What's new
World Wide Stereo

Cables - HDMI or Component (1 Viewer)

Dave1

Grip
Real Name
David
Trying to get a handle on this HDMI format. The ?'s I have are. (1) Is HDMI the only one that will carry the digital signal for A/V?
(2) Will component cables carry 1080i, is that the limit?
(3) How much better is HDMI to component? ( Video part )
(4) Is 1080i alot better than 720p?

I thinking about installing a ceiling projector and when I had the house built I had them install the cables in the ceiling ( component, cat5, cable, No HDMI )

Tks Dave

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave.

(1) HDMI carries both the video and audio in a digital format format. DVI carries the same video in digital, but not the audio.

(2) Component cables carry analog video signals. Since both 1080i & p top out at about 35 Mhz - any HD-rated set of component cables works great for both. Component cables CAN carry higher-frequency signals, but video engineers like the cables to handle 3-4 times the max expected frequency to avoid some artifacts.

(3) The video signal and quality is the same. The connection type does not limit the information.

However: HDMI has a slight edge over Component. This is because the component cables usually mean your source takes a digital signal, convert to analog for the cable. Then your television converts the analog to digital to 'play' with the signal for display. The extra Digital->Analog->Digital conversion can introduce artifacts.

HDMI stays digital so there is less conversion/electronics and a reduction in artifacts.

(4) Is 1080i a lot better than 720p - There was a lot of questions over this a few years ago. I believe it became a "coke vs pepsi" issue with no real winner.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, to reply to that last matter...
Picture quality is determined by a lot of things and resolution is an important part of those.

Most of the modern TV-sets can handle better horizontal resolutions than necessary for common NTSC or PAL. (As a result you may see a significant improvement already when playing 720- or 1080-lines material on a common TV-set, at 480 vertical lines.)

Of course that will even significantly improve if you go to real 720 lines material on a 720-lines display and again if you step up to 1080 vertical lines. So, in principle, the answer to your question is: yes, 1080 vertical lines (and the accompanying horizontal resolution) are significantly better than 720 vertical lines. The improvement factors (480 -> 720 vs. 720 -> 1080) are the same!

However here are some caveats:

(1) Does the TV-set really display full 1080 resolution?
Many "HD-Ready" TVs do not have 1920 x 1080 screens.

(2) How big is your display and how far from it are you sitting?
If you're sitting relatively far away from a relatively small TV-screen, a 1080-image on your retinas may hardly have a better resolution than the 720-image on the retinas of someone sitting closer to a somewhat bigger screen.

(3) How does the TV-set process the incoming image signal?
Some TV sets (many actually) do not process 1080p signals "properly": they convert it to a lower resolution first and then "upgrade" the image to 1080 vertical lines. (It is said that some other TV-sets do the same for 1080i, but actual info seems missing).
If you're going to buy a projector for HR movies, make sure you buy one that can do *real* 1080i and 1080p stuff. On this forum you will find very positive reviews of buyers of the new Sony Pearl (VPL-VW50), which seems to be just under $5000. I ordered one of these myself, but I didn't receive it yet, so I cannot tell you from own experiences if the're right. :)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks