What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Joel is in prison for unknown reason having something to do with protecting Midge. Per the prison scene Rose Weissman, Midge’s mother has died by 1987 and Midge and Joel’s granddaughter is named after her. Observant Jews do not name children after living relatives. Joel is apparently in a prison with people guilty of financial crimes. Midge has stopped or slowed down her standup act and is now making her money selling wigs like Eva Gabor did or you can say like Joan Rivers sold jewelry on QVC .

I think there are only 4 episodes left. One of which will be almost all flash forward unlike the little teases we have gotten so far.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I am liking this season a lot. IMO, the best since S2. S4 had moments of brilliance but I thought meandered quite a bit.

While the flash forwards remove some of the question marks one might have had at the start of this season, it does add more questions (and intriguing ones at that!) that keeps it compelling.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've loved all of the seasons. Four is my least favorite so far (am taking my time watching season five since it's the last we'll ever have; I've only seen two of them so far), but the snappy writing has been a hallmark of every season, and I just love it.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We've watched the first three so far. It has been fun so far. I keep on seeing so much Monk in Abe this season.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Oh my gosh the latest episode explains almost all the flash forwards. In a way it played like a series finale. Don't know why the Elizabeth Montgomery/Andy Griffith sitcom didn't happen in real life but it should have.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
A more “serious” episode, but an important one, as it answers several lingering questions.

The humour is still there in the form of the “roast”.

Now it’s the home straight.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We just watched the Pirate episode and have a question. A few episodes ago Susie was known as an "elevator agent." In this episode it seems things have changed a lot. I can see how they might have changed after this episode, but I must have missed why she became so popular before this episode.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Abe apparently has died before 1981 as collage age Esther talks about him in the past tense in episode 1. Perhaps he didn’t live long after Rose died.
We haven’t seen or heard anything in the future about Moishe and Shirley Maisel, Joel’s parents yet. Only two episodes left with the finale presumably having to show the event(s) that made Midge a star. A lot still to find out.
Hank Azaria was clearly playing a Jewish version of Danny Thomas and the sitcom was based on "Make Room For Daddy" especially when he played the piano at the end of the credits which played like a typical "Daddy" episode. .

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
We just watched the Pirate episode and have a question. A few episodes ago Susie was known as an "elevator agent." In this episode it seems things have changed a lot. I can see how they might have changed after this episode, but I must have missed why she became so popular before this episode.
Keep watching. Last week's episode explains Susie's career.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure what to say about today's episode, the next to last for Mrs. Maisel . No flash forwards this week. It was a quiet week with what we think will lead to Midge's big break. A very good speech by Abe. They filmed in Grand Central Station but it didn't look like it did in 1961, when it would have been darker and dirtier than it is today with many billboard advertisements.
They did manage to include a sound effect of the old train schedule board spinning as it would have as trains are added and removed before everything went digital but the board in the background was clearly digital. I guess they couldn't find any stock footage of Grand Central from the early 1960's. They also took artistic license as a train to/from Baltimore would have gone and come from Penn Station, not Grand Central. Penn Station started to be torn down in 1963.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, a bit of a so-so episode. I’m wondering if we’ll find out the backstory between Susie and Hedy.

Seems like the big break will be Midge being booked on Gordon Ford (unless there’s a surprise in the final episode).

A better avenue (for me) would have been for Midge to get her big break in spite of Gordon.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
It does seem like there’s too much story left to tell for just one more episode, but the series has been so generally well conceived and written, I’m hoping the resolutions to character arcs and relationships will be satisfying. I’ll certainly miss these characters who were brilliantly played by the cast. Kudos to the casting director(s).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the finale needs to spend anytime on anything that was referred to in the flashforwards. We know that certain things happened because they were talked about, I don't think we need to see them. The exception is Midge's breakout performance. I think the show will end with that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In reaction to Joe's spoiler:

I was figuring the phone call was from the Jack Paar people ( change of heart?) and she would maybe be getting her big break there...

Although it could be any number of big events. News about Rose, for example...

I've been introspective on the shutdown of this show and the way this season has been playing out. I have been jumping back and forth between wanting everything neatly tied up in a bow and/or just being glad to have been along for the ride.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
In reaction to Joe's spoiler:

I was figuring the phone call was from the Jack Paar people ( change of heart?) and she would maybe be getting her big break there...

Although it could be any number of big events. News about Rose, for example...

I've been introspective on the shutdown of this show and the way this season has been playing out. I have been jumping back and forth between wanting everything neatly tied up in a bow and/or just being glad to have been along for the ride.

It does seem like not everything is going to be neat and tidy (or happy in its Hollywood-style ending).

Yes, Midge gets her big break (the future scenes shows her success), but she still has issues with Joel, her kids, her relationships, etc. In a way, showing the future early on means viewers won't be disappointed when the final episode comes around and not everything is rosy.

The final scene, I'm guessing, will be Midge and Susie reconciling in the future (post the Susie roast), which will as happy as it could be, given everything else.

Actually, given some of the future scenes are at different points in time, the final scene could be set in, say, just after the roast, in the early 1990s, and Susie and Midge meet and reconcile, and Joel and the kids are all there as well. Now that would be a happy ending!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't thought about the phone call at the end of the episode. That could be something that leads to Midge's big break. It could be Jack Parr, the Danny Thomas character played by Hank Azaria, or someone else offering Midge a spot on TV. It would make sense. Susie did what Midge asked, trying to get Midge on the Gordon Ford Show as a favor owed Susie, but it turned out to be unnecessary because she got her break based on her talent. I like that. The only thing I would miss is Moshe and Shirley's reaction in the audience at the Gordon Ford Show during her set.

The phone call.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks