What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Fantastic Four (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wonder if they will all feel/look a tad too old by the very first sequel or something, if the first movie does well... but I guess there's always AI de-aging FX to help at least for a little while, LOL...

Well, The Thing won't actually need de-aging anyway (though any Ben Grimm in-normal-human-form reemergence will), hehheh...

They're certainly not pulling a Spidey w/ their choices of actor age/aging anyway...

_Man_
Not sure I follow.

Vanessa Kirby is 35 and Joseph Quinn is only 30. Pedro Pascal is 48, but Reed Richards is typically portrayed as more mature.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well Richards has always “looked” mature because of the grey sides But I don’t think he was thought to actually be that much older.

Also it’s different since Pedro actually is older at 48 and will be about 50 when filming is complete. And will be heading into his mid 50s if they make another movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well Richards has always “looked” mature because of the grey sides But I don’t think he was thought to actually be that much older.

Also it’s different since Pedro actually is older at 48 and will be about 50 when filming is complete. And will be heading into his mid 50s if they make another movie.
Reed is generally about 10 years older than Sue.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
When the FF debuted in 1961, the general consensus was that it was 1961 in the comic. Reed and Ben served together in WWII. Ben was a Marine test pilot. I assume he and Reed were mid-20s during the war. Maybe a tad older? So if they were, say, 25 in 1945, then they would be about 41 in 1961.

The early comics are fast and loose with whether Reed did his doctorate before the war (which would add a few years to his age) or after the war (which wouldn't add to his age).

Johnny was specifically noted to be 16 when the FF took their fateful journey into space.

Everything else about the FF gets all "squishy" (and changes a lot) as the Marvel timeline becomes "sliding scale". But generally, Reed and Ben are late 30s or early 40s, Johnny is a teen, and Sue is old enough to live by herself and raise Johnny, and also date Reed.

That's all to say I think the casting looks pretty solid, age-wise.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wonder if they will all feel/look a tad too old by the very first sequel or something, if the first movie does well... but I guess there's always AI de-aging FX to help at least for a little while, LOL...
If the MCU were in a better position at the moment, they might have felt safer casting younger unknowns who could grow into the roles. But as things stand right now, they probably wanted the best possible cast for this specific movie and they'll worry about the rest of it later.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
All the rumors I’ve read about their plans for this take have said that the movie will have these characters as already established as The Fantastic Four from the get go. Kevin Feige has confirmed that they aren’t doing an origin story.

Some of the rumors I’ve heard were that Reed and Sue would already be parents. Not sure if they are doing that here, but if so it makes sense to cast them about 10 years older than if they were doing and origin story for the team.

Anyway, solid cast.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
they probably wanted the best possible cast for this specific movie
But is this it? Aside from Pascal, I'm not really familiar with any of them. The first time I saw the announcement, I thought, "well, I guess they're not going for all big 'stars' in this cast."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m surprised people here arent aware of Kirby.
The other two guys not so much

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I’m very aware of Kirby. She will be a great Sue. The Bear is an excellent show, so I’m pleased with the Grimm casting. Guy also played Microchip in the Netflix Punisher show. He’s got chops for days.

the other dude was alright in Stranger Things.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is a great cast. Pascal we all know and love from so many things, like the Mandalorian, The Last of Us, and Game of Thrones. Kirby has been nominated for an Oscar and an Emmy, and she was amazing in The Crown. She’s also a lot of fun in the Mission Impossible movies. Quinn is well known from Stranger Things, and everyone I know loved his character. and Moss-Bachrach was terrific in season 1 of the Punisher and had a small but effective role in Andor.

Of all the actors who were rumored to be involved at one time or another, they pulled together a very strong cast.

I’m intrigued by the time period. If this does take place in the 60s (The Thing is holding an issue of Life from 1963), it could open new avenues of exploration for the MCU. How they tie the FF into their big Avengers crossover movies, I don’t know. Maybe the Negative Zone has ties to the Quantum Realm.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’ve been hearing Mads Mikkelsen and Cillian Murphy as contenders for Doom. But he’s not supposed to have a significant role in this movie according to rumors, so they have more time to cast him.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It just seems to me that they would be unlikely to use the same actor again in another role. This has only happened a few times in the MCU and, as far as I know, none of those people were in major roles the first time.
Wouldn’t have been what I would have expected either. But there is precedent with other actors/roles.

Kaecilius was a prominent villain in a big movie, but I think the role of Dr. Doom is somewhat different from typical roles since his face won’t be featured (at least it shouldn’t be). If it’s more of a voice role like Hugo Weaving in “V for Vendetta” then having appeared as another character in Doctor Strange is not a big deal.

I think he would be good in the role, but I think there are probably others that could be just as good. I do think Murphy would be great. But rumors are rumors and it could be anyone.

The tricky thing is to find someone who is okay with not having their face on screen and that can compensate for that with a strong vocal performance.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Doom isn’t just an antagonist for a single film, or for the Fantastic Four and those actors. Frankly, he’s their chance to possibly recapture the shared universe (shared threat) that the first three Phases enjoyed. Casting him is critical, especially since Kang Dynasty is DOA and both Secret Wars comics focused on Doom.

Besides, Doom isn’t a super-villain. He’s THE super-villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks