What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just once. I'm not like a toddler who has to watch The Little Mermaid 37 times in a row. I always space my viewings (of any film) by at a period of at least 2 years.
Yeah, but certain films need to be viewed more than once due to the subject matter and some stuff, any person can miss on their first viewing. I liked this film after my first viewing, but I appreciate it more after my second viewing.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wow, there is no dedicated Manchester by the Sea thread? I watched it tonight. Surprisingly I did not find it sad. It was easy to watch and I enjoyed it.

However I did not understand the hype, I do not think Affleck's acting was anything extraordinary and I don't think he deserved the Oscar. Will see Fences later.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Monday I watched Land of Mine and My Life as a Zucchini. With these two films I've watched every single film nominated for an AA in all the main categories including animation, documentaries, shorts, foreign films, etc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wow, there is no dedicated Manchester by the Sea thread? I watched it tonight. Surprisingly I did not find it sad. It was easy to watch and I enjoyed it.

However I did not understand the hype, I do not think Affleck's acting was anything extraordinary and I don't think he deserved the Oscar. Will see Fences later.
Both Robert Harris and I have review threads for the Blu-ray disc in the Blu-ray and UHD Forum. That's where a good bit of discussion has taken place.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Found no topic. Just watched Loving (2016). Loved it. I'm quite surprised it was not nominated for a Best Picture. I have still not seen all of them but it could have easily replaced many of them.

I loved how they avoided being melodramatic but it still felt dramatic to me. It was the perfect balance.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Found no topic. Just watched Loving (2016). Loved it. I'm quite surprised it was not nominated for a Best Picture. I have still not seen all of them but it could have easily replaced many of them.

I loved how they avoided being melodramatic but it still felt dramatic to me. It was the perfect balance.
I reviewed the Blu-ray of Loving a month or so ago.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Huh?:blink:

If you have not seen all the nominated films how can you say it could have easily replaced many of them??

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
mmm.....Because I have seen many of them!

It could have replaced
Arrival
Fences
Hell or High Water
Manchester by the Sea

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Loving could have replaced Lion or Hidden Figures. The others deserved their nominations. In my opinion, of course.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't think Lion or Hidden Figures were Oscar worthy, but then again, I wasn't a huge fan of Loving either. Hacksaw Ridge was another WTF candidate. The second half of that movie was well made, but the first half was dreadful.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With respect, I completely disagree. It's the first half of Hacksaw Ridge that gives the second half meaning. Seeing Doss hold to his principles doesn't matter if we don't understand what his principles are or what they mean to him.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree. It made the film a much richer experience for me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The acting, dialog, and directing of the first half are amateurish at best. My skin crawled the entire first hour. It was so obvious and on the nose that you could have just had a crawl explaining how devout he was.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The acting, dialog, and directing of the first half are amateurish at best. My skin crawled the entire first hour. It was so obvious and on the nose that you could have just had a crawl explaining how devout he was.
Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks