What's new

2019 Black Friday blu ray and UHd Blu ray deals (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wow. Didn't know about that deal. I just bought Returns and Forever for $30. I'll get '89 also and just wait until I can get Batman and Robin for super cheap somewhere down the line. I'm in no hurry for that one.

I sold my old Blu ray set so I was very motivated to pick up the UHd set right away.

slickdeals is another great way to go for price searches.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As recently as two years ago, I walked out of BB with 10 discs. Last night? Grand total of two (I had four on the list).

Hellboy and Dark Phoenix might be an online purchase if I get bored later...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don’t think many non-audiophiles can distinguish a difference, especially, if they’re playing the movie in real time from their normal sitting position.
I agree, and the equipment plays a big part in it. Like I said, almost 95% of the cost of my system has gone into audio. The fact is, you don't have to spend a ton of money to get really good visual presentation. When I get an OLED, it'll cost 50-100% more than the plasma that I have now, but that's still about 1/10 of what just my front speaker pair would cost, if I was to get something on par with them today. Really good audio equipment is just expensive. Of course, I've had those speakers for 27 years, and you'd never buy a TV that you'd want to use for that long a time, or that would even last that long.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree, and the equipment plays a big part in it. Like I said, almost 95% of the cost of my system has gone into audio. The fact is, you don't have to spend a ton of money to get really good visual presentation. When I get an OLED, it'll cost 50-100% more than the plasma that I have now, but that's still about 1/10 of what just my front speaker pair would cost, if I was to get something on par with them today. Really good audio equipment is just expensive. Of course, I've had those speakers for 27 years, and you'd never buy a TV that you'd want to use for that long a time, or that would even last that long.
Good for you, but, I'm not an audiophile like you. I'm not even a videophile perse as I'm more of a movie buff than being hung up on A/V equipment, specs and performance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good for you, but, I'm not an audiophile like you. I'm not even a videophile perse as I'm more of a movie buff than being hung up on A/V equipment, specs and performance.
LOL! That was very tactful, and I grasp the intent fully. :P

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But, I guarantee, if you sat down in the room, turned down the lights and queued up a top-notch HD recording of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, closed your eyes, and found yourself transported to Davies Symphony Hall... like you were actually there... you'd get it.

Despite the impression you might have gotten. When I'm exploring equipment and the best way to implement it, I get into the weeds and nit-pick it to the best I can achieve. BUT. Once I'm done... I'm done. I turn out the lights, forget about it, and just enjoy. I realize I don't come across that way, because what the people here see is the first part, because that's the only part this forum can actually participate in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But, I guarantee, if you sat down in the room, turned down the lights and queued up a top-notch HD recording of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, closed your eyes, and found yourself transported to Davies Symphony Hall... like you were actually there... you'd get it.
Of course I would, if I was an audiophile. I am, what I am just a regular mug that loves movies.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
As recently as two years ago, I walked out of BB with 10 discs. Last night? Grand total of two (I had four on the list).

If there was more 007, Star Trek, Star Wars, back to the future on 4k to buy I would’ve spent more.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Nothing for me today online and most likely nothing for cyber Monday if that’s still a thing. I’ve seen some good and a few great prices out there, but I’m just not feeling the urgency for some reason. I think it might be because I started using a HTPC. New discs get ripped and immediately go into storage for backup. Quality is identical, usage is super easy, but it’s less sexy than physical collecting in that there’s no “ooo shiny” new disc smell or whatever. It was more fun for me to buy discs of movies to put on my shelf even if they don’t get watched right away; it’s not quite as fun to buy a disc just to rip the data if it’s not going to be in display or not watched right away.

I’m not stopping my disc purchases. But I’ve noticed a good price, in and of itself, isn’t enough for me anymore. That the disc is on sale for $3.99 isn’t the only part of the equation anymore because I still have to decide if it’s worth a spot of limited shelf space or the cost of hard drive storage plus the hassle of physically storing the disc. So now I’m basically buying stuff only when it’s something I’m ready to watch now, and not letting the sales dictate my purchase choices. I may be spending on average more per title but less overall because I’m cutting out impulse buys that aren’t getting watched. The money savings no longer matter as much as the space and time.

This all evolved very quickly for me and I didn’t see it coming a year ago.

But I still can’t help but browse the online stores even if I walk away empty handed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Here's my movies and TV haul for 2019:
blackfriday-2019-png.65548

First year where all of my purchases were online. I had to pick up a prescription at Walmart this evening, so I dug through the bins. There were quite a few 4K UHD discs left, but they were all either movies I already had or weren't interested in.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Supernatural S14
Arrow S7

$9.99 each on blu-ray from Best Buy.

Batman
Batman Returns 4K

Less than $15 each at Deep Discount.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Aren't you the same guy who bought the LG C9 instead of the B9 because it "might" be better, even though there's not much indication it is, but you didn't want to have to live with second thoughts about your choice? I'm just saying, equipment, specs and performance clearly do matter to you, at least to some degree. Anyone who buys an OLED is concerned with specs and performance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aren't you the same guy who bought the LG C9 instead of the B9 because it "might" be better, even though there's not much indication it is, but you didn't want to have to live with second thoughts about your choice? I'm just saying, equipment, specs and performance clearly do matter to you, at least to some degree. Anyone who buys an OLED is concerned with specs and performance.
Do I want a great picture? Of course, I do. Do I want superior audio performance? Yes, but, not to the level you've set for yourself. Again, I'm more of a movie buff than somebody that is obsessive with HT specs. I buy HT equipment that I can afford so I don't have buyer's remorse which is a purchasing philosophy that I use for all my purchases not just HT equipment. I think I already stated my purchasing philosophy in another thread. Anyhow, I"m done going back and forth on this particular issue with you because I'm not like Sam.:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Big Lots has an assortment of DVD/blu for $1.88 and $2.88. Also some other titles marked $5 seem to be ringing up at $2.88.

I picked up the blu-ray trilogy of Star Trek II/III/IV for $2.88 (marked $5). Had to pay $5 for the blu-ray of ST: The Motion Picture by itself. :P

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Big Lots has an assortment of DVD/blu for $1.88 and $2.88. Also some other titles marked $5 seem to be ringing up at $2.88.

I picked up the blu-ray trilogy of Star Trek II/III/IV for $2.88 (marked $5). Had to pay $5 for the blu-ray of ST: The Motion Picture by itself. :P

Wow!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks