What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Disney stopped 4K/UHD releases for most Catalog Titles? (1 Viewer)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Thank you, Nick. One can only hope some sense to be seen and release in quality versions of the many classics and near classics in the combined Disney vault. These are films that deserve to be seen by new as well as past generations of film lovers.
From a financial perspective it would appear too make sense to monetise these assets as there is still an audience who is happy to spend money on then product.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
No 3D, no 4K and forget SOTS and Fox. Damn the Mouse!
I think it's a two part problem. The younger generation does not want to own physical media so there is no future for such. I only buy DVDs and Blu-Rays for the bonus features including commentary tracks which are not normally featured on streaming services. Besides with the introduction of 4 K I understand those sets don't support 3D. Big mistake because there doesn't seem to be enough market to support 4K only. Besides I'm sure dealers are getting fed up with duplicate inventory when 4 K and Blu Ray are separate. If combined, the average person probably doesn't want to pay for a 4K disk when they have nothing to play it on. These are problems created by the industry. And yes I can see the argument they want to grow Disney+.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
We admire your spirit but Disney seems to have a different strategy. But things can change. Right now ALL major media companies are chasing ROI/profitability. Physical media is like the magazine business. It still exists but very diminished. They want you to stream. They don't want to physically manufacture, ship, print, warehouse. They don't want headcount. Does that mean that a lot of titles will never be available on physical media ? Sadly yes. Be thankful for the companies that do produce and license and be realistic about the ones that don't and never will.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The younger generation does not want to own physical media

With respect, I don’t think it’s a generational divide so much as it is a “general public” vs “enthusiast” divide.

For many years, having access to a title was connected to being in possession of a physical item.

Evolutions in technology have changed that, and we are now in a position where one can have access to content without needing a physical object.

That has affected the purchasing decisions of people across all age groups and other demographics.

Outside of this forum, I do not know anyone who remains interested in collecting physical media. That is consistent among all age groups, whether it’s my significantly younger siblings and cousins, my peers and friends in my age range who once enjoyed collecting but no longer do, and my older parents and relatives.

I think it’s a mistake to write it off as being an age or generational thing. There are 30 year old enthusiasts who are happy to spend on physical media, and 65 year old movie fans who aren’t interested in buying discs.

How many people still wanted 8-tracks when CDs came about?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Well Iger seems to be realizing they killed their vid biz for streaming and he seems to be saying we can do both Disney needs someone like Maltin to curate their library and start issuing product that will bring in revenue sure it wont bring in billion s but it aint hay either Let me tell you I was on a call with a vid firm and a studio and was told their now defunct deal with Fox resulted in a 1 million royalty to FOX pre Disney

This info is also shocking
41 million vinyl units

In 2022, 41 million vinyl units were sold compared to 33 million CDs, highlighting a "remarkable resurgence" of the physical music format, per the report released Thursday. Vinyl records made up a total of 70% of all physical music sales in 2022, bringing in a total of $1.2 billion in revenue, according to RIAA.

Vinyl Record Sales Surpassed CDs for First Time in 35 Years

www.businessinsider.com/vinyl-sales-surpass-cds-first-time-since-1987-record-r…

r

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With respect, I don’t think it’s a generational divide so much as it is a “general public” vs “enthusiast” divide.

For many years, having access to a title was connected to being in possession of a physical item.

Evolutions in technology have changed that, and we are now in a position where one can have access to content without needing a physical object.

That has affected the purchasing decisions of people across all age groups and other demographics.

Outside of this forum, I do not know anyone who remains interested in collecting physical media. That is consistent among all age groups, whether it’s my significantly younger siblings and cousins, my peers and friends in my age range who once enjoyed collecting but no longer do, and my older parents and relatives.

I think it’s a mistake to write it off as being an age or generational thing. There are 30 year old enthusiasts who are happy to spend on physical media, and 65 year old movie fans who aren’t interested in buying discs.

How many people still wanted 8-tracks when CDs came about?
If 4K HDR Atmos movies could be stamped onto vinyl albums, they'd sell like gangbusters. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well Iger seems to be realizing they killed their vid biz for streaming and he seems to be saying we can do both Disney needs someone like Maltin to curate their library and start issuing product that will bring in revenue sure it wont bring in billion s but it aint hay either Let me tell you I was on a call with a vid firm and a studio and was told their now defunct deal with Fox resulted in a 1 million royalty to FOX pre Disney

41 million vinyl units

In 2022, 41 million vinyl units were sold compared to 33 million CDs, highlighting a "remarkable resurgence" of the physical music format, per the report released Thursday. Vinyl records made up a total of 70% of all physical music sales in 2022, bringing in a total of $1.2 billion in revenue, according to RIAA.

r
Guess what the revenues are for streaming music? I bet it's a lot more than 1.2 billion.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Cratediggers, rejoice: Vinyl is back. Maica/Getty Images
  • Vinyl sales beat out CDs for the first time since 1987, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.
  • While streaming still reigns supreme, physical music sales are making a "remarkable resurgence," RIAA said.
  • Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, and Olivia Rodrigo topped vinyl sales this year, per Luminate.
WAC has nearly 229K people on their FB page Firms in AU UK releasing product like crazy - KINO SHOUT VCI others issuing product Bob Blair at VCI said in an interview that with vinyl making a comeback he thinks their will always be home vid too - Iger seems to be
GREAT Letter!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Guess what the revenues are for streaming music? I bet it's a lot more than 1.2 billion.
1.2 billion makes them smile though -they need a all of the above approach -- or they will goo out of biz Disney and WB have to much debt - WB is looking at selling their Music Rights for 1 billion

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As we’ve discussed many times in many other threads, boutique labels are releasing more titles than ever because licensing costs are down, and those costs are down because demand is much more limited than it had been in years past.

Kino releasing lots of product in short periods of time is not evidence that physical media sales are growing substantially or a growth business. It is actually the opposite. It is a sign that that segment of the business is winding down. It is the fire sale before the business closes.

While I think it makes sense for Disney to increase physical media output in areas where they can bring in a little extra revenue without expending more effort, this should not be interpreted in any way as physical media making some kind of stream-killing resurgence.

And that’s just gross revenue. That number is going to be a lot smaller when the cost of raw materials, manufacturing, and distribution are taken out. Vinyl is a niche industry. And that’s perfectly ok. The reason it is successful as a niche industry is that the companies who make vinyl and the consumers who buy it understand that and aren’t trying to make it into something more than it is.

There is nothing wrong with physical media being a niche industry. There is nothing wrong with preferring physical media. But I am not sure why there must be a constant questioning of physical media’s appeal to the general public when the sales numbers clearly indicate it is no longer a mass market format.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
1.2 billion makes them smile though -they need a all of the above approach -- or they will goo out of biz Disney and WB have to much debt - WB is looking at selling their Music Rights for 1 billion

41 million vinyl units

When I read what major media companies "should" and "need" to do, I always chuckle.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
As we’ve discussed many times in many other threads, boutique labels are releasing more titles than ever because licensing costs are down, and those costs are down because demand is much more limited than it had been in years past.

Kino releasing lots of product in short periods of time is not evidence that physical media sales are growing substantially or a growth business. It is actually the opposite. It is a sign that that segment of the business is winding down. It is the fire sale before the business closes.

While I think it makes sense for Disney to increase physical media output in areas where they can bring in a little extra revenue without expending more effort, this should not be interpreted in any way as physical media making some kind of stream-killing resurgence.

And that’s just gross revenue. That number is going to be a lot smaller when the cost of raw materials, manufacturing, and distribution are taken out. Vinyl is a niche industry. And that’s perfectly ok. The reason it is successful as a niche industry is that the companies who make vinyl and the consumers who buy it understand that and aren’t trying to make it into something more than it is.

There is nothing wrong with physical media being a niche industry. There is nothing wrong with preferring physical media. But I am not sure why there must be a constant questioning of physical media’s appeal to the general public when the sales numbers clearly indicate it is no longer a mass market format.
You always enlighten!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
1.2 billion makes them smile though -they need a all of the above approach -- or they will goo out of biz Disney and WB have to much debt - WB is looking at selling their Music Rights for 1

Once again, be thankful for Warner Archive, Criterion, Koch, Cohen, ClassicFlix, Shout, Kino, Eureka, Indicator, etc.etc. I have varied and often niche tastes and almost everything I could have dreamed of owning is available on blu ray at this point. Some are out of print but I still have them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just to divert the discussion for a moment and speaking about physical media. This morning about 3:30, I ordered three WA Blu-rays from Amazon. At 5:30 this afternoon, Camille, I'll Cry Tomorrow and The Long, Long Trailer were delivered to me. I'm in shock as that is only 14 hours after ordering them on-line.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Iger really is living in the 1990s if he thinks physical media releases are going to be some kind of golden egg of revenue to Disney.

The only reason for buying any of Disney's latest films animated or otherwise is if Iger released all of them in home 3D. Other than that why would I spend money to buy UHD copies that are already on Disney+ in UHD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks