What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Three time Oscar nominated actress Piper Laurie dies at 91. (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
The lady had a long, fascinating career portraying a wide wide range of roles. But my favorite of all her performances is one that doesn't get mentioned that often. I thought she was absolutely luminous in the 1995 film adaptation of Truman Capote's "The Grass Harp". Really wonderful work - charismatic and sensitive. In a strong cast (Sissy Spaceck, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau) I thought she made the most vivid impression.
And forty years after her early heyday as the plucky heroine of so many Universal International adventure films, she still looked fresh, natural - and meltingly lovely.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
R.I.P. Piper Laurie. Another Beautiful Classic Hollywood actress has passed. :( Below with Victor Mature in Dangerous Mission.
A PIPER L 1.jpg
A PIPER L MATURE.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not familiar with a lot of her early work, but but I do remember her from Carrie and she was very memorable as Catherine Martell in the original Twin Peaks series (appointment TV for me and friends in college). RIP.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I was just talking about her yesterday with my best friend. May she R.I.P.
I saw her at last year's TCM Festival where her recollections and interviews were a huge highlight of the festival for many - including Ben Mankiewicz. Beyond gifted actress. Her performance in The Hustler, which I saw at the age of 13 or so, will forever be a part of me. And damn, she is so f-ing amazing in DePalma's Carrie.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Hustler, Tim, etc. I'm so glad she got a second wind after Carrie.
Charming, lovely lady whom I got to meet during the last 3D Expo.
RIP

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Unforgettable as Dr Nora’s mom from hell in Frasier.

Loved her sassy early performances opposite Tony Curtis in The Prince Who Was a Thief, Son of Ali Baba etc.

Val Guest recalled this of The Persuaders:

“…one day we were shooting on the Croisette in Cannes… Tony Curtis came down to do his scene and he was just carrying on at the wardrobe saying 'you didn't do this and you should have done that... and in Hollywood you would have been fired...' And dear Roger Moore walked over, took him by the lapels, looked him straight in the eyes and said 'and to think those lips once kissed Piper Laurie.' …Well, the whole of the Croisette collapsed, the unit collapsed and I must say even Tony had to laugh.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20071010050138/https://secure.bfi.org.uk/features/interviews/guest.html

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Unforgettable as Dr Nora’s mom from hell in Frasier.

Loved her sassy early performances opposite Tony Curtis in The Prince Who Was a Thief, Son of Ali Baba etc.

Val Guest recalled this of The Persuaders:

“…one day we were shooting on the Croisette in Cannes… Tony Curtis came down to do his scene and he was just carrying on at the wardrobe saying 'you didn't do this and you should have done that... and in Hollywood you would have been fired...' And dear Roger Moore walked over, took him by the lapels, looked him straight in the eyes and said 'and to think those lips once kissed Piper Laurie.' …Well, the whole of the Croisette collapsed, the unit collapsed and I must say even Tony had to laugh.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20071010050138/https://secure.bfi.org.uk/features/interviews/guest.html
Yes I was just going to post about her scene in the Dr. Nora episode in Frasier. Funny stuff. The only other piece of work of hers I know is The Hustler- great film. RIP, Piper.
🙁

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks