What's new
World Wide Stereo

Ring Pro Doorbell (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What we experience:
  • A ring from someone pushing the button, we get the chimes within a second and can connect to live video to talk with someone.
  • Motion alert, we can’t get live video. We have to wait a few minutes until the video is up on the cloud for access

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Assuming the warrantless access part is true, it ensures I never add a Ring device to my house.

EDIT - that article is confusing. It says that police can access "publicly available footage via a special portal without a warrant" - which is fine and I would expect that; not that they can get your own, un-shared footage, without a warrant. The words "request" & "ask" and "warrant" don't go together, so something is off in that report.

Last edited:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don’t see the big deal. Police can ask residents for their footage. It’s no different from every other camera/system owner.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I don’t see the big deal. Police can ask residents for their footage. It’s no different from every other camera/system owner.
This was a poorly written article before he edited it. There's nothing here other than an ability to see video you have already chosen to MAKE PUBLIC without a warrant. The rest is just a convenience factor IMO.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It seems weird and inappropriate for a public govt agency (police] to be shilling a company’s product, predicated on secret contractual quid pro quo.

“Amazon Requires Police to Shill Surveillance Cameras in Secret Agreement - VICE”
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/arti...hill-surveillance-cameras-in-secret-agreement

Amazon's home security company Ring has enlisted local police departments around the country to advertise its surveillance cameras in exchange for free Ring products and a “portal” that allows police to request footage from these cameras, a secret agreement obtained by Motherboard shows. The agreement also requires police to “keep the terms of this program confidential.”

Last edited:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It seems weird and inappropriate for a public govt agency (police] to be shilling a company’s product, predicated on secret contractual quid pro quo.

“Amazon Requires Police to Shill Surveillance Cameras in Secret Agreement - VICE”
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/arti...hill-surveillance-cameras-in-secret-agreement

I can see people having an issue with the police pushing one product over another, but I think the initial privacy concerns raised by police having access to request footage are over blown. They are able to see videos that people on their own share on the neighbors site, and if there was a crime reported in an area (say car prowl or porch package theft both common in my area) they could see cameras in the area (no addresses) and ask the owners via email if they had any related footage they would be willing to share. Camera owners could always say "no" or "sorry I don't have anything related on my camera".

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's what is publicly known Adam. The implication is that due to your TOS agreement Amazon can share your private videos with it's partners, INCLUDING THE POLICE, without a warrant.

Anything further on this subject is going to go to P&R, but if you can't see that that's a problem nothing I say will change your PoV.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I finally got my Spotlight camera connected. The pics it takes of my backyard and deck are awwwesome.

upload_2019-8-17_12-16-25.jpeg

Really great colors and details

As you can see it’s just below and away from my retractable awning. Unfortunately the awning requires 2 plugs going to my waterproof receptacle. Not sure how I can fit a 3rd plug in the box. Will have to talk to Home Depot dudes

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I finally got my Spotlight camera connected. The pics it takes of my backyard and deck are awwwesome.

View attachment 61891

Really great colors and details

As you can see it’s just below and away from my retractable awning. Unfortunately the awning requires 2 plugs going to my waterproof receptacle. Not sure how I can fit a 3rd plug in the box. Will have to talk to Home Depot dudes
Do you mean it actually uses two plugs or it just uses one and blocks another. I hate these engineers who think their product is the only one on the planet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m kinda jelly of your patio furniture. I’ve been wanting for several years to get casual deck furniture but haven’t found what I’m looking for. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Do you mean it actually uses two plugs or it just uses one and blocks another. I hate these engineers who think their product is the only one on the planet.

I have a duplex box. I need 3 plugs:
Awning
Awning lights
Ring camera

I’m kinda jelly of your patio furniture. I’ve been wanting for several years to get casual deck furniture but haven’t found what I’m looking for. :)

All Costco based!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks