What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Cool Hand Luke (1967) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71+HsTr6uaL._SL1500_.jpg

Cool Hand Luke Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

• Commentary by Eric Lax
  • “A Natural-Born World-Shaker: Making Cool Hand Luke” (featurette)
  • Trailer

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Been a while since I’ve seen this one. Will have to give it another look (I have the DVD, not a BluRay).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember the eating of the hard boiled eggs, and Clifton James’s spiel of “gets a night in the box”.

This is such a great film -- certainly my favorite of Paul Newman. And of course, it has one of the most iconic lines of dialogue from the late, great Strother Martin.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Great movie with a great cast of actors that would later become better known to us.

Paul Newman might be my favorite all-time actor; certainly on a very short list of favorites and this role (Luke Jackson) is tied for my favorite Newman performance. The other role is in some ways the complete opposite - Hud Bannon.

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Paul Newman might be my favorite all-time actor; certainly on a very short list of favorites and this role (Luke Jackson) is tied for my favorite Newman performance. The other role is in some ways the complete opposite - Hud Bannon.

- Walter.
Have never seen Hud. I love his performance in The Hustler.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I first saw Cool Hand Luke in a college film class, and it's been a favorite ever since. Paul Newman has given us so many great performances over the years, but this may be his best. I cannot think of a Newman film I didn't enjoy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I first saw Cool Hand Luke in a college film class, and it's been a favorite ever since. Paul Newman has given us so many great performances over the years, but this may be his best. I cannot think of a Newman film I didn't enjoy.
I don’t know about that, but his performance in Hud was special too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don’t know about that, but his performance in Hud was special too.
I think Newman had many special performances. I agree that Hud was certainly one, too. And there was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, The Hustler, etc., etc. I could go on and on. Trying to pick "the best" is difficult and highly subjective. The man was terrific in so many good movies.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The following actors became bigger stars after Cool Hand Luke:

Joe Don Baker
J. D. Cannon
Ralph Waite
George Kennedy
Harry Dean Stanton
Wayne Rogers
Anthony Zerbe
Dennis Hopper
Luke Askew
Wow- I forgot that Waite and Stanton were in it.

Just ordered Hud from Amazon.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This portends 4K releases of other early WB classics, such as THE WILD BUNCH and BONNIE AND CLYDE. But...will these be the result of new 4k scans from the OCN's?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This portends 4K releases of other early WB classics, such as THE WILD BUNCH and BONNIE AND CLYDE. But...will these be the result of new 4k scans from the OCN's?
This is Warner we’re talking about! They're not going to do a half-ass effort to celebrate their 100th anniversary. Those Blu-rays were released 12-15 years ago so they have little choice, but to do new 4K scans from OCN's or the best surviving film elements.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Cool Hand Luke is an excellent movie. George Kennedy was great in this as is Newman of course. So many other good performances. Some iconic moments like Strother Martin's failure to communicate speech, the car wash and of course Newman's egg eating contest. Newman has played so many great roles but this and ,as mentioned by Robert Crawford, John Russell in Hombre are my favorites. My sister was an usher at our local theatre when Hombre was released and i could get in for free. I must have seen Hombre about 20 times. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Cool Hand Luke is an excellent movie. George Kennedy was great in this as is Newman of course. So many other good performances. Some iconic moments like Strother Martin's failure to communicate speech, the car wash and of course Newman's egg eating contest. Newman has played so many great roles but this and ,as mentioned by Robert Crawford, John Russell in Hombre are my favorites. My sister was an usher at our local theatre when Hombre was released and i could get in for free. I must have seen Hombre about 20 times. :)

My memory is getting very bad.

So, after reading these posts, I decided that I needed to see HOMBRE.

Looked on Apple TV and saw it was $10. Before I hit purchase, I did a search of my DVDProfiler as I often forget what I have in my physical media library.

Lo' and Behold, a Blu-ray of HOMBRE came up. I have it. It's the copy released by Twilight Time. It was open, which leads me to believe I watched it at some point. I'll have to go back and reference the Twilight Time thread here on HTF to see if I added any comments to it. In any case, I don't remember watching it so I'll have to give it another spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks