What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Avatar: The Way Of Water (4k UHD) (Digital) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyways, getting back to the subject, I'm expecting that Cameron is going to have the clout to get a physical release of this film done and that a digital download is not going to be its only release format outside of a release on D+.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There’s absolutely no reason to believe there wouldn’t be a physical release. No Disney-backed tentpole has eschewed one. On the other hand, every Disney-backed tentpole for the past decade has come out on digital before physical.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I’m curious as to why you refuse to see this at a theater? I worked in that business for 10 years mainly running film, I got out because I didn’t like the direction the business was heading (smaller screens and more ads mainly) and I’ve largely given up on seeing moves at theaters now. I did see Avatar because it likely won’t be in high frame rate 3D at home, I went to a brand new theater that had yet to disappoint me and sad to say the picture was just too dark and sound quality was anemic. Didn’t renew my faith in the experience at all.

There are a variety of reasons

First, I generally don't like going to the movie theater. It's the reason why I built my own. That feeling became even stronger after Covid. Not a fan of being in a small space with a lot of people.

The second reason was the running time. Just being stuck in a theater for three hours was just not appealing to me. And, that's not even counting the approx. 20 minutes of trailers and commercials. I could come late, but honestly, if I am going to see a film theatrically, I am going to want to see the trailers as well.

Some of you won't like my third reason. I saw Avatar in Hollywood, at its studio premier at the Chinese Theater. I have a signed ticket from James Cameron. It was a thrilling experience I'll never forget. However, I think I became burnt out on Avatar after seeing it multiple times. I know an incredible amount of talent went into these films, but for me, they come off as CGI cartoons. And the last thing I want to do is to insult the artistry within this film, but generally, these types of films are more about the visuals than the storyline. Yes, it's unfair for me to judge a film I have yet to see, but that's the impression I had after seeing the first.

And, yes, as someone who loves 3D, this is a film I should have made an exception for -- to view it on an IMAX screen at the proper frame rate. Shame on me for not doing it. And part of me regrets not doing it. It's still playing locally, though not in IMAX.

I have become so accustomed to watching all my entertainment on physical media or streaming in the privacy of my own theater where I can enjoy a remarkable projected 3D experience complete with Dolby Atmos and bass shaker reclining chairs. It's where I feel safe and most comfortable.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shame on me for not doing it.

I wouldn’t be nearly that hard on myself if I were in your shoes.

Going to theaters has a time cost, a money cost and potentially a health cost (even if that isn’t an equal consideration for all people - I’m past trying to suggest what people do but accept that everyone has different comfort levels and priorities in a Covid world).

It’s just a movie and you made the decision that was right for you and your household. No shame in that at all.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
However, I think I became burnt out on Avatar after seeing it multiple times. I know an incredible amount of talent went into these films, but for me, they come off as CGI cartoons. And the last thing I want to do is to insult the artistry within this film....
Too late. You not only insulted the talent that made Avatar, you also insulted the talent that make CG animated films. :laugh: 🤷

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
There are a variety of reasons

First, I generally don't like going to the movie theater. It's the reason why I built my own. That feeling became even stronger after Covid. Not a fan of being in a small space with a lot of people.

The second reason was the running time. Just being stuck in a theater for three hours was just not appealing to me. And, that's not even counting the approx. 20 minutes of trailers and commercials. I could come late, but honestly, if I am going to see a film theatrically, I am going to want to see the trailers as well.

Some of you won't like my third reason. I saw Avatar in Hollywood, at its studio premier at the Chinese Theater. I have a signed ticket from James Cameron. It was a thrilling experience I'll never forget. However, I think I became burnt out on Avatar after seeing it multiple times. I know an incredible amount of talent went into these films, but for me, they come off as CGI cartoons. And the last thing I want to do is to insult the artistry within this film, but generally, these types of films are more about the visuals than the storyline. Yes, it's unfair for me to judge a film I have yet to see, but that's the impression I had after seeing the first.

And, yes, as someone who loves 3D, this is a film I should have made an exception for -- to view it on an IMAX screen at the proper frame rate. Shame on me for not doing it. And part of me regrets not doing it. It's still playing locally, though not in IMAX.

I have become so accustomed to watching all my entertainment on physical media or streaming in the privacy of my own theater where I can enjoy a remarkable projected 3D experience complete with Dolby Atmos and bass shaker reclining chairs. It's where I feel safe and most comfortable.
I blew off seeing in Imax, and waited for the hype to settle. I waited to long. I like supporting local so I ended up seeing it at a very nice locally owned theater chain with 3D. Hate to say that was a mistake but, the experience was nothing like when I saw the first one in Imax. At all. However, I'm not sweating it. I'm thinking they'll do another limited run Imax drop, maybe next Christmas season.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
However, I'm not sweating it. I'm thinking they'll do another limited run Imax drop, maybe next Christmas season.

I think late summer is more likely - last weeks of August, beginning of September is usually when IMAX does repertory programming and encore presentations of hits from earlier in the year. The first Avatar received an IMAX re-release with additional footage in that same timeframe as well so there is some precedence for that.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I didn’t see the first Avatar in theaters, and have only watched it one time on 3D Blu-ray. I do intend to watch it again soon on my newer setup. I can see getting burned out on a movie seeing it too many times but every movie no matter how bad should be seen at least once.

I won’t buy Avatar 2 in anything less than high frame rate 3D though. The current technology only supports that at 720 resolution and every movie shot this way so far has been on disc at 1080 in 24fps, so I will just wait until it will support high frame rate 3D if it ever does.

“3D isn’t for everyone”- then don’t watch 3D movies, don’t expect 2D showings to adjust to your taste. Just like widescreen at home isn’t for everyone but don’t put out pan and scan versions to appease them, and the content of some movies isn’t for everyone but don’t edit it for them.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I won’t buy Avatar 2 in anything less than high frame rate 3D though. The current technology only supports that at 720 resolution and every movie shot this way so far has been on disc at 1080 in 24fps, so I will just wait until it will support high frame rate 3D if it ever does.
I think you meant to say 1080i, as that was how Fox handled the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma!

VisionMan

Grip
Real Name
David
I don't think we'll ever see a high frame rate 3D disc format. Although my XpanD active shutter RF 3D system will operate up to 240 Hz, all of my 3D is from blu-ray discs, of which I have a large collection. But my new Sony XW6000ES upscales each side to 4K, then presents it in "triple flash" format, ie, 96hz. It's not HFR or UHD, but the visual results are outstanding. For example, Hichcock's "Dial M for Murder" in 3D looks amazing for a film shot 70 years ago. Robert Burks knew what he was doing. The amount of chroma detail I can see in Grace Kelly's red dress is far superior to what my previous single chip DLP 2K 3D setup could present.

I have only had this new system about one month. Now, it's time to rediscover my 3D collection. Time for House of Wax" in 3D. And remember, black and white 3D is a whole 'nother art form! Consider "It Came From Outer Space, or TCFTBL.

I, too, await Avatar 2 in 3D, as I am a big fan of Cameron. I loved Avatar 2 in IMAX, and while the image in my home theater does not subtend as large a visual angle as IMAX, I have higher brightness in 3D than my local IMAX does. And I have a copy of the rare, European release of "Terminator 2" in 3D, which I assure you, is the only way to watch it.

I applaud all of you here who love 3D as I much as I do. There is a whole group of cells in the visual cortex that only fire when there is disparity present between the image being presented to each eye (stereoscopic vision). We want maximum visual stimulation! Flat images don't provide that.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
“3D isn’t for everyone”- then don’t watch 3D movies, don’t expect 2D showings to adjust to your taste. Just like widescreen at home isn’t for everyone but don’t put out pan and scan versions to appease them, and the content of some movies isn’t for everyone but don’t edit it for them.

That's a bit harsh. There are some people who cannot resolve or see 3D films. For example, someone who has lost an eye. I don't have an issue with a 2D release of the film. The issue I have is if a 3D version (the actual native format) is not made available as well.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Anyways, getting back to the subject, I'm expecting that Cameron is going to have the clout to get a physical release of this film done and that a digital download is not going to be its only release format outside of a release on D+.
It's also possible that Cameron has the clout and eco-consciousness (given that's one of the major themes of these movies) to prevent a physical release and all of the ocean-polluting plastic it would generate. Digital-only is certainly the more environmentally-friendly route to get this movie into people's homes, so it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron were to champion that approach.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's also possible that Cameron has the clout and eco-consciousness (given that's one of the major themes of these movies) to prevent a physical release and all of the ocean-polluting plastic it would generate. Digital-only is certainly the more environmentally-friendly route to get this movie into people's homes, so it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron were to champion that approach.
Yes, because the massive amounts of servers needed to store digital copies for download and/or streaming have no environmental effect with their massive consumption of power. Nothing we do is environmentally benign.

Where do all the obsolete servers go? I know. They go to Silicon Heaven where all the calculators go. :laugh:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, because the massive amounts of servers needed to store digital copies for download and/or streaming have no environmental effect with their massive consumption of power. Nothing we do is environmentally benign.

Where do all the obsolete servers go? I know. They go to Silicon Heaven where all the calculators go. :laugh:
They don't go to Silicon Heaven: they go to live on a farm upstate somewhere.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Like THE ABYSS will happen? Hope your source is a better one than Cameron himself. ;)

Dick, I'd rather not get into this conversation again.

It's only March. There has been a lot of reshuffling going on at Disney as of late from what I am being told.

Everyone gets pissed off when releases don't happen according to a rumored timeline.

Why don't we just wait things out for the next few months and see what happens.

...and yes, my source is solid but we are always at the mercy of internal studio rescheduling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks