What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Did you post this in the wrong thread because what does it have to do with "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956)?
Very relevant to the discussion of preservation. The Bible by Mr. Pierce and the LoC on survival of the silent cinema.

This is the root of all other discussions, inclusive of soundtracks on early safety stock, and links decisively to Perspecta, early 3-D, and the overall survival of our film heritage.

One might question, much akin to the silent cinema, why are 3-D films problematic? Why are there no extant final magnetic audio masters on four important Hitchcock films of the 1950s?

The answers are found here, and involve the ownership, handling, preservation and disinterest due to short-term perceptions. It’s not merely a nitrate problem.

Is it your intent to block dissemination of this publication based on political or religious grounds? Legal statutes? Censorship? Free speech?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Grady

Agent
An upgrade to 4k can be a major benefit toward enjoying cinema in your home. But be aware. Read reviews.

All 4k software is NOT created equal.

New productions, especially those shot via high resolution data, will shine on your system, along with high resolution image harvests based upon large format film.

Many standard 35mm productions can also shine in 4k, but many will not give you any sort of major upgrade over a recently produced 2k scan as seen on a Blu-ray - from a nominal seating distance.

While wallet motivation toward 4k (and Dolby Atmos) is a positive and viable act, you still must be careful not to be swept up in the overall 4k hype.

Select your software wisely, and also keep in mind that, as much as we would like it to be a base presumption - a 4k release of a large format film does not guarantee quality.

Which is why the first thing I always look at, on your 4K reviews, is "Makes use of and works well in 4K". If I don't see at least a 7 I stick with the Blu Ray. While I have no proof, my eyes tell me most pro reviews exaggerate the visual improvement to promote 4K discs.

I greatly appreciate the fact that we have at least one reviewer that we can rely on to objectively determine if the upgrade to 4K is really worth it.

Mr. Harris, thank you so much.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very relevant to the discussion of preservation. The Bible by Mr. Pierce and the LoC on survival of the silent cinema.

This is the root of all other discussions, inclusive of soundtracks on early safety stock, and links decisively to Perspecta, early 3-D, and the overall survival of our film heritage.

One might question, much akin to the silent cinema, why are 3-D films problematic? Why are there no extant final magnetic audio masters on four important Hitchcock films of the 1950s?

The answers are found here, and involve the ownership, handling, preservation and disinterest due to short-term perceptions. It’s not merely a nitrate problem.

Is it your intent to block dissemination of this publication based on political or religious grounds? Legal statutes? Censorship? Free speech?
It was a simple question because the article was talking about preserving silent films.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Whatever!
You might actually find the publication both interesting and useful. Your tax dollars at work.

As an Ordained Minister and Preacher of the First Order for Our Lady of Blessed Nitrate and Constant Sorrow, I entreat you to at the very least to carefully bend back the digital covers of the tome and anoint yourself with this blessed knowledge.

Your soul will be better for it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Have been waiting for this since, they announced these forthcoming series of HITCH upgrades. It would be second fave to "Vertigo", "MWKTM", "Trouble With Harry", and "Marnie",

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I must say reading this "reviews" is a fantastic lesson in film restoration and I never tire of reading about the challenges, disappointments, and (with much luck) the success of what is found and ultimately accomplished. Thank you, Robert, for always taking the time to delve deep into your knowledge and experience to invite us into the struggles, chaos, and Herculean efforts so many dedicated teams of film lovers go through to preserve these works of art.

"What we owe you is beyond evaluation."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I must say reading this "reviews" is a fantastic lesson in film restoration and I never tire of reading about the challenges, disappointments, and (with much luck) the success of what is found and ultimately accomplished. Thank you, Robert, for always taking the time to delve deep into your knowledge and experience to invite us into the struggles, chaos, and Herculean efforts so many dedicated teams of film lovers go through to preserve these works of art.

"What we owe you is beyond evaluation."
Appreciated. With a tip of the hat to Mr. Bolt.

For clarity, I was a hired gun on this one. 100% of the work was physically performed by the team at Universal. My team created continuities, researched, delved into inventories and viewed files on Macs and in projection.

The final product is Universal. Very much a multi-team effort,

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
No matter how many times I watch TMWKTM one question always gnaws at me. It's probably not that important, but I haven't found any answers, so I place it here in the hope there is an answer, or at least, someone can stop the gnawing feeling. Every time Louis Bernard (Daniel Gélin) speaks it's noticeable that his voice is dubbed, but was it by a voice actor, or did Gélin dub his own voice in post? There are lines Bernard/Gélin speaks that sound very much like Mel Blanc doing a serious Pepe Le Pew voice. Or, am I hearing something that isn't even there?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No matter how many times I watch TMWKTM one question always gnaws at me. It's probably not that important, but I haven't found any answers, so I place it here in the hope there is an answer, or at least, someone can stop the gnawing feeling. Every time Louis Bernard (Daniel Gélin) speaks it's noticeable that his voice is dubbed, but was it by a voice actor, or did Gélin dub his own voice in post? There are lines Bernard/Gélin speaks that sound very much like Mel Blanc doing a serious Pepe Le Pew voice. Or, am I hearing something that isn't even there?
Interesting question. I’ve probably seen the film 50 times, and never noticed anything amiss or odd. One could probably check files at the Herrick.

Are you aware that Maria Schneider was his daughter?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Interesting question. I’ve probably seen the film 50 times, and never noticed anything amiss or odd. One could probably check files at the Herrick.

Are you aware that Maria Schneider was his daughter?
Someone has made this comment on IMDb:

“When his character speaks English, Daniel Gelin was dubbed (with what appears to be the voice of Anton Walbrook), but in the brief moments when he speaks French, Gélin's own voice can be heard.”

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Someone has made this comment on IMDb:

“When his character speaks English, Daniel Gelin was dubbed (with what appears to be the voice of Anton Walbrook), but in the brief moments when he speaks French, Gélin's own voice can be heard.”
Thank you! I went through IMDb but missed that comment. If this IMDb comment is accurate, I wonder if Walbrook was an actor who would be called upon to dub non-English speaking actors, and if this was a request from Hitchcock himself.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
But what extraordinary 3-D film opened precisely 70 years ago today?

7 Nov 1953!

Wrong date but here is THE BURNING ANSWER…

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wrong date but here is THE BURNING ANSWER…

That was the date of the original press screening. Premieres, press screenings...

But, even more important, what film premiered on 1 June 1956?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A friend linked me to the review on the other site.

Based upon what I read, and the images offered, not sure that I would purchase this disc. Now informed of partial update.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I never thought this 1956 movie was among Hitchcock’s best films. I have no issues with the acting performances in this movie, but I always disliked the main characters, particularly Stewart’s character. Frankly, I think the parents actions were irresponsible and not smart at all. IMO, I think the original film was a much more effective and serious movie.

I'm on your side of the fence with this one, Robert. Ah, the wide, wonderful world of differing opinions. Keeps things more interesting.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I'm on your side of the fence with this one, Robert. Ah, the wide, wonderful world of differing opinions. Keeps things more interesting.
Absolutely, it’s great we all can discuss our opinions. I think Stewart’s performance in this film is miles about his performance as Scotty in Vertigo. To me, none of the charm I get from watching a Jimmy Stewart film were present in Vertigo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarinyanaka
Recent bookmarks