What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
We'll obviously have to all wait and judge for ourselves.

One thing I'll raise re critics and early reviews is that over the last few years I've noticed a trend of (at least in my mind) critics guessing at what audiences will think and then writing to that assumption. Then, the movie/show is released and the public actually likes it. The critics were "wrong" about their assumption.

This happened with The Eternals. The critics largely didn't like it. Then it came out and the audience sort of...liked it! I loved it by the way. For all its warts the Rotten Tomato score "shows" this: 47% critic score, 78% audience score.

There are many other examples.

It used to be that critics chased eyeballs with so-called clickbait headlines. Now, I think many of them don't actually write their own personal review: instead, they try to guess what will be the purveying audience thought.

In this case, perhaps these critics are just assuming that, after three seasons, audience reaction will be lukewarm no matter how good the show actually is, and so the critics are writing to that assumption.

In any case, I'm not a fan of advance reviews for established shows. People are going to watch irrespective of reviews. I highly doubt early reviews drive the subscriptions/ratings at all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I was delighted by the news of the renewal and crushed by the news of the show's conclusion. Oh, well, I have two seasons more to enjoy. I will resist rewatching the whole thing until we get to the end. It's been a magnificent ride so far.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Watched the first episode tonight and found the characters as endearing and interesting as ever, the dialogue smart and quick like always, and a fine episode to fit us back into this world after being away for so, so long.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Loved the first 2 episodes!

The Wonder Wheel sequence was so chaotic and funny it reminded me of the Marx Bros!

Seems like several reviews complain about the show going around in circles (since she’s now back to where she started). But the writing is still sharp, and I have a feeling the Shy Baldwin story is not done yet…

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. You can just feel the pent up anger and energy boiler in Midge.

Some really nice vintage Pyrex in the second episode. I'm pretty sure my parents had some of the same pieces in yellow.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. You can just feel the pent up anger and energy boiler in Midge.

Some really nice vintage Pyrex in the second episode. I'm pretty sure my parents had some of the same pieces in yellow.

My wife said her mother likely had the same dinnerware! Corelle?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The fourth season will drop two new episodes each week instead of the whole season at once:

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Abandons Binge-Release Format for Season 4 — and Series Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino Is In 'F--king Love' With the Change

I'm on board with this change. I still haven't seen the third season because when it came out I didn't have five or six hours to dedicate to it. Had it been released this way, I probably would have been able to find the time.
Why couldn't you watch just 1-2 episodes per week even when all episodes were released at once?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not quite sure what the reviewers who have spit on these first two episodes wanted, but for me it's the show I've always known and loved moving along exactly as it likely would. Can't wait for two more episodes!

And, yes, that Wonder Wheel sequence was the show at its kooky best.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I started watching Gilmore Girls last week (had not seen it previously) on the basis of it being an Amy Sherman Palladino creation as well, and really enjoying season 1 so far (we're about 2/3 of the way through).

What really made it resonate was that eps 5 and 6 of Mrs Maisel (dropped today) had several references/links to Gilmore Girls!

To wit:

* Scott Cohen (who played Rory's teacher Max Medina) and Kelly Bishop (the Gilmores' matriarch) showed up in Maisel;
* both shows have a reference to Proust (in GG, one of his books was loaned from Max to Lorelei)
* both shows reference Stella (in GG, the little chicken Rory brings home from school)

There may be some others I missed, but the above were the ones I caught!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I love this show and look forward to seasons 4 and 5. However the early reviews of the first two episodes of season 4 are mostly negative. I hope the critics are wrong.
Season 4 is every bit as good as previous seasons. I’m really amazed at how much fun I’m having with it. I just didn’t expect the quality and writing to be sustained at this point. And the production values are getting better!

I think it helps that each season has a unique perspective. Season 1 is the breakout, the origin story. Season 2 gives us the summer camp (and Rose’s European escape?). Season 3 is Shy, an Abe leaving his job and Joel really becoming independent. And Season 4 is about Suzy becoming her own woman and Midge really figuring out who she is.

Season 4 is maybe even more than previous seasons, powered by its internal ironies.

Rose and Abe utterly disdain Midge’s comic pursuits, but love Sophie Lennon.
MIdge won’t take Shy’s money while Suzy is about to crack trying to get some cash.
Suzy won’t take Sophie’s money while Midge is pointing out it’s just money that they both need.
And of course Midge‘s greatest strength is her greatest weakness: her comedic spontaneity where she only knows what she said after its too late.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What really made it resonate was that eps 5 and 6 of Mrs Maisel (dropped today) had several references/links to Gilmore Girls!
Other Gilmore connections with Maisel are:

Chris Eigeman--who played Lorelai's love interest Digger Phelps and Abe's editor at the Village Voice.

Jane Lynch--a single episode appearance as an ER nurse on GG and Sophie Lennon on Maisel.

Emily Bergl--played Chilton student Francie and Susie's sister Tess

Liza Weil--played Paris and Carol (bassist in Shy Baldwin's band).

Bailey DeYoung--was in the 30-something gang in Stars Hollow and Miriam's best friend Imogene (Dodie!).

Jackie Hoffman--the filing woman at the Stars Hollow Gazette and Getta (one of the matchmakers who lean on Rose (alongside Kelly Bishop).

And Brian Tarantino--Bootsie the newsstand owner (and friendly Luke adversary) and Jackie (Susie's roomate and fellow Gaslight employee). Tarantino, who died last year, is given an excellent sendoff on Maisel this season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I started watching Gilmore Girls last week (had not seen it previously) on the basis of it being an Amy Sherman Palladino creation as well, and really enjoying season 1 so far (we're about 2/3 of the way through).
And THIS, Joe, you'll find is one of the BEST decisions you will have ever made. Gilmore Girls is one of the best things to ever hit the airwaves.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I still have a hard time with Midge's anger at Shy . I get that what she did was without malicious intent and what he did was to intentionally humiliate her. What she did was enormous for the late '50s . I don't think it would have been enough for her to apologize if she had had the chance. For her to think everyone at the Apollo already knew or suspected Shy was gay is very naive. The idea that she wants to get back at Shy for his treetment of her is not understandable without her realization of the potential damage she did to his career and his life as he just entered a marrage to put the rumors to rest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks