What's new

Twilight Time indicates they will re-license some sold-out titles. BREAKING! (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
FoxyMulder said:
I was just wondering, is there any chance at all you might pay for a new film scan of Zulu and re-release it.
Twilight Time said:
Unfortunately not -- we would love to as it's one of our all-time favorite films, but the fact that there are already several versions including bootlegs flooding the marketplace, it isn't viable financially. The other problem is rights -- Paramount have it in some territories, Studio/Canal in others, and MGM/UA in the U.S. makes it problematic as to which entity would even sign-off on such a venture. However, never say never!
It's also the best looking version out there.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Don't forget "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" is available in Australia - complete with the isolated score track - and region-free, according to those in the States who have already imported it...

timthumb.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Isn't it great when you purchase a limited edition that turns out not to be limited. Perhaps TT could lower its prices.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thanks for your input, Stephen, but what we're doing is working, and in the case of the re-licensed titles, all will have something different to them, so they will be completely new editions.
(...)
And it's also important for you to understand that we are not reissuing every sold out title, just a select few that we believe can be improved upon.
(...)
Indeed -- all of the reissues will have extra features and be in some sense substantially different from the first edition.
(...)
And in one case will be a brand new 4k restoration to boot!
(from TT's facebook)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Konstantinos said:
(from TT's facebook)
The quotes from TT's facebook sound fair enough. Time will tell if what TT is doing is effectively ignoring the limited edition bit or if really adding something significant.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes said:
The quotes from TT's facebook sound fair enough. Time will tell if what TT is doing is effectively ignoring the limited edition bit or if really adding something significant.
At the very least TT is communicating to their consumer base which is a lot more than some other companies are doing in that regard. Also, if they were ignoring the limited edition then wouldn't they re-issue all of their titles that sold out?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Crawford said:
At the very least TT is communicating to their consumer base which is a lot more than some other companies are doing in that regard. Also, if they were ignoring the limited edition then wouldn't they re-issue all of their titles that sold out?
If they were effectively ignoring the limited nature of the edition, they still might not release titles that took a while to sell out. You are right to give them props for communicating. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I'm trying to guess what the 4K scan would be for.Surely not Christine or Fright Night.

I just hope that a re-issued Christine (for example) would not take up one of the monthly 'slots' from another release.Steve W

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I wonder if Night of the Living Dead will feature the new 4K transfer? As that one was controversial if I remember correctly.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dale MA said:
I wonder if Night of the Living Dead will feature the new 4K transfer? As that one was controversial if I remember correctly.
I have a sneaky suspicion it will be The Fury.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Konstantinos said:
oh, you think that they could use the same master that Arrow Films did, right?
It could be..
No, the Arrow release was from a 2K film scan, i think because of the controversy over that release Twilight Time will be going one better and we'll see a new release based off of a 4K film scan. This is just a fun guessing game, it might be Journey To The Center Of The Earth too, although it's probably a Sony/Columbia title since they have been investing in 4K scans.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I was hoping someone other than Twilight Time would grab Fright Night. Maybe Sony could release it themselves. There was a cast reunion filmed around the time the Blu-ray was released, which I would love to see. There's ZERO chance of that if TT reacquires it since they don't (or can't) include certain type of extras. Even though FN has an awesome soundtrack, isolated scores aren't my thing. I'm guessing because of the popularity of this one title, TT has decided to go for a second round with it and the others. Great for people who missed out I suppose.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Dale MA said:
NOTLD '90 was controversial only because of Sony's attempt to get its colour timing closer to what Savini and his DP originally envisioned for the film. What often got forgotten in the backlash, was that previous home video releases were wrong too, especially those first reel 'day for dusk' scenes which were always considerably brighter and more saturated than they had originally appeared when photo-chemically printed down for the theatrical release. So the correct (most authentic) colour balance for this picture was probably somewhere between those too bright/too dark extremes.

However, every other aspect of Sony's 2010 rescan (already at 4k) and Twilight Time's authoring/production was above reproach, resulting in a superbly mastered disc with rock solid encode. Most of the over-the-top criticism of this Blu-ray came from video gen fans who were simply unfamiliar with the source...after 20 some odd years they only knew this picture via VHS, DVD, and broadcasts.

Had both versions been included on a special edition disc (as Sony apparently planned in 2010), then I doubt any of this faux drama would have ensued. In any case, TT was more than generous with its open return/full refund offer to any buyers truly dissatisfied with this version.

Ultimately, just another tempest in the old 'Net teapot...

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
The new 4K scan is surely going to be for either The Big Heat, Journey to the Center of the Earth or possibly Fright Night. The former two where DVD era masters from a while back, and I think Fright Night may have been as well.

The idea of Fox undertaking a new 4K transfer of The Fury when they have a fabulous and unused brand new 2K transfer seems very silly to me. Anyway, we won't see that again until 2016 at the earliest, and my impression was that the new 4K transfer will make an appearance on one of the four 2015 re-issues.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Personally, I think (I hope) that the 4k scan will be for Journey to the Center of the Earth...a film which Fox originally had to restore from recombined separations (with extensive work by Chace on its sound) because the original negative was deemed unusable.

In 2012, TT presented the best master Fox had at that time, from a 2010 re-scan, though likely only 2k. Most of it looked just fine for a film with such a heartbreaking home video legacy. But there were some rougher spots, so possibly Fox has since taken it back into the shop for one last go at the scanning and workflow.

Fingers crossed, Journey is one of my all time faves...

P.S. Eddie. Fright Night, like many (if not most) of Sony's masters presented via TT, is already from a 4k harvest.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
The idea of Fox undertaking a new 4K transfer of The Fury when they have a fabulous and unused brand new 2K transfer seems very silly to me. Anyway, we won't see that again until 2016 at the earliest, and my impression was that the new 4K transfer will make an appearance on one of the four 2015 re-issues.
That 2K scan was paid for by Arrow and two other international labels, i don't see Twilight Time getting it, it's not unused.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The Christine title will no doubt be a sore spot"This is coming to Scandinavia, at least. Most likely from the same master."That 2K scan was paid for by Arrow and two other international labels, i don't see Twilight Time getting it, it's not unused."So TT would create a 3rd master for The Fury? I highly doubt it. TT doesn't remaster titles.IMO TT should focus on the films that are not generally available elsewhere (on Blu). This could help:http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=239285

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks