What's new

Mystery & Crime Non-Series 30's-50's (1 Viewer)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Film Commentary
99 River Street (MGM 1953)

upload_2019-4-9_13-31-32.jpeg

I took up Robert Crawford's suggestion to watch this flick on TCM's Noir Alley series. Host Eddie Muller, the kingpin of all things noirish, had a bucketful of fascinating tidbits about the film and its production, so I won't bother parroting any of his narrative and confine myself to my own observations below.

There's a damn good fight sequence for the opening scene, as Eddie Driscoll (John Payne) watches a replay of his championship bout on TV--which he unfortunately lost. It's Eddie's year of discontent, as his wife Pauline (Peggy Castle) considers him a complete wastrel who's now reduced to driving a cab for his existence. Eddie wants to have kids, but Pauline, who wears dresses like second skins, would just as soon see him drop down the nearest sewer drain much less screw up her magnificent figure by becoming preggers. Besides, she's been enthusiastically diddling with Victor Rawlins (Brad Dexter), a diamond thief who makes snail slime look attractive in comparison.

upload_2019-4-9_13-44-46.jpeg
images
images

Peggy Castle doing a Mrs. Robinson, John Payne and Evelyn Keyes, Brad Dexter explaining how not to perform the Heimlich

Enter aspiring actress Linda (Evelyn Keyes)--a good friend of Eddie's, who's no slouch in the looks department either. She suggests that Eddie should take Pauline a nice box of candy to smooth over the relationship. Bad advice, as Eddie catches his wife and Victor sucking face in a flower shop. From here on out, good-natured Eddie develops the disposition of a constipated badger--taking his frustrations out on friends, relatives and any stray dogs within kicking distance. To add insult to injury, Linda pulls a harmless trick on him to prove her chops as an actress--which sends him screaming bonkers, beating the crap out of everyone withing swinging distance. Like I said, the boy has the humor of a bluebottle wasp.

So, to add in the noirish aspect to the movie, wife Pauline gets sideways with Victor, the results have him sending her choking over the rainbow then unceremoniously dumping her body in the backseat of Eddie's cab. Linda, who has apologized profusely to Eddie for her thoughtless trick, finds Pauline's body along with Eddie and offers to help him chase down the killer. Per Eddie: "All dames are alike--soft fur and perfume, telling me what a big man I am...and then they kick in my head..." Eddie's not exactly riding high with Lady Luck.
But true Linda sticks to him like library paste. It's a race for them to find Victor before he flees the city. The cops are after Eddie like the flaming hounds of hell, and disgruntled colleagues are also after Victor. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad dash through the backlot of MGM.
(As an aside--ever notice that studio backlots always seem to have wet streets? Even after Albert Hammond told us It Never Rains in Southern California...)

Linda finds Victor hanging in a sleazy bar waiting to pick up a forged passport. In order to stall his escape, she peels off her coat to reveal the girls to distract him, It sure as hell distracted me. Back in those days, women's cantilevered bras looked to be designed by NASA nosecone engineers. She presses up to Victor like a dog's nose to a deli window, and he falls for it. Who wouldn't? Eddie catches up to the pair and a breathless chase continues down River Street, culminating in Victor's capture.
Scroll to a year later--Eddie and Linda are married and partners in a thriving gas station. Linda definitely wants kids.
Finally, the world is Eddie's to joggle.

Both John Payne, playing against type, and Evelyn Keyes give outstanding performances in this flick. The music score is appropriately apprehensive where needed, adding substantial fuel to the suspense. An enjoyable watch, indeed.

Randoms:
Gene Reynolds has a tiny part in the film. Mostly known for playing somewhat adolescent roles in movies, Gene eventually moved on to a highly prolific career of writing, producing and directing--most notably Mash and Lou Grant--for which he he was nominated for 24 Emmys and won 6.

upload_2019-4-9_14-26-45.jpeg

Amazingly, Gene is still with us at the ripe age of 96.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eddie Muller did a full commentary on Kino's Blu-ray release of this film that is excellent and humorous at the same time. Based on his comments, he stated that Evelyn Keyes thought she would've been a bigger star if she had larger breasts.:) Apparently, she was one uninhibited woman so I'm sure she led an exciting life.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Eddie Muller did a full commentary on Kino's Blu-ray release of this film that is excellent and humorous at the same time. Based on his comments, he stated that Evelyn Keyes thought she would've been a bigger star if she had larger breasts.:) Apparently, she was one uninhibited woman so I'm sure she led an exciting life.
I'm going to put forth that maybe Evelyn shortchanged herself.

upload_2019-4-9_19-18-41.jpeg
images
images

Just sayin'...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched (for the first time ever) tonight Footsteps in the Dark with Errol Flynn in a lighter role as a married sophisticate leading a double life as a mystery novelist. Flynn himself is the best thing in the film (couldn't stand his wife or mother-in-law as characters though Lucile Watson is one of my favorite grande dames of the era). But the mystery he finds himself in the middle of is rather pitiful with a genuine lack of suspects and an obvious killer. And because they're attempting to keep the tone nice and breezy, the investigation seems to dawdle rather badly. But I loved the running battle with Flynn against inept detective William Frawley. With a tighter narrative, this could have been a lot of fun instead of just a little bit of fun.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Eddie Muller did a full commentary on Kino's Blu-ray release of this film that is excellent and humorous at the same time.
I would like to read Mr. Muller's review, 'cause my commentary stirred up about as much interest as bagel mold. But no matter, I thought the flick was pretty damn nifty--a fun watching experience.

I'm just now getting into noir films, they create a certain atmosphere that's so unique.

upload_2019-4-14_18-29-20.jpeg

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Film Commentary
Scandal Sheet (Columbia 1952)

This little opus endeavors to expose the sketchy underbelly of tabloid news, reputedly as dark as the inside of a cow.

While growing up, watching TV on a Sunday afternoon, a movie came on and I remember a scene from it that I've wondered off and on what movie it came from.

My recollection was that it was in the beginning of the film and a car drives off a bridge and is sinking into the water. A nearby reporter runs over and starts taking photos, trying to get the victim who's trying to escape from drowning to pose for him for a better picture as he's trying to get out.

Would this, by any chance, be that film?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
While growing up, watching TV on a Sunday afternoon, a movie came on and I remember a scene from it that I've wondered off and on what movie it came from.

My recollection was that it was in the beginning of the film and a car drives off a bridge and is sinking into the water. A nearby reporter runs over and starts taking photos, trying to get the victim who's trying to escape from drowning to pose for him for a better picture as he's trying to get out.

Yep. And that very scene was lifted to use at the beginning of 77 Sunset Strip's The Pasadena Caper.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't forget TCM's Noir Alley's showing of "Woman on the Run" (1950) starring Ann Sheridan and Dennis O'Keefe.

51mvHeuU45L._SX342_.jpg

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Film Commentary
Niagra (Fox,1953)

images

Rose (Marilyn Monroe) and George Loomis (Joseph Cotten) check into the Rainbow Motel, with "modern housekeeping cabins", endless pinewood paneling and quilt-type furniture. Can you spell r-u-s-t-i-c? Located on the edge of Niagara Falls, the motel's main claim for vacation destination is its visual proximity to the landmark. George is recuperating from a stint in the psycho ward of an Army hospital and could well be the poster boy for bi-polar disorder. We first get a glimpse of wife Rose lying naked in bed, smoking hot and thinking about anything other than husband George. This scene foretells the entirety of their relationship and the basis for the movie's plot.

Enter Polly (Jean Peters) and Ray Cutler (Max Showalter), also checking into the motel on their "delayed" honeymoon. Ray, who's never had a pregnant thought in his life, has just won his company's first prize for "most creative sales campaign". They briefly run into Rose, who claims to be going "out" for groceries. Polly and Ray immediately delve deeply into the rich touristy attractions of the area--"Maid of the Mist", Horseshoe Tunnel excursion, and visiting at least 3,245 souvenir shops within 20 square feet of the Falls. At some point, Polly spots Rose with her tongue deep into the tonsils of some young guy--obviously not her hubby--nor does it resemble grocery shopping of any kind to which Polly can relate. Meanwhile, George is spending quality time back in the motel room futzing with a model of a 1907 Maxwell car. Later that evening Rose is excited to join a group of young folks jitterbugging to a record player in the motel courtyard. She's unabashedly wearing a dress designed to send the young males to their showers for extended periods of time.

upload_2019-4-25_9-8-17.jpeg
images
images

Rose showing the boys what dreams are made of, Polly and Ray watching her, Rose and George in a less-than-romantic moment

George suddenly emerges from the cabin and violently smashes the record player to bits. "Your husband doesn't seem to like music", Ray observes wryly to Rose. George later explains to Ray and Polly that he once had a sheep ranch, but Rose got bored hanging with the ewes and the farm eventually failed. He confesses he loves and hates her at the same time. The next morning, after spurning George from his clumsy romantic advances, she marches off to meet her sleek boyfriend to plot George's murder. Rose's eyes are shining with unrestrained lust at the idea of a horizontal union with the young man. But sly George has followed her, finds the boyfriend while alone and offs him before he has a chance to execute his murderous attempt on George.
The body is found at the foot of the falls, and cops assume it's George. Rose is asked to identify the corpse but faints dead away when finding it's her tonsil-tickling boyfriend.

George has gone missing and is still presumed dead since Rose was hospitalized before positively identifying the body. Out and about by herself, Polly runs into him in disguise during a tour of the Falls. No one believes that she actually saw George, writing it off to a bad dream. Rose escapes the hospital and heads for the bus stop (how prophetic) to get the hell out of Dodge. Hubby George chases her to the local church bell tower and unceremoniously strangles her without even a howdy-do. The ending is a highly phantasmagoric scenario with a stolen boat on the river with George and stowaway Polly aboard, precariously about to go over the Falls. One of them lives, the other doesn't.

Filmed in glorious technicolor in and around Niagara, director Henry Hathaway tries to imitate the suspense factor ala Alfred Hitchcock, but without the muster of the master. Hathaway does, however, make full use of Marilyn's unmistakable sex appeal. She is at her eyelash batting, wet lipsticky best--thus shaping the mold for her roles over the entire remainder of her career.

Randoms:
No slouch in the sex appeal department herself, Jean Peters most assuredly held herself quite well as second fiddle to Marilyn in the film. In fact, 20th Century Fox was more than determined to turn her into a sex symbol of Monroe's caliber, which Jean viciously fought against to the point of earning several suspensions from the studio for "difficult" behavior. More comfortable in her small town tomboy skin, she nonetheless eventually acquiesced to some roles of a more lascivious nature, such as Pickup on South Street.

images
images
images

In 1954, Jean married Texas oilman Stuart Cramer--a union lasting about 7 minutes before moving on to the slightly more famous Howard Hughes. It was shortly after this marriage that Hughes slid into his neurotically reclusive identity. Paying no mind, Peters frequently involved herself in numerous activities such as charitable work, arts and crafts, and university studies including psychology and anthropology at UCLA, living almost entirely in anonymity until their divorce in 1971.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Film Commentary
Niagra (Fox,1953)

Great review (and related cheesecake photos) of this very good thriller, Russ! I really like the use of Niagara Falls locations used in the film, Marilyn is at her wanton, bad girl best, and Jean Peters is stunningly beautiful and acts as a fresh-faced, innocent counterbalance to Marilyn's trashy femme fatale. I do think the guy playing Ms. Peters dweeb of a hubby (Max Showalter) is a bit of a drip...he obviously does NOT know how to best take advantage of his honeymoon with his adorable new bride. I suppose casting someone more manly and worthy of her, such as Rory Calhoun, would have shifted the focus away from Peters...but surely they could have done better. No surprise that Joseph Cotton takes the acting honors here, and manages to remain sympathetic throughout. It also helps that the film is a lean, fast-moving 92 minutes.

Yes, Ms. Peters was most assuredly no slouch in the good looks department...

jean-peters-niagara-1953-EFB6RJ.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Film Commentary
Scandal Sheet (Columbia 1952)

Yep. And that very scene was lifted to use at the beginning of 77 Sunset Strip's The Pasadena Caper.

Wow! I'm amazed! Thanks Russ! Mystery solved. I just put it in my NetFlix cue to watch.

Well, now I have a new mystery. I watched Scandal Sheet last night and the scene I described was NOT in that film.

? ? ?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Well, now I have a new mystery. I watched Scandal Sheet last night and the scene I described was NOT in that film.

? ? ?
My apologies, Martin. I guess I got it mixed up with another mystery that I reviewed. I screw up sometimes-- especially when trying to remember what I saw when. I'll try to be more careful.
I hope you enjoyed the movie anyway.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
My apologies, Martin. I guess I got it mixed up with another mystery that I reviewed. I screw up sometimes-- especially when trying to remember what I saw when. I'll try to be more careful.
I hope you enjoyed the movie anyway.

Yes. Several minutes into it I remembered having seen it before and it came back to me.

Now I still need to find out what that other film might be, though!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I caught a small part of the Hitch-Hiker (1953), a film noir directed by Ida Lupino. I wish I would have seen more of it. Staring Edmond O'Brien, William Talman and Frank Lovejoy---Talman certainly played a non- Hamilton Burger type that was jarring to say the least.

images

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chpsen
Recent bookmarks