What's new

The Prestigious Sight & Sound Poll (2022) The 100 Greatest Films Of All Time (2 Viewers)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I watched JD after seeing the poll. It is a mystery how so many voted for it to enable it to poll so high and although I have seen many (often obscure) foreign films, it didn't do anything for me. However, it might be considered ahead of its time as you can now watch many people doing ordinary things in real time on YouTube. The internet has facilitated this type of 'slow cinema' where nothing much happens. A few years ago the BBC ran a series of films with no narration, there was a tour of the National Gallery (London), a canal boat, and my favourite, following a reindeer sleigh in Norway. Very relaxing!
The film is infinitely more complex and nuanced than how you are describing it. You're entitled to your opinion of course but its a little dismissive.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film is infinitely more complex and nuanced than how you are describing it. You're entitled to your opinion of course but its a little dismissive.
Obviously, the film didn't work for him so being dismissive is kind of expected.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
One may be forgiven for wondering if the poll's creator's aren't a bit disappointed that the top choice didn't generate more controversy than they might have anticipated and perhaps desired.

The film is a glaringly obvious pick for inclusion, and as I've said many times, a masterpiece and among the few dozen greatest films ever made.

But the cynical ignorance of the poll's participants reveals itself not merely by their choice for top flick - Akerman a famously brilliant & tragic feminist martyr - but much more so by their failure to recognize the extraordinary cinematic achievements of other women, both living and dead.

Not only did equally deserving films fail to take that top spot clearly/cynically reserved for a female helmer, but these films are not only absent in the top few dozen flicks cited, but on the entire list of one hundred.

Polley's absence is probably the least shocking exclusion, though an utter disgrace.

Mindless pandering via this top pick (and a few other token flavors of the moment) seemed to be the goal rather than genuine recognition throughout the list of truly exceptional achievement, and this manifests itself in the absence of many brilliant films directed by men as well.

So the real controversy being missed, most especially by any pseudo-feminist Jacobin donning white armor to defend poor *helpless* Akerman, is that JD23's top spot serves far more as cover for the list's glaring deficiencies in honoring female filmmakers than to exemplify such honor.

Ultimately, the list renders itself silly as well as grossly dismissive by these cynical and ignorant failures.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
JD is a 'kitchen sink' drama, so many of which were produced in Britain during the 1950s and early 60s, I tired of them years ago.
I think KSDs are much more highly stylized, almost to a surreal extent, while JD23 has just that one hyper-surreal moment amidst its documentary-like unfolding.

But it might be said that Moby Dick and Finding Nemo are just stories about tying to locate aquatic creatures, though the argument could be made that one story has a bit more gravitas than the other.

I'm not saying which mind you! :)

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I've seen at least half of these and none are real favorites with the exception for Metropolis and L'Atlante. But, hell, I'm not a "critic". The day I really got to appreciate the career of Marion Davies was the last day I really liked Citizen Kane.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Casablanca #63?? No Jaws??

‘Nuff said!
No Jaws ??

It’s such a seamless work.

It appears effortless.

It stands the test of time.

It’s endlessly re-watchable, even after knowing the outcome; therefore not being solely reliable on just the suspense alone.

It is timeless; short of the cars and some costumes..

It remains fresh and still has immediacy.

One of the greatest, most iconic film scores in cinema.

Editing is perfect.

The acting is never dated.

And, IMHO and some 48 years later, its still not safe to go into the water..

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No Jaws ??

It appears effortless.

It’s endlessly re-watchable, even after knowing the outcome; therefore not being solely reliable on just the suspense alone.

Short of the cars or costumes, it is timeless.

One of the greatest most iconic film scores in cinema.

Editing is perfect.

And, IMHO, it’s still not safe to go into the water..
Jaws?? Never heard of it. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Casablanca is one of the most entertaining movie-movies of all time. But the Sight & Sound list is geared to "artistic" films. I love Casablanca but I couldn't in all conscience call it an artistic movie any more than I could call Jaws an art film (and I love Jaws). Personally, I would place E.T. and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind before Jaws on any best list.

But let's face it, there will never ever be a best or greatest list that everyone agrees on. There will always be a "Where's Fill In The Blank?" or "How could they leave off ABC?"
A great aspect of these Top 100 lists is that there are always titles to be cited of films I’ve not known or seen. Great stuff to be humbled and then directed towards a new work or path.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A great aspect of these Top 100 lists is that there are always titles to be cited of films I’ve not known or seen. Great stuff to be humbled and then directed towards a new work or path.
If one discovers a new gem of a film buried in these lists they are absolutely worth it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I don't particularly care for this listing, but I have seen 58 of them. What is the definition of an "artistic" film?
[To be read with an air of lightness]

An “Artistic” film is - in some instances - a work of quality and overt intelligence that the general populace has not heard of or even plans to see. Of those who have actually seen a specific work, “artistic” then becomes further qualified as a film that not everyone will always agree upon.

Thereafter - where much thought was given, pondered and evaluated - we grab a bowl of snacks, crack open a beer, and pop in either Rocky, Jaws, Top Gun, True Grit, The Shawshank Redemption or a marathon of some 3 Stooges shorts; all of which are also placed on a yet to be written Top 100 list.

NOTE: I have seen 42 films from the Sight & Sound list, and have enjoyed them all. Additionally, I have 17 more still stacked and sealed for some winter of 2024 viewing.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
No Jaws ??

It appears effortless.

It is timeless; short of the cars and some costumes..

One of the greatest, most iconic film scores in cinema.

Editing is perfect.

And, IMHO and some 48 years later, its still not safe to go into the water..
It's not bad for a sequel.

Prefer The Man With The Golden Gun myself.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone been in a conversation where the shark is referred to as Jaws? ;)

Oh, a pet peeve of mine (and it may just be me), but it irks me when Jaws is referred to as Jaws 1 (to distinguish it from its sequels). Call it the original, or the first Jaws, but the title has never been, and never will be, Jaws 1.

OK, peeve rant mode: off. ;)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
We've entered the era of "throw together a list". Having said that it's time I saw Beau Travail.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks