What's new
World Wide Stereo

Hertz Question? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Do you set your speakers in your reciever as to the freq data sheet for your speakers? Ex. A 35hz speaker set to 40hz in the settings? I recently started upgrading my stuff and have a 7.8.6 system and was curious. I remember back in the day everyone said set everything to 80hz and wondering if that changed. My speakers are rated for a much lower rating and would think you would want to maximize their potential. Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
I have always set the receiver crossover settings to 10Hz above the speakers lowest frequency rating (or roll off as some call it), To me there isn't much point in having a low end capable speaker if you are going to clip its frequency range.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Do you set your speakers in your reciever as to the freq data sheet for your speakers? Ex. A 35hz speaker set to 40hz in the settings? I recently started upgrading my stuff and have a 7.8.6 system and was curious. I remember back in the day everyone said set everything to 80hz and wondering if that changed. My speakers are rated for a much lower rating and would think you would want to maximize their potential. Thanks

So, the question becomes what you are using your speakers for.
In a typical home theater, the industry-standard, I believe, is setting the speakers to small with the crossover around 100 and the sub around 120. I ran my system with Klipsch RF-7's, a large speaker if you aren't familiar with them, and the system sounded great. Recently, I have piddled with the settings, changing them to large and setting my sub to kick in toward the bottom of the speaker's capabilities and that also sounds great to me. The challenge of doing that is the center channel. If the center channel does not handle the lower frequencies, then the subs will not compensate for what the center lacks, until that frequency gets to the subs crossover settings. You may or may not care, or notice that, but it is a drawback worth considering.

If you are a 2 channel guy, focused on music primarily, I would run them at large regardless.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's just no simple answer to that question, and it's always a good idea to experiment a bit. As guideline, which nobody ever wants to follow, I suggest doubling the low end -3dB spec for the main speakers, at the minimum. So, if the -3dB spec for your speakers is 40Hz, I suggest no less than 80Hz. But, like I said, nobody ever seems to want that suggestion. They typically want to set it as low as possible, believing that's getting the most out of their system. It's interesting that they never take it the other way, such as if the high frequency capability of your sub is 200Hz, nobody ever sets the crossover to that. My decades of experimenting and observing with different systems is that if you main speakers play down to 35Hz and your sub plays up to 200Hz, your crossover should be somewhere between those points, not at one extreme.

The front speakers in my main HT are truly flat (+/- 1/4dB to 35Hz) but I set the crossover for movies at 85Hz and music at 50Hz. that's after many years of experimenting and adjusting. Another system will be completely different. It's incredibly complicated, which is why most people just let the room correction do it.

Basically, if you ask 10 people this question, you'll get 12 different answers. Plus, without any details at all about what equipment you are using and what the room is like, ther’s no way to give any answers other than generalities.

BTW, do you really have eight subwoofers in your system? (7.8.6)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks