What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max owners thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Taking old iPhone off of the account did not help. I had to manually (through Home app, in the new iPhone...how ironic) remove and reset both HomePods and then re-pair them with the new iPhone (using the same app). Now I can ask Siri to turn on/off my bedroom lights again. That’s the only thing (outside of music) I ever used my HomePod for so I don’t know what other functionality you are missing. Oh I did just ask Siri what my next meeting was and she told me the correct answer FWIW.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Carlo. I had a feeling the new iOS 14.2 or iOS and iPhone 12 just works differently now. And notifications works differently. I took the watch off and I suspect the notifications will light up the iPhone now. And when one wears the watch, notifications will light up the watch. Or there’s a setting somewhere to fix this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Could be, since I also had to un-pair and re-pair (actually full reset) my Watch to get it to pair to the new phone. Also we both waited several generations. I've been texting my buddy who gets a new iPhone and Mac every year (no, not Ron lol) because he's head of his company's IT department, and all of his stuff (watch, HomePod, etc.) all just came over magically. Maybe he did these steps one or two gens ago, he doesn't remember, but he definitely didn't have to do it when his new 12 Pro Max was set up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Carlo, skipping several generations, I’d think wouldn’t make that much difference if one always updated to the latest iOS. But anything is possible. I did take the watch off over an hour ago and I’ve had 4 notifications show and light up the iPhone with an audio alert. These were Apple News notifications. So my theory is the Apple Watch takes priority if you’re wearing it, if not, the iPhone takes priority. I’ll leave the watch off for another 1/2 hour. I need to have it back on to register my standing hours and movement! Funny how we get so attached to recording our activity!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Despite not being thrilled with a super large phone, I continue to be awed by the camera. I won't blow this thread up with more large shots, but as you can tell from my previous post, I photograph guitars a lot. My own, others in shops that are beautiful, etc. There's a lot of fine detail in them, from the tight wood grain, flame/silking cross patterns in the wood, herringbone purfling on the borders. All of these were areas where my X struggled, and even my (admittedly now 10 year old) Canon 7D DSLR struggled. Despite the 7D's age, I have some of Canon's better glass for it.

The 12 Pro Max (and again I can't compare it to a non-Max, only own this one) more than holds it's own against the 7D with my 18-55 f/2.8 IS glass. Sure the 7D has more resolution (18MP vs. 12MP) but the detail available in the Pro Max, especially in dim light, is as good or dare I say better? Not sure if this is just due to the difference 10+ years can make in sensor technology (because the 7D has a larger sensor and larger pixel size) or if it's due to Apple's computational behind-the-scenes wizardry.

I'm 100% positive if I got a new, current DSLR I'd be able to exceed the 12's PQ easily. But...to spend 2K+ on another DSLR...would likely push very much against the "law of diminishing returns" for me. The gain in PQ would be more than offset by the cost of the new DSLR and again, by the need to lug around a DSLR and my lenses.

I was more than willing to make that sacrifice with the X. With the 12 Pro Max, I no longer have to.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Despite not being thrilled with a super large phone, I continue to be awed by the camera. I won't blow this thread up with more large shots, but as you can tell from my previous post, I photograph guitars a lot. My own, others in shops that are beautiful, etc. There's a lot of fine detail in them, from the tight wood grain, flame/silking cross patterns in the wood, herringbone purfling on the borders. All of these were areas where my X struggled, and even my (admittedly now 10 year old) Canon 7D DSLR struggled. Despite the 7D's age, I have some of Canon's better glass for it.

The 12 Pro Max (and again I can't compare it to a non-Max, only own this one) more than holds it's own against the 7D with my 18-55 f/2.8 IS glass. Sure the 7D has more resolution (18MP vs. 12MP) but the detail available in the Pro Max, especially in dim light, is as good or dare I say better? Not sure if this is just due to the difference 10+ years can make in sensor technology (because the 7D has a larger sensor and larger pixel size) or if it's due to Apple's computational behind-the-scenes wizardry.

I'm 100% positive if I got a new, current DSLR I'd be able to exceed the 12's PQ easily. But...to spend 2K+ on another DSLR...would likely push very much against the "law of diminishing returns" for me. The gain in PQ would be more than offset by the cost of the new DSLR and again, by the need to lug around a DSLR and my lenses.

I was more than willing to make that sacrifice with the X. With the 12 Pro Max, I no longer have to.

Very glad it's so good for much of your photographic needs.

It does seem great at what it's designed to do... even possibly challenging DSLR capability in some (specific) way(s)...

For most people, that may indeed be all they really need (and ever want to learn to do), and that's probably what/all really matters in such a camera.

I'm currently rather up in the air about my upgrade... maybe juggling a few too many expensive upgrades and quite substantial changes that will take several months or possibly more amidst this pandemic situation. Might end up just postponing til the next gen instead... since I'm not even getting much, if any, use out of my last round or so of photographic upgrades. Will have to see...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And let me be clear: a current DSLR with good glass will be superior. I do not mean to imply it's better than a current DSLR. But its pics are more pleasing to me than my now 10-year old DSLR (with some great Canon lenses that are still relevant today), in a way that the iPhone X wasn't.

As you noted, my main point was DSLRs aren't for everyone. In fact, they aren't even for most people. And what I think the 12 Pro Max does is render a standard point and shoot (even a nice, expensive one) irrelevant. And it makes a casual-to-entry-level-prosumer photographer really question a DSLR's worth in terms of additional cash outlay and lugging gear around.

Do not get me wrong. If I'm visiting the Giza pyramids or the Great Wall, I'll probably rent a DSLR for the trip and bring my glass. But short of seeing once-in-a-lifetime landmarks? As of now the 12 Pro Max is all I'll need (unless I need high zoom range). And I haven't even begun to mess with the ProRAW in the beta, which takes 25MB pictures but gives you the flexibility of Apple's version of RAW file format.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't go out much these days. I mean, not a lot of us do.

I went to the local supermarket the other day and while I was out in the parking lot, I took out my new 5G iPhone to test the download speed.

I was impressed. 360mbps. That's better than my wireless WiFi speed in my home by 100mbps.

And I know that's not nearly the top speed that 5G can offer. Just the fastest speed I have seen from cell data thus far.

I wish we had the infrastructure to get rid of WiFi and offer 5G speeds in every home. I know it's a pipe dream and I wouldn't want the phone companies charging for that data, but it is a means of offering very high-speed data to many, many customers.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't go out much these days. I mean, not a lot of us do.

I went to the local supermarket the other day and while I was out in the parking lot, I took out my new 5G iPhone to test the download speed.

I was impressed. 360mbps. That's better than my wireless WiFi speed in my home by 100mbps.

And I know that's not nearly the top speed that 5G can offer. Just the fastest speed I have seen from cell data thus far.

I wish we had the infrastructure to get rid of WiFi and offer 5G speeds in every home. I know it's a pipe dream and I wouldn't want the phone companies charging for that data, but it is a means of offering very high-speed data to many, many customers.

Curious. How was the response (ie. ping) time though? And upstream speed?

I usually see pretty meh response times and upstream speeds for LTE wherever I've checked (w/ full signal).

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Curious. How was the response (ie. ping) time though? And upstream speed?

I usually see pretty meh response times and upstream speeds for LTE wherever I've checked (w/ full signal).

_Man_

I'll take a screenshot next time I go to the Supermarket. Probably Wednesday.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'll take a screenshot next time I go to the Supermarket. Probably Wednesday.

If you're using the Ookla Speedtest app, it should save your results for later (re)viewing by default. Not sure how many old results it keeps, but at least the last 20.

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you're using the Ookla Speedtest app, it should save your results for later (re)viewing by default. Not sure how many old results it keeps, but at least the last 20.

_Man_

Thanks for letting me know. In that case...

IMG_0029.PNG

I thought I remembered it as high as 360Mbps but apparently not. This is still faster than my home WiFi speed

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Today was the first time I took a quick drive in my car with the new iPhone 12P. I hooked it up to my car’s aftermarket head unit that is CarPlay enabled. To my surprise it took several minutes to work. The display was black on my car’s head unit. I checked the CarPlay settings in settings and didn’t see anything to set. After a few more seconds the screen lit up with CarPlay. So maybe the iPhone needed to download drivers. I don’t know, it appears ok. I used Maps to see if that worked and played music via iTunes. So that was good.

While I was out, I also did a 5G speed test via the ookla Speedtest app. I didn’t get anywhere near the results that Ron got. My display shows AT&T 5Ge. So I figured it’s not full on 5G in the area I was in.

Download speed: 38.6Mbps
Upload speed: 10.4Mbps.
Ping was 39ms

The city location of the wireless that I assume my iPhone connected to was 45 miles away. That’s what the Speedtest app shows.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Today was the first time I took a quick drive in my car with the new iPhone 12P. I hooked it up to my car’s aftermarket head unit that is CarPlay enabled. To my surprise it took several minutes to work. The display was black on my car’s head unit. I checked the CarPlay settings in settings and didn’t see anything to set. After a few more seconds the screen lit up with CarPlay. So maybe the iPhone needed to download drivers. I don’t know, it appears ok. I used Maps to see if that worked and played music via iTunes. So that was good.

While I was out, I also did a 5G speed test via the ookla Speedtest app. I didn’t get anywhere near the results that Ron got. My display shows AT&T 5Ge. So I figured it’s not full on 5G in the area I was in.

Download speed: 38.6Mbps
Upload speed: 10.4Mbps.
Ping was 39ms

The city location of the wireless that I assume my iPhone connected to was 45 miles away. That’s what the Speedtest app shows.
There are people who’d love to get that download speed from their broadband provider. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wolffan91
Recent bookmarks