What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

20th Century-Fox brand...sorry to see it go. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Last edited:

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
What an appalling and disgraceful decision; demonstrating zero respect for Hollywood history

It's not a disgraceful decision, IMO, because here was the quite reasonable motivation that led to that decision as stated in the CNN Business article about the name change "Disney cutting Fox from all of its studios makes sense since it could be confusing for consumers. The remaining assets from Fox such as the Fox Entertainment, Fox Sports and Fox News are a part of Fox Corporation, which has nothing to do with Disney."

Post Edited By Moderator: Do Not Repost!

BTW, during the period when I was about 10 years old, to age 17, 20th Century Fox was my favorite film studio, because of the great amount of enjoyment that I derived from watching on TV, as well as seeing in the movies, such films from 20th Century Fox as "The Day The Earth Stood Still, "The Longest Day", "The Sound of Music", and "Planet of the Apes." So thinking about that old 20th Century Fox name does give me nostalgic feelings for old times.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
21st?

No, 30th.

The Futurama end credits were right!

They were only 2/3rds right if they still said "Fox":

30thcenturyfox_waifu2k.jpg

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
And the new name...20th Television for the TV studio arm is ridiculous.

You've been looking at that name since 1992...

What an appalling and disgraceful decision; demonstrating zero respect for Hollywood history

There was no decision being made here at all. This has always been a part of their agreement with Fox...

2CA855BD-4BF4-4ACA-A238-382AC4CBA90C.jpeg

Guys, I know dumping on Disney is what the cool HTF kids do but let's at least do so with accurate information...

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
21st Century Fox was a division of 20th Century Fox which focused on mid-level adult dramas and a bunch of literary adaptations. Disney closed that down when they acquired the studio and sold off its last remaining film, The Woman in the Window, to Netflix a week or so ago.

On another note with regard to the logos, Disney has an annoying history of updating their studio logo on catalog releases so that it reflects the current logo at the time of release. Pop in any recent animated Blu-ray like The Little Mermaid or Aladdin and you'll see the current CGI castle logo rather than the one from when the film was released in the first place.

This raises a question: on the new UHD disc of Home Alone, are they going to leave the logo as-is, or are they going to swap it to 20th Century Studios?

Obviously, I hope they leave it alone. But unfortunately, it would not shock me if it gets changed over.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
21st Century Fox was a division of 20th Century Fox which focused on mid-level adult dramas and a bunch of literary adaptations. Disney closed that down when they acquired the studio and sold off its last remaining film, The Woman in the Window, to Netflix a week or so ago.

I think you have some of the brandings mixed up.

21st Century Fox was the name of the corporation that was formed with Murdoch split News Corporation into two entities, and focused on the film and TV companies (including the 20th Century Fox studio). That was actually the company that Disney purchased (after the news and sports divisions were spun off into Fox Corporation).

The subsidiary that produced Woman in the Window was Fox 2000.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I think you have some of the brandings mixed up.

21st Century Fox was the name of the corporation that was formed with Murdoch split News Corporation into two entities, and focused on the film and TV companies (including the 20th Century Fox studio). That was actually the company that Disney purchased (after the news and sports divisions were spun off into Fox Corporation).

The subsidiary that produced Woman in the Window was Fox 2000.

Chip is correct. Be like Chip.

Ken Martinez

Auditioning
First time posting here.

If you go way back in history, the original name of the company was 20th Century Pictures which was created in 1935 as an independent studio and then later merged with Fox Films to become 20th Century Fox.

1597252314185.png

Since Disney bought 20th Century Fox it has now changed back to 20th Century. In some ways it's a return to the original name.

1597252394097.png

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Except they're keeping the 20th part which is arguably more outdated as it has been the 21st century for 20 years now. If this century were a person, that person would be in college by now.

And Fox Film Corporation was founded in 1915 so it already existed for 18 years when Joseph Schenk and Darryl F. Zanuck founded 20th Century Pictures in 1933. The merger was two years later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks