What's new
World Wide Stereo

How to make an av receiver to (1 Viewer)

aspiring to know

Auditioning
Real Name
Sérgio
Hi,

I’m having doubts about the connections of my tv/av receiver/ Wi-Fi input iptv signals:
I have been using a wireless IPTV service, directly from my home router to my smart tv, and it worked fine. But now I'm thinking about buying an av receiver (Sony str-dn1080) that has video upscaling to 4k capabilities, but (according to their website) this function works only when video signals are received via the HDMI IN jacks. And also HDMI input signal must be 1080p/24 Hz 2D signal.

So, can anybody tell me:
-Since this receiver has built in Wi-Fi, can it be used to upscale video for 4k?
-Is there a solution to convert wireless audio/video signals to HDMI?
-What if instead of the wi-fi signal, there was a ethernet connection (with some work, i could arranje for this), would then be possible to convert it into HDMI in order to feed the av receiver?

Thanks for your attention.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You cannot upscale the video from the display's built-in apps via an AVR, since the video never leaves the display. However, if you have a 4K display, all the built-in apps will either supply native 4K video or automatically upscale the video to 4K, depending on the model of display you own and the apps being used. A 4K display upscales every video signal lower than its native resolution to 4K.

Instead of using the built-in apps on your TV, an alternative would be to buy an external streaming device such as an Apple TV or Roku. Both companies make 4K boxes, so no upscaling would be needed via this solution, either. It is usually better to allow your display to do the upscaling anyway, as very few AVR's will do this task better than your display or a source component such as a streaming box or UHD disc player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks