What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release WHV Press Release: Max Fleischer's SUPERMAN 1941-1943 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ll check out that review Rick, thanks. But it makes me wonder why no one at the HTF has a review copy? Or perhaps they do and they are still working on it.

I’ve got my copy pre-ordered too. So I’ll also see how it looks next week.
Our reviewer is working on it. Patience is needed because some of those titles don't show up until a couple of weeks before release date which can be a problem when a reviewer is doing multiple reviews along with his normal life. Reviewers aren't paid for their services.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
When will wonders ever cease. Opening a disc case ...:D

Yeah. I never quite got the point of that. If it was a review of the disc content and quality, that'd be one thing. I was half expecting him to turn the disc over and talk about how shiny it looked.

Then again, there are probably viewers who will see the minimal disc "art" or the eco-case, and decide not to buy it because they don't like how those look.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yeah. I never quite got the point of that. If it was a review of the disc content and quality, that'd be one thing. I was half expecting him to turn the disc over and talk about how shiny it looked.

Then again, there are probably viewers who will see the minimal disc "art" or the eco-case, and decide not to buy it because they don't like how those look.
These Unboxing reviews are extremely important, especially as the reviewer receives free product, and never has to actually view anything or share a opinion.

More important, it reveals that purchasing a Blu-ray Disc isn’t an easy task. Especially if you prefer your cases without recycling cut-outs.

In order to avoid this, I generally visit a few stores and examine the packaging - gently pushing the front and back together will give you the information you need.

If the packaging feels too delicate, it will have the recycling cut-outs.

I recommend that if one is going to use this method of selecting discs, it’s best to begin (and practice) with melons. Cantaloupes seem to work particularly well.

One of the more important points covered in video reviews - I was actually unaware of this until a month or so ago, when I noted a review by a quite attractive on-line influencer, and learned of the the all-important sniff test, for which reviewers must actually go through an extremely difficult series of courses, and if successful will then be licensed.

More Blu-ray collectors than you might imagine have found this to be an extremely important part of the collecting and classification regimen, as among other things allows the owner of the new disc to make note of the various compounds used to create the disc, the country of origin, and as some of the most astute collectors will tell you - the precise shift and date of production at the plant. This is helpful in defining true First Editions. Collectors can record the various scents of Blu-ray discs and share this information.

For example, Universal’s 4k UHD of Knock at the Cabin Door has a pervasive scent of fire, brimstone, aviation fuel and grasshoppers. Still ruminating on the production facility and date. The disc is quite unique, and very different from Sideways.

And yes, there are several of us here at HTF, fully licensed to share this information. I’m told that three reviewers have already turned down the 4k of Raging Bull.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One final - and extremely important point regarding unboxing videos.

Budget.

While I’ve made my thoughts known in the past regarding my perception of the misuse of crowd-funding platforms such as Kickstarter, the point should be made that you won’t find the production entities behind unboxing video raising public funds.

These videos are self-funded, and while their budgets may not be considered huge, the amount of public good that they do in comparison to those budgets cannot be overstated.

They deserve your respect.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Our reviewer is working on it. Patience is needed because some of those titles don't show up until a couple of weeks before release date which can be a problem when a reviewer is doing multiple reviews along with his normal life. Reviewers aren't paid for their services.
Thanks for clarifying there is an HTF reviewer on it. I’m not rushing or pushing and certainly appreciate that the reviewer has a life and a job and doing disc reviews is something done when time permits. I did not know if there is a review being done. Cool, I look forward to reading it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Very interesting and incisive review. Bottom line: He feels that the Superman character - as drawn - doesn’t look correct. I agree. Appears more drawn than a actor photographed.
james whale riot GIF by Maudit
;)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks for clarifying there is an HTF reviewer on it. I’m not rushing or pushing and certainly appreciate that the reviewer has a life and a job and doing disc reviews is something done when time permits. I did not know if there is a review being done. Cool, I look forward to reading it.
THANK YOU HTF reviewers are vital to people here!!!!!!!!!!

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
My copy was waiting when I got home late tonight. After dinner I had time to view the first 11 titles and all 3 bonus features. I viewed the disc on a 4K projector & video processor combination.
My impression is based on just watching the films for their artistry and emotional power...not the techical process of getting these ancient and poorly preserved relics onto HD media.
From my perspective...they look gorgeous! A true joy to watch. The color and shadow work is true artistry and for the first time after a lifetime of seeing badly decayed variations, I felt the power and the landmark place of honor these shorts hold...not just the development of Superman, but SciFi in general. Clearly...even the design of Godzilla is inspired by one of these shorts! There are several more standard SciFi tripes that are equally obvious.
As for technical flaws, the most jarring are certain spliced on ending titles which include random music cues in conflict with the music concluding the final scenes.
I watched the new bonus featurette to pay particular attention to the extra clarity various reviews have described. All I can say is for whatever additional clarity (it's minimal) the price is a filthy looking image! During WWll, animation studios were forced to wash and reuse cels to save on the use of plastics. If ever there were examples of well worn cels creating a dirty looking image, this is it. True, all the filth, grain and negative damage is very clear, but if your reason for owning these films is to enjoy storytelling, artistry and a style likely to never be seen again...it's well worth the buy!
Now about the flimsy eco case...you will need to move everything over to something more befitting of such artistic wonders!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks