What's new
World Wide Stereo

It looks like it's time for a new AVR. (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Some of you may already be familiar with my 4K issue with my Pioneer SC67. I purchased a 4K DVD player to replace my failing Sony Bluray player and the new player was unable to pass both video and audio through the same HDMI output. To use the player in my system I had to run a second HDMI cable to my projector for the video from the 4K player and another HDMI cable to my receiver for the sound. Everything is installed and working.

The only issue now is that with my components out of sight from my projector screen and now that HDMI video for the new 4K player goes directly to my projector bypassing the receiver I no longer see the on screen display for volume, sound modes etc.... It's annoying enough that it's worth researching and purchasing a new AVR.

I have a 7.1 system. I'm looking for something that can handle all of the new sound formats. Full 4k compatible. Must be a good match with my Paradigm studio speakers. Quick research shows that just about every new receiver will do more than what I would need it too. I guess the decision will be based on budget and how much quality I can get for my money. I would like to stay under $2000.00.

Current equipment:

AVR: Pioneer SC-67
Speakers: Fronts - Paradigm Studio 60, Center - Studio CC, Sides - Studio ADP, Rear surrounds - Studio 20's SVS 12 inch sub (not sure which model)

Sony X700
Directv.

All input is appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you are good with 7.1.2 Denon 3500. If you want/need to go 7.1.4 (which is niiiice) then Denon 6500. Others here will try to sell you on using an outboard amplifier instead for the extra 2 channels but that is my my advice.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Thanks Sam. Separates will be out of my budget so I'm better off with another AVR. Are you talking about the X3500H? I was wondering if that would have enough juice to drive my speakers adequately. it seems to have all of the features I would need and I like Denon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are good with 7.1.2 Denon 3500. If you want/need to go 7.1.4 (which is niiiice) then Denon 6500. Others here will try to sell you on using an outboard amplifier instead for the extra 2 channels but that is my my advice.
The Denon 4500 would also support 7.1.4 for less money, depending on your budget.

I went from owning two Pioneer Elite receivers to a Denon X3300W, and have been very pleased with the Denon. Sound quality is excellent with my B&W 600 Series speakers, the Audyssey calibration system worked better than Pioneer's MCAAC, and it is pretty easy to set everything else up.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At risk of facing Sam’s derision, you do have the option of using an external amp for the front three speakers with any of these receivers, if you’re concerned about having sufficient power. You can let the receiver power the rest of the speakers. It’s extremely easy to set up.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks Sam. Separates will be out of my budget so I'm better off with another AVR. Are you talking about the X3500H? I was wondering if that would have enough juice to drive my speakers adequately. it seems to have all of the features I would need and I like Denon.

Yep. Have sold 2 friends on getting just this model recently, it was a step up from them. Watch Frys for great pricing, and ask BestBuy if they will match it. They don't technically have to but my friends didn't have to do any convincing, BB jumped at the chance to do so.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Not separates as traditionally thought of, just an external amplifier for a few of the channels. I am no expert, if you want to go that route @JohnRice would be an excellent resource.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Denon 3600 is coming out next month, and it does 11 channel processing. So, I would wait a while. I see two good options. Get the 3500 on closeout (you can get incredible deals, as long as you act when they show up), if you don't have any plan to go 7.x.4. If you think you might go 7.x.4 some time, then wait for the 3600. Either option will keep you under your budget, even with a good 5 channel amp to drive the front three and front surrounds. Either the Outlaw 5000 or the Emotiva A-5175 are excellent choices. If you choose the Outlaw, just be certain you are prepared for how big and heavy it is. I think it's over 50lbs. The Emotiva is 10-15 lbs lighter, simply because its design is a little higher tech and newer.

The reason I suggest a five channel amp instead of a three channel one to only power the front is because the three channel amps I'm aware of are more powerful and a lot more expensive. The Emotiva XPA-3 is $1.2K, I think, where the A-5175 is $800 and the Outlaw was $700 the last time I checked. Those five channel amps are just a better option and better value for most people.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If you have 7.1 setup, and if you have full range speakers across the front (or full range speakers all around), I would opt to for something more powerful than an AVR 80 wpc that weighs only 19 lbs as that will not do it. I have Paradigm Studio v5s in a 7.1 setup and a Denon with "140 wpc". Even so, I still had to get an external two channel amp to properly drive my mains so the AVR amps could power everything else.

If you are in a small room and do not have full range Paradigms, then the Denon 3500 might be a good fit.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
If you have 7.1 setup, and if you have full range speakers across the front (or full range speakers all around), I would opt to for something more powerful than an AVR 80 wpc that weighs only 19 lbs as that will not do it. I have Paradigm Studio v5s in a 7.1 setup and a Denon with "140 wpc". Even so, I still had to get an external two channel amp to properly drive my mains so the AVR amps could power everything else.

If you are in a small room and do not have full range Paradigms, then the Denon 3500 might be a good fit.

Thanks. My 60's aren't true full range. I think paradigm refers to them as 2/1/2 way speakers but I can consider them full range because they can handle bass down to 30 Hz which is lower than many "full range speakers". In my current set up I have my two front speakers bi-amped using an Adcom GFA-555 (my AVR powers the highs and the Adcom powers the main drivers). I would likely do the same with my next AVR. I don't think the 3500 is on my list. I've been doing a lot of research on the X4500H but even that is less powerful than my current Pioneer Elite. When I get a day to shop around I'm going to try and demo some receivers in person before going any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks