What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDMI control issue (1 Viewer)

IncredibleGonzo

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Hi all! I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on an issue I'm having with HDMI control in my setup. I've got a Panasonic TX-P50U10B TV, and a Yamaha HTR-3067 receiver. Whenever I enable HDMI control on the receiver and 'Viera Link' on the TV, it sends all audio to the TV speakers instead of the surround speakers. There's an option for whether to output to the speakers or to the TV, but turning on HDMI control disables this. It's not just audio from the TV, it's anything, from my Roku. or my PS3, which are connected via HDMI to the receiver.

Is there any way around this? I can't find an option for it in the TV settings. Would an optical cable between the TV and the receiver work (as far as I can tell the TV doesn't support ARC)? Seems a bit silly for the receiver to send sound to the TV only for the TV to send it back but if it works I guess... Would that degrade the quality at all? I've heard optical audio doesn't have as much bandwidth as HDMI?

For the moment it works fine if I just turn off Viera Link on the TV, but it would be nice to have the control functionality available.

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

IncredibleGonzo

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
I’m lost. Which piece of equipment has this option? And for those of us who don’t have Panasonic TVs, what is the “Viera Link" supposed to accomplish?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The receiver has the option. Viera Link seems to be Panasonic's brand name for HDMI control. It does manage the basic function of letting the TV and receiver turn each other on and off.

IncredibleGonzo

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Try turning off the HDMI ARC feature. If that doesn’t work, then please give me a page number in the manual that discusses the option you mentioned that sends sound to either the receiver’s speakers or the TV’s speakers.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/download

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Try turning off the HDMI ARC feature. If that doesn’t work, then please give me a page number in the manual that discusses the option you mentioned that sends sound to either the receiver’s speakers or the TV’s speakers.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/download

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

It's on page 57. It's a little confusing, it sort of sounds like maybe this is the intended behaviour and I need an optical audio cable. But it also says it switches to the TV's audio when the TV is switched to its built-in tuner (which seems to suggest it doesn't use the TV audio otherwise?)

ARC is disabled on the receiver, doesn't seem to make any difference if it's on or off. As far as I can tell the TV doesn't support it, it doesn't have a menu option for it at any rate.

Maybe I just need to go ahead and by an optical audio cable and see if it works... they aren't too expensive, not a massive loss if it doesn't I guess.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d say turn off the Viera Link for now. We only want to send a picture to the TV via HDMI, not do any other control features. Basically we want the TV to be a video monitor and nothing else.

From P. 57 in the Yamaha manual, try these settings (starting at the top left of the page).

HDMI Control – OFF. Seems to be Yamaha’s version of the Viera Link.
Audio Output, Amp – ON. Enables audio output to the speakers connected to the receiver (strange place to put a control like that).
Audio Output, HDMI – OFF. Enables audio output from the TV, which we do not want.

The other options on P. 57 and 58 (TV Audio Input, et. al.) only function if the HDMI Control is set for “ON”, so they should all be set for OFF.

See if this works.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks