What's new

Considering Gigabyte Aorus fo48u as a TV (1 Viewer)

liarma

Auditioning
Real Name
Liam
Hi all, looking for some opinions on the gigabyte aorus fo48u and using it as a TV.

It uses the same panel as the LG C1 48" but it is marketed as a gaming monitor and lacks any smart TV features and some other minor differences.

Currently where I live the fo48u is on sale for $1039 AUD which is almost half the price of the LG C1 48" ($1899 AUD). I don't really care for the smart TV features as I don't connect my TV to the internet anyway and am planning to use a PS5 for all my media (Netflix, Stan etc.) anyway.

From what I have read the HDMI 2.1 ports are limited to 24Gbps bandwidth as opposed to the C1 which has 48Gbps. I am not familiar with the new 4K 120Hz/HDMI standards, can someone tell me how this will affect performance with using a PS5 or PC using these HDMI ports? It does have a Display Port 1.4 though, if I am not mistaken I can use a Display port to HDMI cable and still have the full bandwidth though.

If someone with knowledge or experience with these displays could share their opinion or advice that would be greatly appreciated. From my limited viewpoint it seems that for the price, this is a great deal for someone who is on a budget and wants OLED and doesn't care for Smart TV features. Thanks!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Paging @TheFOMO as he might know if there are any other considerations. I don't know if the DP input supports Dolby Vision etc - that would be my main concern.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I follow PC monitors pretty closely and I haven't seen anyone raving about the Aorus...

"Unfortunately, it's not very bright, and the automatic static brightness limiter (ASBL) causes some issues with desktop use, as the screen dims automatically after a few minutes of relative inactivity."

Hard pass.

liarma

Auditioning
Real Name
Liam
I follow PC monitors pretty closely and I haven't seen anyone raving about the Aorus...

"Unfortunately, it's not very bright, and the automatic static brightness limiter (ASBL) causes some issues with desktop use, as the screen dims automatically after a few minutes of relative inactivity."

Hard pass.

I see. Interesting that the reasons you listed constitute as a "Hard pass". From what I could gather in the review, compared to the C1, the difference in brightness is hardly noticeable while viewing real content. The issue with ABSL and desktop use is irrelevant to me. The only time I will be connecting my PC is to play games via game pass with a controller on the couch. It's not going to be used as a monitor in the traditional sense whatsoever.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I found a few deal breakers on another review (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fo48u). Based on the two below, I would steer far clear of this display.
  • No support for Dolby Vision
  • No support for 24p content - this is most movies and a huge dealbreaker.

50p also isn't supported, but i'm no sure how much Aus content is in 50FPS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks