What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Have you considered purchasing the iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos version? It’s on sale for only $4.99 and has all the extras.
Just keep in mind that the only way to access the Theatrical Cut and special features on the Apple TV app is on an Apple TV device, although you can also access the special features on the Movies Anywhere app. As noted in my review, and one week later nothing has changed, with the exception of Apple TV/iTunes on an Apple TV device, none of the digital retailers have included the theatrical cut, including Movies Anywhere.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If you like low bitrate video and lossy audio and not actually owning anything (you lease, you don't buy "digital"). To me, that's not a great deal any way you slice it.

You cannot download a high bitrate 4k version anyway off of iTunes.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you considered purchasing the iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos version? It’s on sale for only $4.99 and has all the extras.
I see enough of a difference between the iTunes 4K digital and the 4K/UHD release that I'm happy to have the 4K disc in my film library.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If you like low bitrate video and lossy audio and not actually owning anything (you lease, you don't buy "digital"). To me, that's not a great deal any way you slice it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don't agree with your assessment regarding it not being a great deal. However, you're factually correct that a 4K digital has a much lower bitrate than an actual 4K disc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
you're factually correct that a 4K digital has a much lower bitrate than an actual 4K disc.
That may be, but in motion I can rarely tell difference between a 4K stream on iTunes and a physical disc. To me the difference is usually negligible. As is the sound

But when it is noticeable I always purchase the disc too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That may be, but in motion I can rarely tell difference between a 4K stream on iTunes and a physical disc. To me the difference is usually negligible. As is the sound

But when it is noticeable I always purchase the disc too.
I'm not going to argue in what you're seeing versus what I'm seeing on my displays.

However, there are still too many 4K digital titles that don't have Dolby Atmos like their 4K disc counterparts.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm not going to argue in what you're seeing versus what I'm seeing on my displays.
We have the same display if you recall. And I’m pretty sure we agree most of the time. Im not doubting what you’re seeing as I haven’t seen the Enter The Dragon disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We have the same display if you recall. And I’m pretty sure we agree most of the time. Im not doubting what you’re seeing as I haven’t seen the Enter The Dragon disc.
I have two LG OLEDs. I didn't watch it on the same model that you own. Furthermore, my sitting position is closer in my home office HT than that same model that resides in my main HT.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I have not because I don't do anything other than physical, but would that version bring an improvement to the things I was talking about in my post? Does the DV make that big a difference in terms of the PQ?

My issue wasn't with the colors or HDR presentation but more that the film could have been sharpened a bit more; some sequences dipped into BD/DVD territory to my eyes, notably those moments with Jim Kelly's character and also when Saxon's character is at the golf course.

My setup, also, isn't ready for Atmos or even Dolby Vision (we have a Samsung TV which doesn't support DV).

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Am I seeing that chart right on the Caps a Holic site? The average nit level on the US ETD release is 100?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks