What's new

Pre-Order King Kong (1976) (4k UHD Combo SteelBook) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hawaii to Indonesia is 6,260 miles, Skipper and Gilligan would have had to gotten really lost in that storm for that to happen.
Here's my pitch: The Professor is working on a teleportation device he built out of coconuts and palm fronds, in yet another attempt to escape the island, when it malfunctions and transports the castaways to Kong's Island. Hilarity ensues.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Given what happened to the Twin Towers in real life I am sure Paramount just decided to crop and zoom in the original image to hide the World Trade Center and the plane. They also reversed the image and changed the background. They could have commissioned a new poster, but probably due to cost, used what they had.

View attachment 210590

I felt so deceived as a kid when I saw the movie and realized Kong wasn't anywhere close to big enough to stand on both towers at the same time!

Is it too late to file a class action lawsuit? :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The hype surrounding this film before its release in ‘76 was astounding. It was everywhere. Especially if you lived in the NYC area like I did. As a 13 year old I couldn’t wait to see it. And I wasn’t disappointed.

It’s been much maligned (unfairly imo) but I think time has been kind to this film and its reputation.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Yeesh! This would have been an improvement:

s-l1600.jpg

Also, why not show the WTC on the cover? Without the hint, I'm only gonna become ultra-offended when I get the to the actual scene in the movie!

Robert Saccone

Premium
The hype surrounding this film before its release in ‘76 was astounding. It was everywhere. Especially if you lived in the NYC area like I did. As a 13 year old I couldn’t wait to see it. And I wasn’t disappointed.

It’s been much maligned (unfairly imo) but I think time has been kind to this film and its reputation.
Yep I was living in Manhattan at the time and I couldn't wait to see this. I remember going to a revival of the original King Kong not too long before this came out. My dad is somewhere in the crowd at the end.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Given what happened to the Twin Towers in real life I am sure Paramount just decided to crop and zoom in the original image to hide the World Trade Center and the plane. They also reversed the image and changed the background. They could have commissioned a new poster, but probably due to cost, used what they had.

View attachment 210590
There's more production art at their disposal than just the theatrical poster if they didn't want to include the WTC. No need to commission anything new. But even if the poster WAS their only source of material, practically anything would have been better than the cover Ron posted. It's an absolute hack job.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
There's more production art at their disposal than just the theatrical poster if they didn't want to include the WTC. No need to commission anything new. But even if the poster WAS their only source of material, practically anything would have been better than the cover Ron posted. It's an absolute hack job.
Here's the art work for the various release over the years

Laserdisc

1705974565305.png

Japan's version

1705974597739.png

VHS

1705974495168.png

DVD 1999 and 2005

1705974160070.png

1705974408698.png

Shout Factory Blu-ray 2021

1705974733698.png

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hawaii to Indonesia is 6,260 miles, Skipper and Gilligan would have had to gotten really lost in that storm for that to happen.
Baby Yoda ... baby Kong ...
1705982869942.png
Why not ;) After all Lovey Howell had three suitcases full of future-fashionable clothes for Everybody to together "A THREE HOUR TOUR ..."A THREE HOUR TOUR ...":D...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I got used to the towers being in the poster so I am just a little disappointed that they where cut out of the artwork for the new release.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will most likely buy this release as I do not yet have this in my library. Unless we find out that the transfer is bad but as long as it is good I will most likely buy it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
While Kong is sure to be considerably heavy, his weight is not likely to be a significant enough burden on the tower than the tower's own weight already is. I wouldn't think it would be a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation.

But bottom line, it's a film about an impossibly large gorilla, so the question of how the tower can handle Kong's weight is meaningless. As the saying goes, "Because aside from that, everything in the movie is completely realistic..."

Who the heck cares? Lol. That member's comments apparently riled you up for some bizarre reason - I'm sure he's just making conversation. Let it go.

It feels like I've purchased this on physical media a dozen times in the past 2 years. I currently have the StudioCanal release so I'm good. Gotta say I really enjoyed revisiting the film. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid on broadcast TV. I want to sit and experience the 3 hour cut without interruptions one Saturday afternoon.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Other than its score, I have always found it awful, on every conceivable level. Probably the most disappointed I ever was in a film. All these years after the great original, and we get a man in a monkey suit?! I did extra work on the film, and that was pretty awful, as well. I couldn't have been more excited to see it, when it was released, and all of us who went that evening just hated it. Still, I actually purchased the Blu-ray and re-watched it, not that long ago. It's still fairly awful, but time has lessened the disappointment. Jessica Lange remains horrendous in it, imo. I won't be purchasing a 4K.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I was a few years younger than you in 1976 and massively excited to see the movie.

My reaction? I don't really remember.

I think I liked it but didn't love it like I'd hoped.

But I did have merch: lunchbox, notebooks. I think I liked the idea of the movie and the character more than the movie itself.

Haven't seen the 1976 "Kong" since the 2005 reissue DVD.

Thought it was watchable but mediocre at best.

Will likely get this new release and reassess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks