What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Max Fleischer's SUPERMAN 1941-1943 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The “altered” screenshot is not from the Blu-ray, but an example of what AI can do. Sure fooled me, because it looks so good.
Both those AI-altered Safe In Hell screenshots look horrible to me, disturbingly artificial. Essentially, a desecration.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Are you not seeing the total and absolute destruction in your AI images of the original?

Sorry, but they’re horrific. One thing that they’re doing is increasing APPARENT sharpness via contrast. But the image has turned into a mosaic.

Look at the horse’s head, leg and the man sitting nearby. There is absolutely nothing photographic retained about the image. It’s a totally digital aberration.
I agree. I'm not saying this is great. I'm using ordinary upscaling software. It kind of works because human faces are minimized.
But you've seen the Tom Cruise deep fakes haven't you? Things are moving into replacement territory. Tom Cruise Deep Fake

This was processed with an online imaging app. gfpgan
out.Adrienne copy.jpg

This blurry face is apparently similar to what the app has been programmed with. Front-facing images seem to work well. But a 3/4 pose ends up with unpredictable results.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
"It isn't the 'horror show' that digital bits describes... but it's a huge disappointment for those of us that wanted these properly restored."

And to make clear this wasn't a Warner Archive production and that he and George Feltenstein weren't involved:

"Different people did this - it’s a long story." "Because George wasn’t there… done behind his back when he was away."
Said this yesterday that Mr Beck should have been involved = WBHV btoched it - will they eat the cost of
Is WA leaning a little heavier on the degraining/faux-re-graining button on their latest releases? Did they revamp an existing de-graining program and it hasn't been fine-tuned yet?
Some examples look great but suspiciously grain-less or low-grained.
View attachment 183177

View attachment 183181
This is from "only-known surviving 35mm nitrate print"

Others look soft with low detail:
View attachment 183192

View attachment 183193
A Lion in the Streets 1953

Safe in Hell 1931

I agree. I'm not saying this is great. I'm using ordinary upscaling software. It kind of works because human faces are minimized.
But you've seen the Tom Cruise deep fakes haven't you? Things are moving into replacement territory. Tom Cruise Deep Fake

This was processed with an online imaging app. gfpgan
View attachment 183347

This blurry face is apparently similar to what the app has been programmed with. Front-facing images seem to work well. But a 3/4 pose ends up with unpredictable results.
Mr C why have we gone from Superman toons to lousy screengrabs of films and AI???

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
"The raw (pre-cleaned) image from that scan was used to show off clips of the show in "Speeding Towards Tomorrow", revealing wonderfully rich textures that, damage aside, has the appearance of authentic nitrate film grain and looks great. However, most of this grain was scrubbed away during their cleaning process, robbing Max Fleischer's Superman of its original texture and even some of the crisp linework and other details. In short, it's extremely soft and less eye-catching and, though certainly watchable, marks a substantial step down from 'what could have been'."
Video score 3.0.
Max Fleischer's Superman

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"The raw (pre-cleaned) image from that scan was used to show off clips of the show in "Speeding Towards Tomorrow", revealing wonderfully rich textures that, damage aside, has the appearance of authentic nitrate film grain and looks great. However, most of this grain was scrubbed away during their cleaning process, robbing Max Fleischer's Superman of its original texture and even some of the crisp linework and other details. In short, it's extremely soft and less eye-catching and, though certainly watchable, marks a substantial step down from 'what could have been'."
Video score 3.0.
Max Fleischer's Superman
Just another review reminding us on how Warner screwed up this release, we been waiting years to get them to do
Little we can do about it

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's funny to me that everyone here complaining about how Warners screwed up this Blu-ray, has not seen the Blu-ray. Until someone here sees it, maybe we should just hold off. Looking forward to Mr. Harris's comments. If it's bad then it's bad, but the review posted above is written by someone who clearly had read Mr. Hunt's comments first.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I’ve done the same, but here’s a positive review.

"I decided the best way to convey just how great these cartoons look is by putting them through the Ultimate Test: How do they look from your living room couch?
So dig these amazing 13 IMAGES that were taken on my iPhone (which explains why the framing is slighty off-kilter)."

It appears that he has his TV in Showroom Display Mode - maxed out contrast, saturation, sharpness and brightness. And then he's shooting the image on his TV with his iPhone (with all the image processing going on in there).
His images are hyper-saturated with sharpening halos around all the black lines.

iPhone shot from13th Dimension
IMG_0525-scaled.jpg

Screenshot from BluRay.com
28206_10_1080p.jpg

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You don't actually know what his set-up is or what he's done. As I said, we can all judge when we - wait for it - get the Blu-ray. The people who cannot EVER judge are the people who don't get the Blu-ray and who judge on screen caps alone, whether they look good or bad. Them's my two centimes.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
You don't actually know what his set-up is or what he's done. As I said, we can all judge when we - wait for it - get the Blu-ray. The people who cannot EVER judge are the people who don't get the Blu-ray and who judge on screen caps alone, whether they look good or bad. Them's my two centimes.
He's shooting his TV screen with an iPhone. C'mon.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I'm getting my Bluray on Tuesday from Amazon. :) It looks Nice to me. It could have been Better. It's nice and clean. No more spots all over the screen. Much better than the SD digital version I have and my old WB DVD. It will go on the shelf next to my three Popeye and three Tex Avery Bluray's. :D

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm getting my Bluray on Tuesday from Amazon. :) It looks Nice to me. It could have been Better. It's nice and clean. No more spots all over the screen. Much better than the SD digital version I have and my old WB DVD. It will go on the shelf next to my three Popeye and three Tex Avery Bluray's. :D
How do you know what it looks like if you’re getting it on Tuesday?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks