What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
:lol: There's so much more stuff I'd buy if I could afford it, I swear!

Another little trick is I use an Amazon Visa for my primary credit card -- I flush everything I can through it. You can pay your mobile phone bill through it, and other things (obviously gas for the car, travel, meals, etc.). Those points on Amazon I can use to buy blu-rays (or books and games, my other two biggies).

But those points are even more fun to use with free Prime shipping.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I know Amazon is searching for "Must See TV" so they can truly push Amazon Prime as a Netflix-killer. Jack Ryan was a legit candidate for me, and the upcoming "Romanoffs" from Matthew Weiner is another Prime must. I would have signed up for Prime just to see The Romanoffs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I’m not sure that it feels like the same character that Baldwin and Ford played, but it doesn’t feel too far off from Pine. It held my attention and kept me interested in what was going to happen next and played as an above average pilot to me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anyone noticed that Tom Clancy is getting executive producer credit on this show? How does that happen?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I enjoyed this season even though I felt the last two episodes were very unoriginal. Great production and acting. The one B story though, I get where they were going but the execution was so out of place. The Drone guy.

My biggest nitpick is only Amazon related. I clicked on the banner for the series when I opened the app and the show started streaming. HDR didn't turn on and no Atmos. I had to do a search to find the Ultra HD version, which is inexplicably separate from the non-UHD version. I don't know why they do that. Once I found the UHD version, I was happy to discover the Amazon app on the Samsung UBD-K8500 has Atmos! I thought I'd be left out. The picture was a noticeable uptick better too due to the HDR I'm guessing.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The one B story though, I get where they were going but the execution was so out of place. The Drone guy.

Concur, it was lame. It seem like they shoe-horned it in to try and please the part of the audience that needs a little bit of "America is also the bad guy" to balance out Jack's unbridled heroism (with pure motives), and the sheer diabolical antics of the terrorists.

J

JayJay

A year late but we finished the first 8 episodes and enjoyed them. Not totally "must see TV" but still engaging. Will be watching season 2 soon.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched it over the past few nights. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it did a good job of doing for a Middle Eastern villain what the early Tom Clancy novels did for the Soviet villains: demystify them and understand them as people.

Too many changes from the literary character for me to watch it.
Obviously they've had to update some things since it's set now and Jack Ryan is early on in his career. But it's probably the closest to the book Jack Ryan of any of the live action portrayals. All of the key elements are there: spn of a Baltimore police officer; Irish Catholic family; economics degree from Boston College; his service in the Marines; the back injury from a helicopter incident; his time as a stockbroker; his history as an analyst before becoming involved in field work. One thing I appreciated about this version of Jack Ryan is that his brain is more important than his physicality.
The one B story though, I get where they were going but the execution was so out of place. The Drone guy.
The thing that I found weird about that subplot is that it resolved and then disappeared from the story. Other than saving Suleiman's wife with the unauthorized drone strike, his subplot never connected with the others in the first season. I was expecting a bigger payoff in the final episodes that never came.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally getting to this, and I'm so mad at myself for waiting this long. The show is terrific. Krasinski is very good in the role. Ryan isn't supposed to be some action hero, just a wonkish analyst who gets caught up in these things. (Clancy no doubt saw himself, as someone who worked behind a desk in insurance, in the part in some fashion.)

I don't really binge in the sense that people watch multiple episodes or an entire season in one night. Bingeing for me is watching one per night. I will finish this show this week, well in advance of season 2 on Nov. 1. BTW, I was very disappointed to learn that Abbie Cornish will not be in season 2.

Here is the trailer for season 2:

The scene with the SUV ambush reminds me of Clear and Present Danger, which is my favorite of the Ryan movie series.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Ryan was not a wonkish analyst, he was a Marine, who ended up an analyst due to injury. Not to say he was an action hero either, but he wasn't a hopeless cubical denizen out of his element in the real world.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched the first two episodes of Season 2. I might do another one before the day's out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll be busy with Halloween tonight and don't want to be interrupted, so I probably won't start watching season two until tomorrow anyway. But I'm glad folks can get it now if they want.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up for the 4K viewers out there: Prime Video again continues it perplexing practice of having a separate 4K HDR version. The only way I was able to find it was by bringing up the 4K version of the first season, and then selecting the second season from the "More Seasons" option.

I watched the first two episodes earlier. I'm wondering if there was behind the scenes drama between seasons. The first season finally seemed to set up Greer and Ryan in Russia, a la the Cold War era Clancy novels. It also set up Jack's growing relationship with Cathy.

But the season premiere quickly torpedoes all of that, with Greer out of Russia by the end of the season premiere and the plot centered around the failing state in Venezuela. And Jack is now single and sleeping around, with nary a mention of Cathy. Abbie Cornish has been dropped as a series regular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks