What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Fantastic Four (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
When the FF debuted in 1961, the general consensus was that it was 1961 in the comic. Reed and Ben served together in WWII. Ben was a Marine test pilot. I assume he and Reed were mid-20s during the war.

Not only that, but they also knew Nick Fury from the war.

Generally speaking, unless specifically noted otherwise (like war comics, western comics, etc.) comics tended to thought of as contemporaneous. Things eventually got "squishy" mostly due to Marvel wanting to connect their comics to real world events.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’m intrigued by the time period. If this does take place in the 60s (The Thing is holding an issue of Life from 1963), it could open new avenues of exploration for the MCU. How they tie the FF into their big Avengers crossover movies, I don’t know. Maybe the Negative Zone has ties to the Quantum Realm.

I'm wondering if they plan to have the FF in a different universe -- within the multiverse -- from the default timeline, unless they want to do some serious retconning. It seems clear from The Avengers that superheroes -- except for Captain America -- were virtually unknown before Iron Man and Hulk appeared. They managed to get away with the Ant-Man and Wasp (Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne versions) appearing earlier since they apparently weren't known to the public. Ditto Captain Marvel.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not only that, but they also knew Nick Fury from the war.

Generally speaking, unless specifically noted otherwise (like war comics, western comics, etc.) comics tended to thought of as contemporaneous. Things eventually got "squishy" mostly due to Marvel wanting to connect their comics to real world events.
I don't even know if Frank is still the comic book Punisher but that character can't still be a Vietnam vet, right? I know Garth Ennis writes him that way but I assume everyone else has had to bump up his war to something more modern.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I don't even know if Frank is still the comic book Punisher but that character can't still be a Vietnam vet, right? I know Garth Ennis writes him that way but I assume everyone else has had to bump up his war to something more modern.
Interestingly, Marvel introduced the "Siancong War" as a sort of stand-in conflict for WW2, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War (and, I think, the wars in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan). Whenever a character needs to have fought in a war, it's probably been retconned to the Siancong War. It's now where Reed, Ben, and Frank Castle all fought, and where Tony Stark was captured and created the first Iron Man suit.

The Marvel sliding scale is a tad silly, but sort of interesting. To distill it down to the simplest form, it's all based around the flight in which the Fantastic Four obtain their powers. That's the "start" of the modern Marvel era. That's always thirteen years ago. All other events--from the spider bite that creates Spider-Man to the murder of Frank Castle's family to the Weapon-X program--all happen relative to the F4 flight 13 years ago.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Robert Meyer Burnett ID'd the LIFE magazine that Ben Grimm is holding as the December 1963 issue with LBJ on the cover.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interestingly, Marvel introduced the "Siancong War" as a sort of stand-in conflict for WW2, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War (and, I think, the wars in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan). Whenever a character needs to have fought in a war, it's probably been retconned to the Siancong War. It's now where Reed, Ben, and Frank Castle all fought, and where Tony Stark was captured and created the first Iron Man suit.

The Marvel sliding scale is a tad silly, but sort of interesting. To distill it down to the simplest form, it's all based around the flight in which the Fantastic Four obtain their powers. That's the "start" of the modern Marvel era. That's always thirteen years ago. All other events--from the spider bite that creates Spider-Man to the murder of Frank Castle's family to the Weapon-X program--all happen relative to the F4 flight 13 years ago.

I wonder how they’ll handle Magneto (if they haven’t done so already, I’m behind the times) - him having survived the Holocaust has been such a major part of his history for the time I’ve followed the character that I can’t imagine it being any other way

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I noticed this almost right away on the poster, that Marvel logo is done in the same design as the Cinerama logo.

1963 was a big year for the 60's, so for this new take on the foursome it will be interesting to see if this is to be true.

1708054275145.png

1708054466626.png

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
^ You never know, Disney could very well shoot the film for Cinerama if they want to; it is Disney after all.

Doing the Marvel logo like that is a fun homage to the 60's where The Fantastic Four was created and first released.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm wondering if they plan to have the FF in a different universe -- within the multiverse -- from the default timeline, unless they want to do some serious retconning. It seems clear from The Avengers that superheroes -- except for Captain America -- were virtually unknown before Iron Man and Hulk appeared. They managed to get away with the Ant-Man and Wasp (Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne versions) appearing earlier since they apparently weren't known to the public. Ditto Captain Marvel.
It’s quite possible they are going that route. If Secret Wars brings people from multiple different universes together that could be a way to reshuffle things and bring them into the contemporary MCU (or a “new MCU”).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m not outraged or even angry. I just would have liked Norrin Radd first or at least also in this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Julia Garner is a fantastic actress. We already got the the Norrin Radd version in the 2007 Tim Story movie, and that was a disaster. So I can't blame them for wanting to try something different.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
We could see them merge into our universe because of what happened in Spider-Man and the second Dr. Strange.

There really wasn’t much discussion about other superheroes previously. They just didn’t focus on it in those films and made no mention of anyone. Doesn’t mean that they didn’t exist.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks