What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I think this is gonna be the one that finally pushes me to upgrade my home theater to 4K, and that's all due to reading RAH's background on the restoration efforts.

That Robert Harris seal of approval does more to motivate my wallet than a cadre of home video promotion department employees or all the commercials in the world.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I neglected to mention that I feel this film is ripe for reappraisal.
I couldn't agree more! I've been surprised for a long time that those critics who love finding hidden meanings in Hitchcock's films have not commented on the contrast in the two marriages. At the beginning of the film, the American couple are rather on edge with each other, culminating with that sinister scene when he tricks her into taking a sedative, The British couple however seem entirely in accord and at ease with each other. As the plot thickens and the tension increases, the American couple come together while the cracks in the British couple's marriage open up and finally she betrays her husband. For spoiler reasons, I won't specify how.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think this is gonna be the one that finally pushes me to upgrade my home theater to 4K, and that's all due to reading RAH's background on the restoration efforts.

That Robert Harris seal of approval does more to motivate my wallet than a cadre of home video promotion department employees or all the commercials in the world.
An upgrade to 4k can be a major benefit toward enjoying cinema in your home. But be aware. Read reviews.

All 4k software is NOT created equal.

New productions, especially those shot via high resolution data, will shine on your system, along with high resolution image harvests based upon large format film.

Many standard 35mm productions can also shine in 4k, but many will not give you any sort of major upgrade over a recently produced 2k scan as seen on a Blu-ray - from a nominal seating distance.

Whlie wallet motivation toward 4k (and Dolby Atmos) is a positive and viable act, you still must be careful not to be swept up in the overall 4k hype.

Select your software wisely, and also keep in mind that, as much as we would like it to be a base presumption - a 4k release of a large format film does not guarantee quality.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Perspecta could do "directional dialog" as seen here:

But its far from transparent as you can hear the optical cackle pan with the voices.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Perspecta could do "directional dialog" as seen here:

But its far from transparent as you can hear the optical cackle pan with the voices.

Perspecta cannot do directional dialogue. It moves the entire audio stream from speaker to speaker.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
An upgrade to 4k can be a major benefit toward enjoying cinema in your home. But be aware. Read reviews.

All 4k software is NOT created equal.

I will also note that not all UHD HDR TVs are created equal and unfortunately the majority of them do a rather poor job of rendering HDR, especially dark scenes, star fields, etc. But when you have a good transfer/HDR grade and a very good or great TV the results are sublime.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Lots of important information can be found here.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lots of important information can be found here.

Thank you. You might wish to change the title of that thread, as Perspecta was not truly stereophonic. Sound was steered between one or all of the three behind the screen speakers, all using the same monaural source.

But what extraordinary 3-D film opened precisely 70 years ago today?

7 Nov 1953!

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hmm, tell me.
I don’t track them. But the era was within that wonderful golden period for the format, which seemed so prolific in those first couple of years, it reminds me of the silent era, during which each of the studios had multiple releases (5-6 films) each month - 90% of which no longer survive.

Knowing that you and Jeff Joseph have tried to save whatever 3-D you’ve been able to locate, what is the loss ratio - either entire features or single eyes?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks