What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Jony Ive will leave Apple later this year (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Apple has prepared for this. I remember a few years back it was first rumored he was leaving and then they made some changes to keep him. But that should have put them on notice that he could leave at any time, and hopefully they've taken steps to mitigate his impending departure.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Third: This may be good news. Ive is, to state the obvious, preternaturally talented. But in the post-Jobs era, with all of Apple design, hardware and software, under his control, we’ve seen the software design decline and the hardware go wonky. I don’t know the inside story, but it certainly seems like a good bet that MacBook keyboard fiasco we’re still in the midst of is the direct result of Jony Ive’s obsession with device thinness and minimalism. Today’s MacBooks are worse computers but more beautiful devices than the ones they replaced. Is that directly attributable to Jony Ive? With these keyboards in particular, I believe the answer is yes.”

https://daringfireball.net/2019/06/jony_ive_leaves_apple

Good essay with other interesting concerns.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jony Ive’s obsession with device thinness and minimalism

I think this right there is why Apple products haven’t had much appeal to me of late. The extra thinness hasn’t been worth what you lose to get it. In my book, anyway.

When they hit the right balance it’s great but when they don’t, it’s disappointing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But in the post-Jobs era, with all of Apple design, hardware and software, under his control, we’ve seen the software design decline and the hardware go wonky.
I would say a bigger cause is that the post-Jobs era has seen a significant percentage of the company's profits shift from R&D to stock buybacks. This strategy is short-term boon to shareholders, but it has longer-term costs.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Maybe this means we’ll get slightly thicker MacBook Pros with a quality keyboard and slightly thicker iPhones without that stupid camera bump.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My other favorite comment, that feels plausible, is that design is moved under ops because design has been making designs that can’t be built, and that’s being brought under control.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would say a bigger cause is that the post-Jobs era has seen a significant percentage of the company's profits shift from R&D to stock buybacks. This strategy is short-term boon to shareholders, but it has longer-term costs.
No. If that wasn’t put into buyback it would be put into dividends. That’s the money that’s going to stockholders one way or the other. It’s unlikely that given the enormity of their profits that is affecting R&D or product design per se.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
This an excellent 30 min discussion between Rene Ritchie & Gruber:

Gruber will be discussing it with Ben Thompson on The Talk Show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I don’t subscribe to Vector podcast, but download specific episodes of interest. Downloaded that one for later listening.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Winning.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m a Eurogamer. All games are scored by a complex calculus of gameplay. Simply being fastest is only a small part of the overall scoring. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks