What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If they want to improve ratings, they can hand out the awards for shorts, foreign films, and documentaries at a separate ceremony with a brief recap during the main broadcast, and hand out the technical awards during the main show. You know, the ones that all go to movies that large numbers of people have seen, and that have clips of cool imagery and sound to demonstrate why they were nominated. Material that might interest people more than three-second snippets of completely unfamiliar films.

And while they're at it, why not post the separate ceremonies online, or stream them?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The Tony awards have done this for years, and limit the show to 2 hours. I have always said, who cares, except for a relative, which short from a Eastern European county, that you will never see won the oscar? You could probably show last year's winners and we would not notice. Why not start the show @ 7:00 and the telecast @8:00?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't have thought of Hell Or High Water as Oscar bait - I was thrilled that it was nominated but I did not see that coming.
Fair enough. I just found it odd that 6 of the 9 BP nominees were all from Lionsgate.
I had no idea they had become that big of a studio.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It looks like La La Land, Manchester By the Sea, and maybe Arrival will be shown on the plane during my upcoming vacation. I'll be able to catch up on a few nominated films, albeit on a 4-inch screen with crappy headphones. ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It looks like La La Land, Manchester By the Sea, and maybe Arrival will be shown on the plane during my upcoming vacation. I'll be able to catch up on a few nominated films, albeit on a 4-inch screen with crappy headphones. ;)

At least you won't have to suffer through the slightest hint of sexual material, either. :)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. Arrival on my second viewing shot it to #2 on my list after LA3. It's an amazing film.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
After viewing Arrival again, I think it and Hell or High Water were the best overall films from last year.
I'm with you on Hell or High Water, not so much on Arrival. While Arrival is certainly a good film, it's at the bottom of my ranking of the Best Picture nominations.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I plan to watch Arrival again soon. It is in my "new blu rays to watch" drawer, right beside Doctor Strange. Am I correct in that there is no commentary track? I always really enjoy these, and if ever a movie cried out for one, this is it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I plan to watch Arrival again soon. It is in my "new blu rays to watch" drawer, right beside Doctor Strange. Am I correct in that there is no commentary track? I always really enjoy these, and if ever a movie cried out for one, this is it.
No commentary track! Some of the bonus material was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks