What's new

Pre-Order King Kong (1976) (4k UHD Combo SteelBook) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
422174302_2862904827192253_2650520931211780514_n.jpg

Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread or not but I just discovered this will include the TV cut which might push some to purchase this disc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I always loved the original poster art. My older sister took me to see this at our local "dollar" show when I was five. I can still vaguely recall those Kong images on the big screen which were impressive at that time and my age. For the Studio Canal 4K overseas release, it was color graded by the dreaded L'Immagine Ritrovata. This company, in my opinion, has no business color grading anything with their teal/yellow perversion of practically every classic film. I hope Paramount has their own color grade for the U.S. release.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For the Studio Canal 4K overseas release, it was color graded by the dreaded L'Immagine Ritrovata. This company, in my opinion, has no business color grading anything with their teal/yellow perversion of practically every classic film. I hope Paramount has their own color grade for the U.S. release.
I’d imagine the Paramount disc will look the same as the 4K digital version, which looks great to me. The colours look natural - no teal or yellow tint - and there’s no excessive DNR.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
I always loved the original poster art.
When the movie was first announced they gave away posters and my brother brought home a copy. It was an EVENT MOVIE! I loved the poster so much I framed it and hung it up in my bedroom. I then went to the World Trade Center to watch them film the closing scenes. When it came out the picture itself was such a disappointment that I replaced my framed copy with one from The Day of the Locust.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
When the movie was first announced they gave away posters and my brother brought home a copy. It was an EVENT MOVIE! I loved the poster so much I framed it and hung it up in my bedroom. I then went to the World Trade Center to watch them film the closing scenes. When it came out the picture itself was such a disappointment that I replaced my framed copy with one from The Day of the Locust.
I got illustrated drink cups

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
He's stands on top of one of the towers, a 55ft, a thousand something-odd pound Gorilla against a skyscraper, how did it not collapse from his weight?

View attachment 210556

just because I kind of work with these things on a daily basis.....

1712719021947.png

not exactly light machines, and stress caused by lifting and movement, is dristributed, the kangaroo cranes used were from my reserch; rated at about 50 tons, so 100,000 lbs, which means it would have to have enough counterweight to make the lift. Don"t think Kong would have bee an issue, LOL.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I first saw this on TV. Was terrified when Lange first encounters Kong. Recall the rest of it being somewhat uneventful until the finale.

In the original poster art, what is Kong clutching in his right hand? I would guess an aircraft, but it looks totally different from the jet fighter flying past.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This was the first "big event" movie of my childhood. I had the trading cards, the Ideal game etc. And today I think the movie holds up much better than Jackson's. The authentic location cinematography of Hawaii and New York, a willingness to do a fresh take on the story while remaining respectful (as opposed to Jackson's "Hey watch me redo the original, bigger and better!"), John Barry's score. Yes, it has its flaws and I certainly don't rate it better than the 1933 original but it stands alone on its own merits.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I got illustrated drink cups
I had the poster as well. At the time, my only disappointments were 1) they didn’t use animation 2) there was only the snake and no dinosaurs. Dino did want to hire David Allen for doing some stop motion animation for dinosaurs but Allen signed with the Universal film (which got cancelled). Because Kong was going to be a man in a suit (and 15 seconds of an underperforming animatronic), Allen wasn’t interested either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks