What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "La La Land" technically have the possibility in winning 13 of its 14 nominations?
I say this, because as far as I can see, 2 of its nominations are grouped together within the Best Song category; so 13 Oscars are the most it could win.
Otherwise, I think you're saying that you can foresee the possibility of 11 wins, right?

Correct. Technically it can win 13. But imo it's lost a bit of steam lately in some categories. I say it wins about 8.

Reactions: PMF
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of things that I would like the Academy to return to:

1) Having only 5 Best Picture nominations

2) Allowing the viewing public the chance to see the Lifetime/Honorary recipient receive their due and tribute. Some of my favorite Oscar memories were seeing the faces and hearing the speeches from the likes of Peter O' Toole, Charlie Chaplin, Deborah Kerr, Robert Altman, Groucho Marx, etc. IMHO this is the centerpiece moment of the telecast and it also educates and introduces the younger generations as to whom and why these figures were so great. Some quick reference clip and sound bite from a private Academy luncheon just doesn't cut it.

Agree 100%.

After all, the whole point is to honor the greats in filmmaking. Those with lifetimes of achievement should be front and center.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "La La Land" technically have the possibility in winning 13 of its 14 nominations?
I say this, because as far as I can see, 2 of its nominations are grouped together within the Best Song category; so 13 Oscars are the most it could win.
Otherwise, I think you're saying that you can foresee the possibility of 11 wins, right?

Yes, I think 'La La Land' is a shoo-in for 8 Oscars:

1) Picture
2) Director
3) Actress in Leading Role
4) Cinematography
5) Film Editing
6) Original Score
7) Original Song (my pick is 'Audition', but either it or 'City of Stars' will win)
8) Original Screenplay

The other 3 I think it might win are:

9) Production Design
10) Costume Design
11) Sound Mixing (probably a long shot)

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ryan Gosling wins, but I doubt he will. The sound categories (Mixing and Editing) will be split between two different films, so 'La La Land' will only take one of those (likely, Mixing).

Mark

Reactions: PMF

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ryan Gosling wins, but I doubt he will.

I haven't seen Denzel Washington in Fences yet, but I cannot figure out the fuss with Casey Affleck's performance in Manchester by the Sea. I actually think Gosling did a better job in La La Land. Just my opinion though.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Affleck was very good I thought. Denzel was better and will win imo.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sag has been right 90% of the time. I think he deserves it too.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Negga is much worthier than the front runner, but I'm afraid people just haven't seen Loving. Same as with Huppert's sublime performance in Elle. But who has seen Elle? Everything is about that other movie...if people just went to see the other nominees' performances instead of going repeatedly to see the musical...to each his own.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I honestly feel that Viola Davis should have been nominated in the Best Actress role instead of supporting. I think she would have won. Haven't seen Negga in Loving yet. To those who have seen both which do you think is the better performance?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I honestly feel that Viola Davis should have been nominated in the Best Actress role instead of supporting. I think she would have won. Haven't seen Negga in Loving yet. To those who have seen both which do you think is the better performance?
Her role in the film should have given her a Best Actress nomination.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who wants to see Ruth Negga win Best Actress for Loving? What a performance!

She was perfect in the role. Such a sweet, and gentle presence that elevated the film a great deal in my opinion. I look forward to watching 'Loving' again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just like my choices for Best Actor (Affleck and Washington), they're both excellent to the point that I'd choose Negga but would have no problem if Davis won (if she were nominated in the correct category). I'll also echo Jose's statement that Huppert was also top notch but she has no chance at winning.

I believe her performance was submitted in the supporting actress category. Did the studio think she didn't have a chance? Puzzling.
Yeah, I'm sure putting her in the Supporting category was a studio tactic to help her win in what they thought would be a less competitive category.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Viola Davis asked the studio to submit her candidacy in the Supporting Actress category, a tactic that worked well last year when Vikander walked away with the supporting Oscar for a performance that was really the female lead. Davis will undoubtedly win the Oscar in this category, although anyone with any sense should realize that her performance is superior than that of the leading contender for the Best Actress Oscar. Davis is also a superior artist.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree that Davis's performance is superior to Emma Stone's but Emma is excellent in La La Land and deserves the best actress nomination she received. Still not sure she's going to win although as you noted she is now the front leader as is Denzel...both thanks to their SAG awards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks