What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Cool Hand Luke (1967) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My memory is getting very bad.

So, after reading these posts, I decided that I needed to see HOMBRE.

Looked on Apple TV and saw it was $10. Before I hit purchase, I did a search of my DVDProfiler as I often forget what I have in my physical media library.

Lo' and Behold, a Blu-ray of HOMBRE came up. I have it. It's the copy released by Twilight Time. It was open, which leads me to believe I watched it at some point. I'll have to go back and reference the Twilight Time thread here on HTF to see if I added any comments to it. In any case, I don't remember watching it so I'll have to give it another spin.
Ron, I think you and I discussed Hombre beforehand.

Here's your comments about Hombre:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Looked on Apple TV and saw it was $10. Before I hit purchase, I did a search of my DVDProfiler as I often forget what I have in my physical media library.

Lo' and Behold, a Blu-ray of HOMBRE came up. I have it. It's the copy released by Twilight Time. It was open, which leads me to believe I watched it at some point. I'll have to go back and reference the Twilight Time thread here on HTF to see if I added any comments to it. In any case, I don't remember watching it so I'll have to give it another spin.
Ron,

I record when I watch a title in DVD Profiler (and mark when my wife watches the title, too). It's a very useful feature, IMO. I can use a filter to find all the titles in my library that have not been watched. It also helps us decide what to watch on a particular evening -- if we have a few titles being considered, we usually opt for the one that we have gone the longest since last viewing.

BTW, I watched that Twilight Time BD of Hombre on April 18, 2016. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

I record when I watch a title in DVD Profiler (and mark when my wife watches the title, too). It's a very useful feature, IMO. I can use a filter to find all the titles in my library that have not been watched. It also helps us decide what to watch on a particular evening -- if we have a few titles being considered, we usually opt for the one that we have gone the longest since last viewing.

BTW, I watched that Twilight Time BD of Hombre on April 18, 2016. ;)
If I had to do it all over again when I started with DVD Profiler, I would have used that function. To do it now after more than 20 years would be kind of fruitless.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been ignorant of that feature on DVDProfiler.

For me, if the shrinkwrap has been removed, I have watched it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have been ignorant of that feature on DVDProfiler.

I also use it for the films in my digital library, as I add those to DVD Profiler, too (I'll add a disc of the same title and change the media type to a custom one). It's difficult to remove the shrink wrap from a digital copy. ;)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Not for me. While I've failed to do so on many an occasion, I always try to take the shrinkwrap off, and at least do a chapter-skip through the disc to see if there are any glitches so that I can return it while I can.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

It's a really cool Western. Newman is, as usual, great in it and it is a really good story. Very tense drama, so I kind of think if you watched it, you would recall it. I saw it as a boy and it kind of rocked me and I could not forget the ending.

The Newman Western I really want on a Blu at this point is The Left Handed Gun.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I guess I did screw up, so I have to figure out how to cancel the order.

Update- looks like it was easy enough to stop the order. Sure don’t want something I can’t use. Thanks guys for letting me know there isn’t an American release.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching HOMBRE

Had not remembered any of it, that is, until the final third which takes place in a mining camp. That sparked my memory.

Enjoyed it immensely. Newman plays his character with a straight, tough face from start to finish.

Richard Boone is one of the best western villains I have seen on screen. He's just remarkable to watch.

Great film!

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Just finished watching HOMBRE

Had not remembered any of it, that is, until the final third which takes place in a mining camp. That sparked my memory.

Enjoyed it immensely. Newman plays his character with a straight, tough face from start to finish.

Richard Boone is one of the best western villains I have seen on screen. He's just remarkable to watch.

Great film!

I like Hombre but I can watch Newman in anything.

I don't think there is any other actor who has appeared in so many movies I like other than Newman.

Maybe Pacino. But not many others.

Hud
The Hustler
Hombre
The Verdict
CHL
Blaze
The Color Of Money
Butch Cassidy
Long Hot Summer

Just ridiculous.

The Sting is not bad but not as good for me as it is with most people.

Have got "Nobody's Fool" , "The Towering Inferno" and "Where The Money Is" on my "To Watch" list as have yet to see them but will do soon.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This is such a great film -- certainly my favorite of Paul Newman. And of course, it has one of the most iconic lines of dialogue from the late, great Strother Martin.
Agreed Ron. One of my all-time favs. While I’m quite pleased with the quality of the BluRay, I’m sure there’s room for improvement from this forthcoming newly remastered print. I’ll be reading all of your comments here as I would double-dip for a film of this caliber.

Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-1.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-2.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-3.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-4.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-5.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-6.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-7.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-8.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-9.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-10.jpg
Cool Hand Luke (1967) [BluRay]-11.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I guess I did screw up, so I have to figure out how to cancel the order.

Update- looks like it was easy enough to stop the order. Sure don’t want something I can’t use. Thanks guys for letting me know there isn’t an American release.
The iTunes version goes on sale at times. I paid $4 for it a couple of years ago.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like Hombre but I can watch Newman in anything.

I don't think there is any other actor who has appeared in so many movies I like other than Newman.

Maybe Pacino. But not many others.

Hud
The Hustler
Hombre
The Verdict
CHL
Blaze
The Color Of Money
Butch Cassidy
Long Hot Summer

Just ridiculous.

The Sting is not bad but not as good for me as it is with most people.

Have got "Nobody's Fool" , "The Towering Inferno" and "Where The Money Is" on my "To Watch" list as have yet to see them but will do soon.
I would add the following to that list:

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
Slapshot
Road to Perdition
Cat On a Hot Tin Roof

Newman left us with some great performances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both, Hombre and Cool Hand Luke were released in 1967. Hud was the first Newman movie I watched in a movie theater. Later that year, Cool Hand Luke was the second Newman movie I watched in a theater. Both of them were important movies in my appreciation for film as an artform. No parent or older sibling was present when I viewed both movies for the first time.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks