The end of iPhone X? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave is correct.

I expect the new phones to be revealed the beginning of September and on sale a week or two later.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think the X name will be retired, my personal theory is it might have just been for the 10th anniversary of iPhone to mark a special occasion, with the release of a "how awesome a phone can we make right now" version.

But technology marches on and what was top of the line last year is average this year. As Home Theater aficionados, we see this in our hobby every year without fail.

So there is no "going backwards and putting the genie back in the bottle". My belief is that whatever top-of-the-line phone Apple releases next year, whatever its name is, will be superior to the X. A lot of us bought the X and there's no way they'll pass up an opportunity to take more of our money by releasing only inferior phones in the fall.

Apple will need to continue focusing on sales because, and I'm trying to put this as non-political as I can, just stating facts: many countries are now reducing, or penalizing, or assessing back-taxes on Apple's former tax havens and practices. They will be forced to pay more corporate tax in the future and I believe are even paying Ireland some back tax they owed.

All that is to say there's no way they'll allow X purchasers, who are likely their most ardent supporters, go a year without giving them revenue.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Well the earnings call this afternoon just squashed any doubt the iPhone X isn't selling. Apple just posted this quarter as their best ever for this period ending.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I never doubted that the X wouldn't sell well. What I think I am curious to see, and why Wall Street might be second guessing, is: can a phone priced that high be sustainable over time? I was all-in for the X because of many things: the anniversary, the one-off "special" nature of it, the big jump in screen tech, etc. I've updated my phone every 1-2 years like clockwork.

But if they keep pricing future top models at the same price, personally speaking I'm going to slow down my upgrade rate. So if enough people feel like I do, then the X can sell well on its release year, but may not prove to be a long term winning strategy.

Or, if disposable income has risen enough that most people don't care and will buy it, then Apple has once again raised the bar...and the price. :laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm rooting for X2 (pronounced "Ex Two", as opposed to the current "X)...

I'm skeptical we'll see an iPhone 9 and an iPhone XI (pronounced "Eleven")

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Smell the glove!
2000px-Solid_black.svg.png

I hear they effed up the dubly tho.... Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks