What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Who here shoots longbow? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I shot compound for many years and got tired of it. After many years away I want something a bit more challenging, compounds are just too easy.

Today I went to my local archery shop and shot some 35# and 40# @ 28" (66" length). The 35# was a bit too easy and the 40 was just about right. So I'm thinking about a 45-50# draw.

The biggest decision is brand. Martin seems to be one of the best but if anyone has thoughts on this I am all ears. I'm looking to buy within the next month.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Archery has always been one of those things I've wanted to spend more time with. Took a community college class where we shot recurves and that is probably what I would go with.

Thing is I would like to practice somewhat on my own and not have to go somewhere, but where I live is not really conducive to that.

I did go into a shop and try a compound once. The string slipped out of my fingers though, resulting in a dry fire (or whatever is the correct term.) The shop owner was not happy with me. What else could I do? It's not like I did it on purpose.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've never tried a long bow, but I shot a recurve for many years before compound bows were around. I miss those days, since there were virtually no archery deer hunters in those days, leaving the woods completely to my dad, grandfather and me. Once compounds hit the market, the woods became filled with archery hunters.

I shot a 45# Bear recurve as a youngster, and inherited my grandfather's beautiful Herter's 42# laminated wood bow when he passed away. My dad has the same model -- they both purchased the bows back in 1967.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I found a guy that's about an hours drive from me. He makes longbows, very good quality longbows. Several shops here sell them. I contacted him directly and he's bringing several out that I chose off his site so that I can do some shooting. Most likely I'll be buy one next week. I'm looking at a 70" or 68" with a draw of 41# at 28".

Here's his site. http://www.abbottlongbows.com/

I shot a couple of his last week and fell in love with the quality and smoothness of shooting. Very impressive bows. He charges about $450 where the shop near my house sells them from $550+

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Let us know how you like it. I never really cared for Long Bow or compounds but I sure do love my recurve.

I don't shot nearing as much as I would like since there aren't many ranges in the area and only one that is 90 meters.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
90 meters?! That's quite a distance to shoot! We have a range setup at my parents house in northern Michigan, and I never felt comfortable shooting anything more than 40 yards, and only had my compound bow sighted for up to 50 yards (although I would never shoot at a deer at that distance). With a recurve, it would be even a shorter distance.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well in reality you don't see too many 90m contests anymore but back in the 80s when I started there were some. Now the longest distance used is 70m and when you practice at it over and over again it really isn't that difficult.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Met Steve Abbott yesterday and bought my bow. A 70" Osage wood, reflex / deflex longbow 41# at 28". This thing is amazingly beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks