What's new

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Wait....I must have missed something....

There is a missing Theatrical Cut somewhere? Was it on the DISC?

Because my version definitely has both.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought it was to ignore the customer at all costs…
Variations on a theme. I find the truly skilled ones constantly give the impression of addressing problems, as they do absolutely nothing.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
They’re talking about the digital.
Ahhhhhh....

Carry On GIFs | Tenor

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am late to the table here as I waited for a price drop before ordering this film on 4k disc. Then, of course, till Amazon ships it...

I haven't read all four pages of this conversation. I did skim through the first, however.

Going back to an earlier assessment by @Kaskade1309 on the video, I have to agree that this is not a jaw-dropping 4k presentation. Don't get me wrong -- at times the transfer looks quite sharp and detailed. However, there are many other moments that look faded and blurred. The entire sequence at the start of the film with the teacher talking to Bruce Lee is a prime example of how mediocre the transfer can look.

However, in saying all of this I don't have a reference to compare it to. It has been ages since I have seen the Blu-ray. I don't know what kind of condition the original elements were in and I tend to think, with Warner's reputation, this is probably the best this film could have looked.

In any event, it's nice to finally have a 4k copy of this in my library. I have always enjoyed ENTER THE DRAGON, though since I discovered it through A FISTFUL OF YEN, it's sometimes difficult to take the film seriously. That is probably the best film parody ever made. They really nailed the look and feel of ENTER THE DRAGON including all of Bruce Lee's little nuances.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I am late to the table here as I waited for a price drop before ordering this film on 4k disc. Then, of course, till Amazon ships it...
I'm the same way with a lot of titles, Ron -- I just don't think they're worth the initial asking price. That's why I'm holding off on picking up Equalizer 3 and Exorcist: Believer.
I haven't read all four pages of this conversation. I did skim through the first, however.

Going back to an earlier assessment by @Kaskade1309 on the video, I have to agree that this is not a jaw-dropping 4k presentation. Don't get me wrong -- at times the transfer looks quite sharp and detailed. However, there are many other moments that look faded and blurred. The entire sequence at the start of the film with the teacher talking to Bruce Lee is a prime example of how mediocre the transfer can look.
THANK you for noting this -- indeed, it was far from jaw-dropping, and I felt like they could have done a little better here (as I said with Paramount's 4K transfer of Escape From Alcatraz which was prepared for Kino Lorber). When I mentioned the issues I had with certain areas of the film, I was quasi-berated by people telling me the trouble is with my expectations of film element appearances; at any rate, I am glad someone else saw what I did, as well.

To be honest, that opening sequence looked pretty good to me -- most striking were the golds and reds of the costumes in that scene, worn by the guys surrounding Lee and his opponent in that first "match," which absolutely exploded off my screen in HDR10. Coming from the 25th Anniversary DVD, it made that old disc look downright muddy in comparison -- it was like watching it with new eyes it was so bright and punchy. However, once the scene moves into that moment when Lee is talking with the master, the picture quality takes a nosedive, and you can clearly see it -- this effect punctuates many scenes in the transfer, including the one I always bring up with Saxon at the golf course. These sequences come off as looking almost DVD-to-poorly-mastered-Blu-ray on the UHD.
However, in saying all of this I don't have a reference to compare it to. It has been ages since I have seen the Blu-ray. I don't know what kind of condition the original elements were in and I tend to think, with Warner's reputation, this is probably the best this film could have looked.
My reference was the 25th Anniversary DVD -- which used a master from the late 90s if I am not mistaken -- so the 4K definitely didn't look "bad" to me! But there were places it really could have looked better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This movie will never be eye dropping gorgeous for reasons already stated beforehand. It has nothing to do with berating someone’s opinion. It’s about the film elements and processes related to when the movie was filmed.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
This movie will never be eye dropping gorgeous for reasons already stated beforehand. It has nothing to do with berating someone’s opinion. It’s about the film elements and processes related to when the movie was filmed.
I wasn't referring to you with that statement. The individual who did the berating knows he did it.

And because now Ronald says he agrees with what I found, I can't point out that I find it refreshing that someone else did?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks