What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Saludos Amigos & Three Caballeros release on Blu Ray through DisneyMovie Club (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If you cut all the good parts of Make Mine Music and Melody Time together and threw out the bad ones, you would have a single excellent comp feature. But that's true of Saludos Amigos and Three Caballeros too.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've only ever seen the truncated version of Make Mine Music and The Martins and the Coys segment separately [on YouTube]. I love what's there in MMM, but would love to see The Martins and the Coys returned to its proper context.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I remember watching that on The Disney Channel in 1989 around the time my sister had been born, and IIRC it was uncut. I can't remember taping it because if I did, then I must have taped over it. I figured if it was on TDC it would be available for sale eventually; Cinderella aired there that same year. Little did I know about the revisionism to come.

In the twilight of the "What Would Walt Do" era, Mel Shaw and Wolfgang Reitherman proposed Musicana, which would have been basically a world music-based package film. That's something I still think could work, but about 20 years later they did a Fantasia sequel instead. But WDAS today could make it something really special if they really put their minds to it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I can confirm all the smoking scenes are intact in this release. It looks good -- however, it seems that it has been so digitally scrubbed that every ounce of grain is gone. It has been so overly digitally cleaned that it almost looks a bit smeary. I know Disney is known for this but it is very apparent during the live-action sequences.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm all the smoking scenes are intact in this release. It looks good -- however, it seems that it has been so digitally scrubbed that every ounce of grain is gone. It has been so overly digitally cleaned that it almost looks a bit smeary. I know Disney is known for this but it is very apparent during the live-action sequences.

You want to see terrifying "HD" versions of classic Disney animation? Check out the collections of shorts that are on Netflix right now. They look like upscales, for the most part, and have had so much DNR done to them that they look like early DVD animated discs where outlines have been erased all over the place. It's such a shame, because those classic shorts were beautifully drawn.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
You want to see terrifying "HD" versions of classic Disney animation? Check out the collections of shorts that are on Netflix right now. They look like upscales, for the most part, and have had so much DNR done to them that they look like early DVD animated discs where outlines have been erased all over the place. It's such a shame, because those classic shorts were beautifully drawn.

Ironically, the majority of Walt Disney Treasures releases didn't look that bad, even the even-numbered Donald Duck volumes that used older masters. I still go back to that any time I want to watch Mickey's Christmas Carol. It still looks better than that smear-storation on Blu-ray, and it still has that wonderful making-of documentary that shows what Disney was like the last full year Walt's family was in charge.

Does this actually look good to them, or is this just to tide us over until real restorations of the Walt-era shorts come out?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I love the Disney Movie Club... I didn't love getting cheesy, crappy films like McFarland that I didn't order. I wish I was still a member so I could get Saludos Amigos.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
For anyone interested, unfortunately there is an audio error in The Three Caballeros Bluray as I hear.
I have the HD digital file and they say it's the same in the bluray. I assume this was created from the conversion of the original audio to 5.1.

The music and words are stuck in a spot near the end, where the choral line should be, "we're always together, so let come what may..."
Here's how it is in the errored version with the words and music stuck on "leeeeeeeeet"! (at 1.05'')

And here' s how it should be, with the music advancing and ending the phrase at "maaaaaaaaay" (at 1.11''):

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I'd still hold onto it if you appreciated all of the great extras on the set. The new Blu-ray has no extras. I'll be keeping my laserdisc set if only for the 16mm documentary on the Disney team's trip to South America by plane.

Lots of the 16mm color footage from that trip is in the 2008 documentary "Walt and El Grupo." The DVD is still in print and listed on Amazon.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've been wanting these in my collection for a long time, but was holding off for a BD release. However, I don't want to join the movie club, so I bought one from a third party seller. Looking forward to seeing these. I have most of the Walt Disney Treasures tins, so I've seen El Gaucho Goofy and clips from other segments. Even with the scrubbed transfers, I'm glad these were made available at all. I wonder if the "restored" opening was only allowed on disc because of the limited way in which the discs are being sold.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A couple weeks earlier than expected, but it appears DMC has moved Saludos to enrollment eligible -- for those people who were holding out on an enrollment until this item was available for the first 5-7 item package.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Saludos Amigos on Blu-ray this afternoon. Despite the digital wiping, I am glad to have it and its companion movie (which I've saved for tomorrow) on Blu-ray. "Pedro" isn't one of my favorite featurettes, but the other segments are all so much fun.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finished the Blu-ray disc this afternoon with The Three Caballeros. I guess I hadn't watched this one in a long, long time, but I found the last quarter hour fairly tedious even with all of the imaginative melding of live action and animation. They seem to have run out of story and just had Donald goggle-eyed over every beautiful Latina he laid his peepers on. Certainly some interesting animated effects and brilliant color, but despite the creative surreal aspects to the movie, I actually found myself preferring Saludos Amigos.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching Saludos Amigos now for maybe the first time ever. Aside from Donald, Goofy, etc. it doesn't really look familiar. And wow, compared to the stunning animation of Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi, this is fairly simple stuff by Disney standards. Nicely done, but clearly on a budget compared to those lavish productions. But of course those lavish productions pushed Disney to the financial edge, which meant pulling back to something more affordable. Did the Dept. of Defense pitch in for this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks