What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Risky Business (1983) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
sVozlyc30bUuyk06RvSQMkh09myecU_large.jpg
A sly piece of pop subversion, this irresistible satire of Reagan-era materialism features Tom Cruise in his star-is-born breakthrough as a Chicago suburban prepster whose college-bound life spirals out of control when his parents go out of town for the week and an enterprising call girl (Rebecca De Mornay) invites him to walk on the wild side. While Cruise boogying in his briefs yielded one of the most iconic pop-cultural moments of the 1980s, it is the film’s unexpected mix of tender romance (enhanced by a moody synth score by Tangerine Dream) and sharp-witted capitalist critique that remains fresh and daring.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 99 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1227

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restorations of the director’s cut and the original theatrical release, supervised and approved by director Paul Brickman and producer Jon Avnet, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary for the original theatrical release featuring Brickman, Avnet, and actor Tom Cruise
    • New interviews with Avnet and casting director Nancy Klopper
    • New conversation between editor Richard Chew and film historian Bobbie O’Steen
    • The Dream Is Always the Same: The Story of “Risky Business,” a program featuring interviews with Brickman, Avnet, cast members, and others
    • Screen tests with Cruise and actor Rebecca De Mornay
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film curator and critic Dave Kehr

New cover illustration by Jeremy Enecio

July 23, 2024

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Interested to see the Director’s Cut. I know Brickman’s preferred ending has been available to watch for awhile now, but has it ever been integrated into the film in an official release?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Interested to see the Director’s Cut. I know Brickman’s preferred ending has been available to watch for awhile now, but has it ever been integrated into the film in an official release?
Never knew there was an alternate ending filmed. I guess I’ll have to add this one to my collection.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The “happy” ending somehow seems darker and more cynical than the more sincere alternate ending.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I know Warner has licensed to Criterion before, but have they ever licensed a 4K release to Criterion? I'm asking because I wonder if this means that there will be no 4K digital of Risky Business.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I know Warner has licensed to Criterion before, but have they ever licensed a 4K release to Criterion? I'm asking because I wonder if this means that there will be no 4K digital of Risky Business.

I think Criterion remastered this 4K release, I don't think it was done by WB beforehand.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
They licenced Citizen Kane to Criterion and there’s a 4K digital of that.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
- Citizen Kane
- Shaft
- McCabe and Mrs. Miller
- Malcolm X
- Dreams
- Mean Streets
- Mildred Pierce
- After Hours
- Lone Star
- Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid

All Warners titles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
- Citizen Kane
- Shaft
- McCabe and Mrs. Miller
- Malcolm X
- Dreams
- Mean Streets
- Mildred Pierce
- After Hours
- Lone Star
- Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid

All Warners titles.
Thank you. That answers my question. None of those (except Kane) are available in 4K digital. Oh well, I guess Warner and Criterion can go on rewarding physical media buyers and ignore a major source of potential revenue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you. That answers my question. None of those are available in 4K digital. Oh well, I guess Warner and Criterion can go on rewarding physical media buyers and ignore a major source of potential revenue.
Citizen Kane is 4K/Dolby Vision.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The “happy” ending somehow seems darker and more cynical than the more sincere alternate ending.
That's ultimately why I prefer it, though I miss the gorgeous shot of Lake Shore Drive from the alternate ending. For me, the perfect ending would mostly use the alternate ending but replace Joel's "Isn't it grand?" voiceover line--which just ends the film on such a dour note--with the theatrical's more ambiguous "Time of your life, kid."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is very surprising to see coming from Criterion as this film is usually a cash cow title that WB reissues quite frequently.

We're in a different regime with Warner now. Since they entered into the SDS joint venture with Universal, they seem to be more willing to licence titles to Criterion, Shout!, etc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to this as I one. The black level always looked too elevated to me on the BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks