MIA when it comes to Home Video.

Gary “plus it’s just a great, but somewhat forgotten, 50’s sitcom” O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have good boot sets of both Jack Benny and Burns and Allen. I would vote for Jack Benny only on condition that the filmed shows must have their integrated commercial spots restored since they often involved funny scenes.

Burns And Allen would have to have the integrated Carnation/B.F. Goodrich spots that were left intact on the Columbia House VHS releases of Season 3 and early Season 4 (the first filmed seasons).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would have to go with Jack Benny, since the majority of the series was done either live or videotaped, although those tapes are all burned up in the Universal fire and only kinescopes of those episodes remain. But even if you take into account the PD releases, almost of half of the series remains unavailable.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The poll is the Sophie's Choice of Home Theater Forum! I drove myself nearly crazy trying to decide from such appealing selections (frankly, I'd take any of them and be thrilled). I went with December Bride, but I can understand why The Jack Benny Program is currently in the lead.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
A very hard choice. Very, very hard. Because I'd really welcome them all. But if I had to truly limit myself to one title, I'd go with "Life of Riley."

That's my 2nd choice, Bert. Life of Riley (the one starring William Bendix, not Jackie Gleason) has also been all but MIA since the beginning of Home Video.

I'm shocked that thus far my choice of Bachelor Father is holding its own. At the outset I've have predicted the following order from this poll:

Jack Benny
Burns & Allen
MRFD
Love That Bob
My Little Margie or December Bride
Bachelor Father
Gale Storm Show
Life of Riley
Private Secretary

Note: That would NOT be my order choice. Just what I expected from the HTF crew.

My desired order would start with these 3 for sure:

Bachelor Father
Life of Riley

The Jack Benny Show

Gary "everything after that is negotiable" O.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
December Bride would be my choice, although Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, and Bachelor Father are also worthy qualifiers.

Last edited:

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
I would agree with Jack Benny Show getting a more complete release but there are a substantial number of episodes already available, so my choice went to Private Secretary as there are so few episodes out there from that show and Ann Sothern is a favorite of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks