What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Peacock Quantum Leap (2022) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ernie Hudson's onboard.

This all sounds good, but affter being burned by NuTrek, I must remain cautious in my optimism.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is the rare time travel show that can have a diverse lead without getting overly bogged down in the racism and sexism of the past, since the Leaper can trade places with people of both genders and any ethnicity, and is perceived by everyone else as that person.

The synopsis is interesting:
It’s been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.​
Lee plays the lead, Dr. Ben Seong, a world-renowned physicist working on a time-travel project known as Quantum Leap who gets stuck in the late 1980s with amnesia after using the technology.​

In the original show, Sam stepped into the accelerator in then near-future year of 1999, which in turn would put this show in the near future year of 2029. But I'm wondering if they'll fudge the timeline a bit, and move the date Sam disappeared to the early nineties, closer to when the original pilot aired.

Ernie Hudson's onboard.
And his character is the Navy SEAL Sam leapt into in the third season episode "The Leap Home, Part II (Vietnam)", who served with Sam's brother in Vietnam.

EDIT: The first sentence somehow got cut off when I originally posted it.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is the rare time travel show that can have a diverse lead without getting overly bogged down in the racism and sexism of the past, since the Leaper can

The synopsis is interesting:
It’s been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.​
Lee plays the lead, Dr. Ben Seong, a world-renowned physicist working on a time-travel project known as Quantum Leap who gets stuck in the late 1980s with amnesia after using the technology.​

In the original show, Sam stepped into the accelerator in then near-future year of 1999, which in turn would put this show in the near future year of 2029. But I'm wondering if they'll fudge the timeline a bit, and move the date Sam disappeared to the early nineties, closer to when the original pilot aired.

And his character is the Navy SEAL Sam leapt into in the third season episode "The Leap Home, Part II (Vietnam)", who served with Sam's brother in Vietnam.
Actually, Sam stepped into the accelerator in 1995.

In season 2, QL accurately predicted the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX in 1996.

And, by season 5's Killing Time, we were finally up to 1999.

So 30 years is probably a "close enough for a synopsis" thing.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Looks like fun.

Am hoping for a Scott Bakula cameo but based on the trailer that doesn't seem likely unless the show entertains some sort of multiverse concept.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
That's extremely disappointing news. I will catch the show and give it a try but this took a lot of wind out of the sail.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Adam for posting Scott Bakula’s instagram message. I did not know about this re-boot until seeing this thread this morning, There is something in the script he saw that he must not have been able to accept or work out. I can respect that. That’s too bad too. Maybe there’s a chance he will return to Captain Archer in another Star Trek series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is something in the script he saw that he must not have been able to accept or work out. I can respect that. That’s too bad too.
It could be that they couldn't make the money work. It could be that the role for Sam Beckett was too small or too large. It could be that he didn't like the way that the character is used.

It's definitely possible that he thought the script stunk, and he's just too polite to say it publicly, but there are also any number of non-creative reasons why it didn't work out.

The showrunners have said the door is always open, so if the new show succeeds, maybe they can come to terms with him down the road on a way to bring him back, even just for the occasional special appearance.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the pilot, and I liked it enough to keep tuning in. The core conceit -- "leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home…” -- is still a potent one.

Having the new leaper's hologram be his fiance is a way to switch up the dynamic while keeping the stakes between leaper and hologram really personal.

This is very much a continuation rather than a straight reboot. Sam Beckett is mentioned in the opening text, and we see a hologram of him later on in the episode. Ziggy is still the computer calculating the probabilities of what will trigger the next jump.

The central mystery of why the new leaper broke into the facility and leapt before the technology was ready ties into the project's history with not only Sam but Al Calavicci, who -- like Dean Stockwell -- passed away a year ago. It was nice to see the premiere dedicated to Stockwell's memory. He was a huge part of the original show's success.

The opening text also confirmed that Sam Beckett went into the accelerator in 1995, which was the near future when the original show premiered but is now over a quarter of a century in the past.

The one major change in this episode is that the person being leapt into doesn't appear to show up in the Waiting Room. Instead of physically swapping places with the person in the past, they seem to be going with more of a mental leap. But perhaps the person he leapt into did show up in 2022, and because the Waiting Room isn't up and running they're just wandering the streets outside, unsure of what the hell is going on.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't think the new leading man was a very emotive actor. Later scenes were better, but for the first half hour, I was convinced he was one of the weaker actors on network TV. I did like the (so far unnamed to him) connection between the leaper and his hologram. I'll watch another couple of episodes before deciding if I want to stay with it until the end of the season.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Sam was married in the original series only didn't remember. He had a few flings on that first series. That would be very different this time around. I do like that they've left it open for Sam to still return. If this thing gets going, I could see Scott Bakula revisiting his decision not to be part of it.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
My gut feeling after seeing the pilot is that part of the objective of Al's daughter is to bring Sam home.

And even though Scott Bakula says he is not involved, if that is a goal of the series and they narratively pull that off, I'm sure he would appear. He sure would not be letting that information out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks