What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Also, the second season is in HDR rather than Dolby Vision. Watching episode two this afternoon, the Atmos came in loud and clear.

Yes, it does seem like there have been narrative and stylistic changes to the show. So far, there don't seem to be multiple subplots that are going to eventually dovetail into the same story. It seems like one grand adventure, and I have to say after only two episodes, I'm enjoying season two more than I did season one to this point.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also as it was in season one the Atmos track doesn’t appear on non 4K TVs.
Just the standard 5.1 track.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I watched episode 1 tonight.

It looked great, especially the nighttime scenes in Moscow.

Plot wise I liked it for the most part, but I didnt buy that Ryan

Would have had a one night stand in his hotel room and then fall asleep with all of his private info and intel exposed on the desk. And then not seem to be bothered when he wakes up the next morning and shes gone.

Felt a bit contrived and out of character. But aside from that im still intrigued and engaged.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Just finished season 2 (we watched over two nights).
Overall very enjoyable, though some of the situations are implausible. The cast are uniformly good and there is an enjoyable “twist in the tail”.
I recommend this second series as excellent escapism.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Just finished watching the second season. While the new season started off slow, these seasons just seem too short. I would rather they be 10 or 12 episodes in length. But, I think the shorter season runs do work best for this series. Just seems to be another very long break before a third season appears.

The problems I had with the second season is that it doesn't address his leadership of TFAD, that happened at the end of the first season, which I felt they should have used this second season digging into and the absence of Kate, his wife from the original novels. She seems to have been written out of the series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My biggest problem with this season was that the stakes just weren't high enough. I mean, obviously to Venezuela they were.

But from a U.S. standpoint, I can't imagine Jack Ryan ending up anywhere else but a prison cell after causing a major international incident over a hunch about something, and then proceeding to deploy military assets without DoD or presidential approval in a country we've just formally evacuated from.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
3 episodes in and so far its a letdown.

The first episode started with implications that Venezuela is a threat to the US. But so far all weve seen is internal friction amongst Venezuelas political class. Between Reyes and his general and between Reyes and Gloria. None of those characters have been interesting nor particularly sinister. Even Ryan himself is coming across as more bitter and arrogant than likeable. Greer is Greer, which is fine, but he isnt adding much, nor pushing Ryan like he did in the first series. Uber is about the only person Im mildly interested in.

And also the cinematography is off. Some shots, mostly the dark, night shots can look spectacular (like Moscow at night in ep 1). But in most other scenes there is not much resolution, contrast or extra color space. It doesnt pop like the first series did.

Its not so bad that Ill stop watching, and I hope it gets better. Maybe my expectations were set too high after such a fantastic first season.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
5 episodes in and im done.

The first episode starts with Ryan lecturing about how Venezuela is a major threat to the US. And there is intrigue about an unregistered satellite and Russian arms.

And yet after 5 episodes Ryan is in London seeking revenge for a murder. He doesnt even seem to be the lead on his own mission. There is no underlying threat propelling the plot along. The Greer/Gloria subplot is going nowhere. The mining mystery is moving at a snails pace, as is Ubers subplot. Even the action scenes are boring, i.e. the rooftop chase in ep 4. And each episode so far has gotten shorter and shorter. From 58 minutes down to 40 minutes.

It almost seems as if the show runners were surprised at how well the first season was received that they hastily wrote and threw together this season with little regard to what made the first season so successful. The writing, pacing, directing. Everything is just off this season.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It's Jim, I'm still having trouble with that. I still keep expecting him to look into the camera and roll his eyes.

I was talking to a friend and we were saying that we didn't have the same issue with Steve Carrell when he's in different projects. Different/better actor maybe?

And on ep 3 and the show doesn't feel put together well at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's Jim, I'm still having trouble with that. I still keep expecting him to look into the camera and roll his eyes.

I was talking to a friend and we were saying that we didn't have the same issue with Steve Carrell when he's in different projects. Different/better actor maybe?

And on ep 3 and the show doesn't feel put together well at all.
Did anybody have that same issue with him in "A Quiet Place" a film he not only starred in, but, directed which grossed over 340M on a budget of only 17M?

A_Quiet_Place_film_poster.png

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I did, I had the same issue with A Quiet Place as well. It was a decent film but I kept getting pulled out of it by his Jimness.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did, I had the same issue with A Quiet Place as well. It was a decent film but I kept getting pulled out of it by his Jimness.
Well, if that's the case then that's that for anything John Krasinski does in the future, at least, at it pertains to you.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Started episode 1 of season 2 last night. I enjoy this show, although it seemed out of character for Jack to sleep with a strange woman he met in a bar (and to leave sensitive documents laying around). The attack on the SUVs looked an awful lot like the scene in Clear and Present Danger (also set in a similar locale) and I was worried they were repeating themselves. And the fate of Jack's friend was clear from almost the very beginning of the episode.

Lastly, it's immensely frustrating that Amazon cuts away as soon as the credits begin, not even giving me a chance to watch them. I happen to like to see the credits.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finished up the second season today by watching the final 3 episodes in a row. Overall, it's not as good as the first season in my opinion. I was entertained, but, kind of disappointed too as I thought some sequences were just too much for me to accept.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks